Short Shift Kit

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rrrs

Short Shift Kit

Post by rrrs »

Hi, has anyone maybe tried this kit sold by UK seller on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-E39-E4 ... 2293721774

I was looking into sourcing a Z3 lever but this is actually half price of Z3 levers and looks exactly like IE kit, just at much lover cost.

I realize it is probably a Chinese copy, but at this cost might make sense to try.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Short Shift Kit

Post by Da_Hose »

Yep,

That looks like a straight UUC knockoff.

I'm all for supporting ingenuity, and making something yourself from scratch I can get behind. I can't get behind a straight ripoff of a reputable companies' design, to make your own at a profit.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I have a UUC lever minus the bushings I would be happy to sell Contact me if interested
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Hi, thanks a lot, I would love to buy your UUC lever but I already ordered the one from UK yesterday :(
Since my car is '85 with G265 trans it has a sheet metal shift console so will not even need a large aluminum bushing.

Jose, I agree with you about not supporting knock-off's, but was not ready to spend $200-plus on shift lever so looked into Z3 option till I found this on E-bay for half of Z3 lever cost :oops:

As you mentioned, it is fun working on own custom solutions and I am actually thinking of simple double share selector rod made by notching both sides of square stainless steel tube; of course, need to find one that would have correct inside dimensions to fit shift lever bottom bushing and front knuckle bushing.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

As a side note, the bushings for my shifter platform has some slop, so I turned my own from some delrin. My shifter platform is now rock solid, with zero lateral wobble. I kept the rear soft bushing, so there is still some up/down play for when the powertrain shifts.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car