Engine stop problem.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

e24nut

Engine stop problem.

Post by e24nut »

Hi i have just replaced my distributor cap and ht leads with bmw genuine parts. Before the changeover i was having misfire problems which are now fixed. Unfortunately a new problem has arisen directly after the replacement. Driving home after the changeover i pulled up at an intersection and the engine stopped. Turn the ignition and she fires right back up again and off i go. Just before that i noticed a feeling like the transmission was looking for a gear but the fuel economy gauge was flipping all over the place. One time it happened was very severe where the economy meter was flipping back and forth and the engine surging the engine would operate normally through part of the rev range. After a while the problem problem cleared and i have been unable to replicate it. This has happened occiasionally over the last couple of months and is very annoying as it is intermittent and difficult to articulate to a BMW mechanic who cost a fortune. I tend to think it is airflow meter or electrical related but honestly that is a wild guess. The only common thing is that it happened directly after the installation of the new cap and leads. Otherwise the engine runs as sweet as can be..
bigcoupe supporter
'89 E24 317000 kms
Daily driver'