1980 Euro Central Locking

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Wilco

1980 Euro Central Locking

Post by Wilco »

Trying to get the bastardized central locking system working and think the relay is bad. Only getting 11 volts to the right door actuator. Left door works sluggish but acceptable. Toke most of the dash apart, but can't find the relay. Also could use a schematic since most of the wires were cut and replaced with different colors.
Can anybody help with these problems?
Wilco
Wilco
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1980 Euro Central Locking

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hi Wilco, attaching the wiring diagram for 1980 =D>

It appears that there isn't much between the battery and power window in-line breaker :-k

Me thinks that you should follow the red/green wire from the in-line breaker which is in the knee panel beneath the steering column, should lead you to the relay, which I think is also under there as well :-?

Can't advise when wire colors have been changed, if there's one thing I hate on these cars is "custom wiring" [-X
Attachments
633 CSi wiring diagram.pdf
(241.88 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
v-wiz

Post by v-wiz »

That diagram is helpful thanks
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

There is no relay in the driver's footwell so I tracked the red/green wire up behind the instrument cluster. I'm trying to get the instrument cluster out to get a good look behind and replace the light bulbs. Unfortunately the speedometer cable is preventing the panel coming forward. Any suggestions?
Wilco
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Late reply, off line for almost a week #-o

I know, I'm bad with getting on a computer when I'm not at work :oops:

The speedo cable is threaded onto the back of the speedo itself, can you reach it :-k

You also may need to lower the steering column in order to get to the back of the cluster, and that's no fun either [-X
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Thx for all your help Green Shark, but I'm at my wits end. Managed to get my hand behind the instrument panel and undue the speedometer cable. No relays in sight.
Since the wiring was cut by one of the previous owners, none of the current wiring matches for color or number of wires, and since I can't find the relay, I think I may secure the wires and use a key to open the doors and trunk. I've already bought a self locking gas cap just to show my car I mean business. Didn't work.
Thanks again for your advice and the schematic. Merry Christmas
Wilco
Wilco
miklilmag

Post by miklilmag »

Hello,
The relay/module in the later series is in the trunk/boot next to the lock, maybe series 1 the same
Franke