s38 oil leak

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

emac

s38 oil leak

Post by emac »

I cant figure out where this leak is coming from. I have changed the valve cover gasket, oil return tube o ring, and cleaned everything in the area. I get a drop of oil where the the coolant pipe mounts just above the #6 exhaust. I enclosed a picture I found on the net. No oil from above the coolant pipe running down that I can see.

Do the mounting bolts for the coolant pipe go into an oil galley? It almost seems like it is laeking around the bolt. Do they require sealant?
emac

Re: s38 oil leak

Post by emac »

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Seems like that could be coming from the seam between the rear cover plate, and the cam carrier tray. A close pick would help.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
emac

Post by emac »

Thanks for the reply. That was also on my short list. I even ordered the rear tray gasket. When i look closely with a mirror and a boroscope, the rear tray looks dry. When I had the valve cover off, I could see oil puddling in the rear corner, so I thought for sure it was seeping past that gasket. Maybe it is and I just cant see. it. Raining all day, so I may go look at it again.

Is the server here full? It gave me an error when I tried to post a picture.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Yes, problems with the server are preventing picture uploads.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

oil sender gasket
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
emac

Post by emac »

bpoliakoff wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:02 pm oil sender gasket
I thought the oil sender/pressure switch was on the filter housing? I didnt see anything like that on the back of the motor in the are of #6 exhaust.

I looked closer today and maybe it is the rear valve tray gasket running over to the coolant pipe. It wouldnt bother me if it didnt drip onto the header and smell.

I read about someone that had a hairline crack on the valve cover in the area of the bolt hole. Thanks for all the ideas.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Well I was thinking of an M30 motor where it is on the back of the head. My mistake
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

How fresh is your valve cover gasket? They can be a real bugger to seal sometimes, and with the head always under pressure, little drips happen. Super annoying! I always use some ultra grey to fill in any possible leak spots.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
emac

Post by emac »

Brand new valve cover gasket. I cleaned things up real good and will drive it some more and check it again. Yep, it is frustrating. I think it's my only leak though!!
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

could be this one:

Or these locations:

No issues with Images .....
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
emac

Post by emac »

Excellent pictures, thank you. Were you able to replace that gasket with the engine in the car? It looks like it. It looks like those bolts need thread sealant. Any tips for removing?

I had a full workshop manual for the S38 that I gave away when I sold my M5. The guy was supposed to copy it and send me one. He never did. Still pissed at him 13 years later!
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

you can download the m88/s38 manual... not sure where...google search it. I'm sure someone has a link.

I had the engine pulled up for the header installation, so I did it then when trans was removed and I had easy access. Plus I had a 2 post lift in my old shop. 4 post is not the same...

old shop under house...

new shop...:(

But with small hands and small metric wrenches you should be able to do it with the engine in.
Last edited by brickwhite on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
emac

Post by emac »

Thanks, That is what I am thinking too. My throwout bearing makes a bit off a rattle at idle, so I do have an excuse for dropping the tranny. I have a 2 post lift, best tool I have ever purchased. The days of me laying on my back are long gone. I will sometimes raise the car a bit just to wipe it down, so I dont have to bend over! Thanks so much for the insight.
emac

Post by emac »

I wont mention that the new shop doesnt look as big as the old shop! That should never happen.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Yepper. Small tools, and that cover can be removed/installed no problem.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car