1977 Comments Please

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bryan Moran

1977 Comments Please

Post by Bryan Moran »

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/5574696562.html

I spotted this on Denver CL. I thought it was interesting but I don't know much about the early cars. It appears to have U.S. bumpers, but maybe the more knowledgeable can educate me.

Rare? Worth saving and mild restoration? Fun driving experience compared to newer 6's? Any comments welcome. Thanks
Bryan Moran

1962 Triumph TR4
griffo

Re: 1977 Comments Please

Post by griffo »

hi mate greeting from aussie!
it appears to be the rare reseda green!
despite the hideous us bumpers it is a nice car!
if your plans are to do any mods DO NOT get it! you will run into so much strife with the e12 setup! get a later model with the rear loader diff and e28 set up!
but if your plans are to by a 6er to enjoy for 2k that is a steal even to part it out you would earn a pretty penny!
I have basically the same thing and I am loving it every day as back in the day barly anyone could afford these things and now you can own one so its a bit of a cool thing! DONT PASS THE OPERTUNITY AND BUY IT!
Bryan Moran

Post by Bryan Moran »

I am a little surprised I have not received a few more comments. I am in touch with the seller, and the car has not sold. 1st year for the 6 in the United States, it's a manual (but then perhaps most 1977's were manual, I don't know.

Overall it looks nice to me. Not a fan of the updated wheels in this case, but I had to give away my last set of BMW 15 x 7 wheels. They would have looked nice on this car.

I have a question on the carpet. It appears pretty worn and I would not mind putting in new carpet if I buy. Where do I get new carpet (if any) for this car? What vendor?
Bryan Moran

1962 Triumph TR4
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Hey Bryan. Owner is a member here I think. Decent US bumper car, needs some interior work but nice Gobi Beige, missing the rear bumper end as shown but the rust is what would scare me. But that's only because of Cali, others repair much worse than that.

Positives are nice color combo, rear headrests, 3 pedals, possibly a sideloader LSD and appears to have been taken care of recently. Engine compartment looks clean but investigate the rust under the brake fluid reservoir. Good luck.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Isn't this the same example?!?

Post by GRNSHRK »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26845

From our own board, "Reseda" has been a member for quite some time =D>

These '77 examples would have been manufactured at the Karmann site before production moved to Munich or wherever they picked up :-?

Early example for sure, but perhaps not necessarily "worth" more because of it's age, even though it has survived for almost 40 years \:D/

In reality, these cars are only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for them :-({|=
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Buy it...drive it...enjoy it. However if you feel the need to restore it, your purchase price will be the least of your outlays. Like they say: "perfection costs, so how perfect do you want to be?"
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Bryan Moran

Post by Bryan Moran »

Thanks all that helps a lot. All I would want to do is continue the maintenance and replacement of worn parts such as the carpet and front seats. While I understand it won't be the perfomance car that a later 635 would be, nor is it in my opinion as attaractive as a front air dam car like my 1985 Federal was, I still like original production cars. These are so rare to find in driver condition based on my CL searches. It's much easier to locate a 1984ish to 1988 car.

Thanks for the link to his postings, gives me more insight into the car and the owner. It's interesting, the 3.0's are hot right now and command a pretty high price for there styling and period acceptable performance, their place in BMW history. But these early 630 may never reach thos heights? I don't buy cars for appreciation in value. I would just buy this car and as suggested own it, drive it and enjoy it so I will continue to reach out to the seller. I have his phone number now but it's a holiday weekend.
Bryan Moran

1962 Triumph TR4