Fuel pump electrical connection

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

SoCalE24

Fuel pump electrical connection

Post by SoCalE24 »

Does switching the two terminals (-,+) cause the car to run for about 2 seconds and then dies? Replaced the fuel pump because it had died after long storage. Don't know if I connected the two terminals correctly. If I turn the key to on but not start, I get fuel. I crank and the car will start for about 2 seconds and then dies like it is out of gas. Could the switched terminals cause it to stop running? Any advice is welcome in advance.

SoCalE224
1987 M6
marc79euro645

Re: Fuel pump electrical connection

Post by marc79euro645 »

most dc motor will reverse direction if you reverse polarity. If you have it wired it wrong it would suck gas from the fuel rail as soon as you turn key so I don't think it would run at all.
SoCalE24

Re: Fuel pump electrical connection

Post by SoCalE24 »

Update, the pump terminal connection was correct. Turns out the fuel rail was clogged with old gas residue. Injectors were probably the same. Flushed rail with carb cleaner. Some gunk came out. Filled it again with cleaner and allowed to soak for a while. Assembled the rail with the fpr after cleaning and the car fired right up. Was rough for about a minute then it smoothed out.

SoCalE24