AC compressor leak ('88 M6)

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tmoretta

AC compressor leak ('88 M6)

Post by tmoretta »

There is an oily leak coming from my AC compressor. Is there a way to repair/change the front seal without emptying the refrigerant?
Tommys 89 635

Re: AC compressor leak ('88 M6)

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Probably not. You'd have to take it take it out to rebuild it or buy a new one. if you haven't converted to the new refrigerant, it's probably the best time to do so.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Definitely not. The seal keeps the refrigerant in the system. Talk to JCS - Jay Stratton - rebuilds the Behr compressors.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Ralph in Socal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 am Definitely not. The seal keeps the refrigerant in the system. Talk to JCS - Jay Stratton - rebuilds the Behr compressors.
I'll second the suggestion to contact Jay - I sent him my original compressor (dead when I bought the car) and he rebuilt it so now it's working perfectly.

Paul
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Great thanks. However, some say the original Bosch comp. is not as good as a more modern replacement. What is the current thought on this? Does a change require new (fabricated) mounts etc.? How do I contact Jay?
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

tmoretta wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:07 am Great thanks. However, some say the original Bosch comp. is not as good as a more modern replacement. What is the current thought on this? Does a change require new (fabricated) mounts etc.? How do I contact Jay?
The original Bosch (once restored) has blown cold for me, but admittedly I don't live in a super-hot climate. To contact Jay Stratton, click on "Private Messages" at the upper right of this web page, then on "Compose Message" and use JCS as the recipient. See this thread on BimmerForums for other ways to contact him:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... t-websites

If you read Rob Siegel's book "Just Needs a Recharge: The Hack Mechanic Guide to Vintage Air Conditioning" (which I highly recommend), the biggest gain appears to be installing a parallel-flow condensor, since the original in our cars is an older serpentine design.

If you do decide to convert to a modern compressor, there are plenty of Sanden conversion threads on this board. I may still have my "dog bone" adapter brackets that one of the board members sold years ago. At this point I should probably sell them since I'll stick with my JCS-rebuilt original.
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust