Manual Window Operation - Long Reach Hex Size

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tom635

Manual Window Operation - Long Reach Hex Size

Post by tom635 »

Hi all,

I've got a gunky rear window. Originally it wasn't working, quick switch swap got it going (up/down) but I then managed to get it stuck in the down position. From what I read, not uncommon and likely some gunky old grease.

Problem is my toolkit has everything but the long reach allen key to loosen the motor from the mechanism.

Question is...

1. What size is the allen key
2. How long does it need to be to clear the white nut for manual wind the window

Might need to go out and buy a socket, or a very long allen key, but no idea how big I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by tom635 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘84 635csi
tom635

Re: Manual Window Operation - Long Reach Allen Key

Post by tom635 »

For future reference - its a 3mm hex. With the plastic nut in situ you need a reasonably long hex key to get to it, with nothing on the shaft (like a rubber coating or anything as that will foul the hole.

Unfortunately for me I couldn't get the the manual mechanism to engage, so wasn't able to get the window up manually and subsequently broke the hex nut in my attempts. Hopefully a new motor/mechanism will be with me by the end of the week.

That window really wasn't budging. Now going to have a look at all the windows as they all are fast and slow one way or another. Might clean them all up and regrease?

Tom
‘84 635csi