OT - Striping Down My Racecar

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shipper 01

OT - Striping Down My Racecar

Post by Shipper 01 »

Getting my race car all Alpina'd up.

Take a look.

Will finish this weekend, wash car and post completed pics.

I know it's off topic but hey, it's a coupe, BMW, and has an M30 like our 6'ers.

Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Stripes done.

GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Good lookin' car!
When you went to buy it new, what would you ask for?
320 or maybe 323?
The greenhouse looks a little taller than the body in proportion to it.
What year is it? More info, please. I assume it has an independent rr end?
I see those black giswicchies on top of the fenders.
E-9 style.
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good question!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

At first I thought it was an E3, but then looking at the photos again, it's only a 2 door :-k

So, what say yee, Shipper :lol:

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

E21?

(Edited....that was supposed to have had a question mark after it....)
Last edited by hornhospital on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

It's an E3 2 door Alpina hillclimb special. M30B34 putting out around 207kw on current tune. Weighs very little so goes like the clappers. Here's and engine and boot pic.

GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

HUMMM? Are those shock tower mounts I'm lookin' at, at that odd angle? :-?
Or, is it not odd to you? :wink: Very sanitary set-up! 8)
Is it your own upgrade of factory?
You know you've opened up Pandora's box, right? =D>
And, thanx for the info.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Holy crap! :shock: That's old school BMW hotroddery personified. I love it. =D>
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Shock tower mounts are at the right angle. Car is 330mm shorter than a standard E3 hence the rear towers in the trunk and not under the parcel shelf.

Needed to get rid of the 1st fraudster mechanic. Currently Matt from Melbourne who looks after my S38B38 transplant into my 633 is looking after this. Reviewing a Group 'A' CAM from an 80's racer next weekend to see if we can up the power to above 207kw.

Vid wise, go to 1.20mins and turn up volume, really really high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZgKvnuRsw

Next I'll do internal door cards and rear batwing.

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Wow, that is impressive Josh.

Strapped down on that dyno, the car looks amazing mate. Inside and out it all beautifully done. It's even better looking than your blue car!
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

MrE wrote:Wow, that is impressive Josh.

Strapped down on that dyno, the car looks amazing mate. Inside and out it all beautifully done. It's even better looking than your blue car!
Thanks Ellis. She's turning into a great little racer.

Matt's up Friday from Melbourne with the Blue rocket and he'll fix the small leak in the hydraulic reservoir feeding the brakes. Leaks onto the brake peddle which is not conducive of safe racing. When fixed, it's off to a BMW supersprint day as the car is otherwise ready. I just need to do the rear wing, roof hoop and internal rear door cards to finish it visually but these things don't stop racing.

Mayhaps the next drive should be a BBQ at my place. Check out the cars, cook up a storm and down a few beers. Saves me bumming around trying to work out a route.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Since we're here; I'm wondering about the 'bat wings'.
Are they for show?
I'm thinking that a crosswind would raise havoc.
I know BMW use to have them but, 'use to' is the operative phrase to me. :-k
Great lookin' project though. =D>
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

GripGreg wrote:Since we're here; I'm wondering about the 'bat wings'.
Are they for show?
I'm thinking that a crosswind would raise havoc.
I know BMW use to have them but, 'use to' is the operative phrase to me. :-k
Great lookin' project though. =D>
Yes and no. To be fare, they look great. They are also a little heavy so adding 10kg to the car. But when BMW put them on their E9's, they were 3 secs faster a lap. So at speed, they work.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Hey josh the rear wing looks great. It will suit the back of the car for sure as it looks a little naked without it.

Looks like u have the ingredients to have a pretty fast old school racer.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Three seconds, wow! Great info & good research.
Car looks fantastic!
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

GripGreg wrote:Three seconds, wow! Great info & good research.
Car looks fantastic!
BMW raced the E9 3.0CS and CSi against the Ford Capri's (and others). Both makes were in the under 3 litre class. BMW found that they had difficulty being competitive so put the rear wing and front air dam on trying to generate down force for higher corner speeds. Testing on European tracks showed little if any gain. BMW then realised that the rear wing was probably not getting air. Placement of the roof hoop strap was the big game changer. It spoiled the air causing the air to run down to the trunk and hit the wing rather than flowing off of the back of the roof and out. Down force was generated. Testing showed, depending on the European track and excluding the Nurburgring, 2 secs to 3 secs faster per lap.

On my car, honestly, I'm with Gaz, I think it will look good and finish off the car nicely. My driving style/skill level does not see tenths in corners due to extra down force as critical, or to be really honest, even possible. hehehehe
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

This is looking fantastic Josh!

I have to ask though - what's the picnic blanket for? Do you plan on some cheese and wine should you have an off mid-race?
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:This is looking fantastic Josh!

I have to ask though - what's the picnic blanket for? Do you plan on some cheese and wine should you have an off mid-race?

That's the cunning plan. Why waste a trip to the green stuff?! Now I just need a cheese and wine cooler built into the car.
nagaro635

Post by nagaro635 »

Gee Wiz Josh that's an amazing job !! Pretty and tough, great combo :D
John
Sydney
Australia

1988 BMW 635csi - 'Glamour Machine'
BMW E46 M3 (Manual)- 'A shot in the arm'
2003 Nissan Maxima- 'work aholic'
Robertb

Post by Robertb »

Here is my E9 which i have just finished guys..It has a copy of the original Schnitzer short stroke M30 but with EFI as I couldnt source the Kuglefischer mechanical injection..nor could i tune it!! I have also included a picture of it with my M635..
Attachments
Engine bay showing the EFI trumpets...
Engine bay showing the EFI trumpets...
IMG_3979 (1).jpg (665.2 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
The two old girls together... I wonder what they talked about...One is the wife... the other is the mistress...
The two old girls together... I wonder what they talked about...One is the wife... the other is the mistress...
IMG_4174.jpg (804.04 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
At the BM Club track day...
At the BM Club track day...
IMG_4198.jpg (822.78 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Nice one Robert. I think these babies need their own individual thread.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Love it Robert. What's the engine build and performance like?
Robertb

My Gitanes E9

Post by Robertb »

The engine is as close as possible a copy of the 74 single cam Schnitzer engine with the short stroke crank (80 mm) that all of the early E9's had... Which means lots of revs... Only problem is they used to break cranks regularly and there is the story of the early CSL drivers complaining that every time they went to 7,100 RPM they would break the crank... Even though i have had the crank significantly lightened, which was the fix back in the 70's, i have redlined it at 7000 RPM for the moment...
It uses some nice high compression forged pistons and Carillo rods. The head is from the later 535i which had the big valves. I know very well that the original single cam motors used the kuglefischer mechanical injection system but this is impossible to source and tune so i put EFI on it which is run in a wasted spark format by a haltech...The block is from a B7 turbo E24 so it has the little squirters running off the main bearing journals which cool the pistons down but also unfortunately drop the oil pressure a bit as well...
I have used an e36 3.0 M3 close ration box which i modified by attaching it to an original bell housing and that works fine.. The diff is an original old sideloader with a 70% locked LSD and a 3.9 diff which i havent tried yet but will next week (it originally had a 3.0 diff but that was hopeless with the short stroke motor out of corners).
The wheels were made by a company in England called IMAGE wheels and they are a direct copy of the wheels that this car used to run on albeit these use the five studs rather than the original centre lock hub... I have converted this car to rack and pinion and the front suspension is now totally rose jointed.. The use of the rack gives me much more room for the extractors.
Driving the car isn't that easy as the steering loads are quite high but i am designing a power steering system which i will add on soon... The car on the Dyno produced about 230 RWHP which equates to about 320 crank HP which is about right as it is only a 3.3 L motor as it has a bore of 94.5 mm...I have a LOT more development on this car which i am just going to enjoy driving in club events and some special events that i might get an invitation to..
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Hey Robert,

That 230rwhp sounds perfect. I'm currnetly working out which CAM to put into my E3's engine. It's an M30B34 with a slight overbore. Currently running a warm street cam which means I'm down to around 206 rwhp.

I need a bigger CAM. My webers are de-tuned as I'm not breathing well enough so need to take the fuel out. What are you running? I'm considering a Group A cam a mate has or a far more aggressive CATCAM, say a 314 degree grind. Really interested to know what CAM works for you.

You have a 535i head on a B7 block? The B7 block is the same as the M30B32 (aka 633CSi)? I had no idea the galleries matched up. how did you get it to work? Could I replace my B34 head with the bigger valve B35 om my 1985 735i M30 block?

I run a locked 3.45 diff. 5 speed dogleg. She weighs 1226kg. I'll try and get that a little lighter.

Hopefully on the track again in September so I'll let you know how she goes.

Oh, I found a KF slide mechanical injection once. Was on racecarsdirect.com around 5 years ago? Guy in South Africa had it. He wanted USD$15k for it so I said no. Pitty.

Oh, and what compression ratio are you running? Always good to know. I think I'm around 12:1.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Josh a copy of the 314 catcams is in Melbourne at ppm.

With 12:1 comp it seems that cam would give 12.45mm lift which should make nice power.

Do u have fly cut pistons for clearance.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6