Clunking sound when turning steering wheel

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

vtince

Clunking sound when turning steering wheel

Post by vtince »

Hey Guys, I have a problem with my steering on my e24 L6. I have already did a Brucey fix on the steering box and now it is not moving at all and fixed the steering play I had.

The problem comes now when I turn the steering wheel to the right or left when I'm stationary or going slow through a turn, I'll hear a pop/clunk, then when I turn to the opposite direction, I'll hear a pop/clunk again. The pop/clunk can be reproduced when I turn the steering wheel slowly or fast, doesn't matter. It sounds and feels like when the pop/clunk happens, its releasing tension. Also when the pop/clunk happens, the steering wheel angle is changed by a couple of degrees, (not as much as the broken steering box bracket)

Anyway, any idea on where to look? When front end is up in the air, I cant get it to clunk, so front end must be loaded.

Thanks!
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clunking sound when turning steering wheel

Post by 86_6series »

Just to be clear, is the Brucey fix the bolt support to the sub frame?

The steering play fixed? Do you mean you adjusted the lash on the steering box,

or was the Brucey fix that stopped the play?

Is the engine running when up in the air?

I posted on bimmerforum also.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if the steering box fix isn't done right the steering box can still move perhaps?

However symptoms of the sort you describe can also be caused by iffy strut top bearings, so check those too.

If the play exists whenever the steering direction is altered, even for small movements, it is likely to be some part of the steering linkage that has the fault still, rather than the strut top bearings.

It is sometimes possible to diagnose these things with the car up on a set of ramps, so that you can see under there whilst there is still weight on the wheels.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
603racing

Post by 603racing »

I've also seen the strut mount nuts tightened too much cause binding with strut top bearings Brucey mentioned.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

603racing wrote:I've also seen the strut mount nuts tightened too much cause binding with strut top bearings Brucey mentioned.
if (within reason) this occurs, it often means that the STBs are screwed. Backing the nut off can appear to allow 'normal operation' by letting the strut swivel within the seized bearing.

cheers
603racing

Post by 603racing »

Very good point.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I have similar clunking, but it's due to custom spacers I fabricated to restore front end geometry. My sway bar end links touch the center link. I can resolve by fabricating some slightly shorter end links, but haven't gotten around to it. I second Bruceys suggestion. Strut top bearings are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. If yours are of unknown age, or show any cracking, it might not be a bad idea to replace just to eliminate that as a possibility. If they are cracking, I bet they have sagged a bit too.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

If it sounds like somebody hitting the tyre with a hammer, I had this. In my case the strut top bearings needed to be replaced.
Oct. '81 635
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Had the same sort of 'springy' clunking noise. This persisted for several years and several MOT's (car does minimal annual mileage)

Changed garage and car immediately failed MOT due to broken steering box bracket and a worn ball joint on a suspension arm.

Had the steering box fracture welded and reinforced and a new suspension ball joint and the clunking has now stopped.

Left me wondering about previous MOT's
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Da_Hose wrote:Strut top bearings are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. If yours are of unknown age, or show any cracking, it might not be a bad idea to replace just to eliminate that as a possibility. If they are cracking, I bet they have sagged a bit too.
Jose (or others): my '88 M6 (build 9/87) occasionally makes a noise which could be due to this issue. Could you post up the part number(s) for my car? As usual, the terminology used in RealOEM isn't helping much in determining what BMW would call the strut-top bearings. :roll:
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Looks like the original part number is defunct, and cross-references to a new number.

Here is the original # 31331124508

Here is the cross ref. # 31-33-1-139-452

Here is a link to FCPEuro to buy them. I like FCPEuro because every part they sell carries a lifetime warranty. They have the Sachs (good quality) in stock.

[url]https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywor ... 39-452[url]

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Thanks. As expected, RealOEM uses the very descriptive term "Guide Support".
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

PTFunk wrote:Thanks. As expected, RealOEM uses the very descriptive term "Guide Support".
probably translates from something vaguely meaningful in German to something vaguely meaningless in English. And they say they have no sense of humour!

cheers
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Da_Hose wrote:Looks like the original part number is defunct, and cross-references to a new number.

Here is the original # 31331124508

Here is the cross ref. # 31-33-1-139-452
O.K., embarrassingly enough I'm just now getting back to this job, after dealing w/ several jobs on my daily driver. My M6 has only gotten driven for the occasional weekend errand, so the clunking hasn't been a routine thing.

While I'm replacing the strut-top bearings, should I be changing anything else out? I don't want to turn this into a 'big' job, but until I install lowering springs and new or rebuilt shocks (hopefully this summer), I'd like to do the minimum to keep things healthy.
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Follow-up question: what torque should I apply to the nuts on top of the strut tower? Of the torques listed below, I'd guess that it's the "spring strut mount to wheel house", but correct me if I'm wrong.
Attachments
E24 suspesion torques.JPG
E24 suspesion torques.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 10763 times
603racing

Post by 603racing »

You could check the sway bar link bushings. They are easy to replace if worn. Control arm bushings are another wear item to check. If you're removing the strut, that's half the work to replace many other things.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ