1983 533 Donor for Trans Swap?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GLORENTZ

1983 533 Donor for Trans Swap?

Post by GLORENTZ »

I have searched and the topic has been covered but I am paranoid with everything I do.

I have a 87 635 auto, I found a half decent 533 manual donar car. Engine doesn't run. Does this car have everything I need to do the manaul swap ? Is the cluster the same ?

Again I am new to the forum and I know its been beat to death but new blood here
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: 1983 533 Donor for Trans Swap?

Post by Brucey »

BMWs work on build date or chassis number, not model year.

This means that perhaps both the '83 and the '87 could be quite different things depending on the exact build date.

You can find out exactly what you are dealing with if you know the build date or the chassis numbers.

In particular pre 6/87 motronic builds use two crank sensors in the bellhousing; if the 533 doesn't have those in its gearbox and you need them, you are stuffed.

Even if the parts fit, there are many different gearbox and gearing options; you might want the diff etc from the 533 as well.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GLORENTZ

Post by GLORENTZ »

Super appreciate the help. I do not know the build date on the 533. I'll have to check my car. I would have the entire donor car. It's a full car minus the engine is blown. I read about the pedal assembly not being plug and play. But the drive line aka the trans rear diff and stuff I was hoping. Along with the ecu I would assume I would need.

I ran a garage and have excesses to alot of resources this is just new territory
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

you don't need to swap the ECU or the cluster. Pretty much the only electrical change required is to bypass the starter inhibit on the auto shifter.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Brucey , Doesn't the 533 have the holes in the bellhousing and the speed and ref sensors? I just parted a 83 633 and I thought it had them

I use this page on Mye28 when I need to remind myself of the different years transmissions etc:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61367

The tranny in the 533/633 is unfortunately the least desirable one for our cars. It will work though.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen