New shark owner

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ozbmwnut

New shark owner

Post by ozbmwnut »

Hello everyone.
I quickly want to introduce myself. my name is Steve, live in one of Melbournes outer eastern suburbs, and i just purchased a 635csi.

i have been trawling this site for over a week, and decided to join up. I have learned quite a bit about these cars already...

It seems these E24's are a labour of love,,, with almost all of them having issues with rust, horribly cracked dashboards, broken parts, failed gauges, and srinking rubbers.. and the condition of my new aquisition appears to be typical of a near 30 year old 6 series.

I hope i dont annoy fellow members with too many dumb questions.

regards, and the questions will no doubt start soon.....
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
davem6

Re: New shark owner

Post by davem6 »

Hi There
Welcome to the forum, it is a great source of information and help. Those of us down under suffer high parts prices from the local dealers and can advise alternative suppliers so don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it.
Cheers
Dave
1987 M6
NSW Australia
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Thank you for the warm welcome Dave.

My mechanic is already trying to scorce parts from british or european suppliers. The parts list is lengthy...
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Welcome. You can't have too many Aussies. Well, there was one we could do without (not you).
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Lol Baders. :P

Gday Steve, welcome to the club and congrats on the car, anthracite & buffalo sounds a great combination.

Here in Aus parts & maintenance on these cars can get pricey, but the internet and access to overseas suppliers makes it all relatively manageable. Places like Pelican, BavAuto, AutohausAZ and Schmiedmann are generally pretty good for all sorts of engine, body and interior parts, and ebay is great too for a variety of specific but miscellaneous pieces, second-hand stuff etc. RealOEM is also a great tool to help you make sure you're ordering the correct part numbers - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

And the knowledge of members here from around the world is astounding. I'm constantly amazed at the detailed info and advice people here are able to provide. Don't hesitate to ask anything mate - we're all glad that you're keeping that car running & on the road. Image

Regards,
Ellis.
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Hi Ellis.

Yes, i too have been amazed by the knowledge imparted by members on this site. But, i guess we shouldn't be surprised, as everyone here shares a love and passion for these four wheeled beauties..

There is so much to do with this car of mine... not sure what to do first...

Mechanical, body, interior, electrics... this one is sure to be an expensive labour of love...

But, i know i can bring it back.... it was almost like it was calling out to me to buy it.. because it was screaming out for someone to love and care for it.

i think another year or two without any attention, and it would have been only scrap value..
daz635

Post by daz635 »

Welcome to the Forum.

Great to see another car being saved by a loving owner. As those above have said this board is a wealth of knowledge especially for new owners.

When you have a chance post some images so that we can have a look.

If you are looking for parts speak to Addam Smith at BMWrecking on the Gold Coast his speciality is the E24
https://www.facebook.com/BMWrecking-Gol ... 960016698/
'86 Euro 635 #1887204 Schwartz (086) Buffalo Schwartz Interior
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Hello Daz. thank you for the kind words, and advice..
Your car and mine are the same colour scheme, and similar build date (mine is 7/86, but complianced 3/88 (!!)

When i look at the condition of your car, i see how i want mine to look... but alas, as of right now, it is not at all pretty......

would love to post pics for all to see, but have to study the instructions as to how to do it...

not very computer savy, unfortunately....
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Not to worry. All of us spent some time and money going up the learning curve on the 6. If I may suggest: safety items first, driveability second, electronics (dash gauges) third and then if you have time, everything else.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

^^ yes, you are right, that is exactly what i am doing.

Tomorrow we start,.. check and replace damaged hoses, flush radiator, oil change (same crap been sitting in the sump for (i think) 10 years...)
check and order replacement bushes, brake lines, ...
try and establish where all the oil leaks are coming from..

The labour of love commences.... :-({|= :-({|=
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Welcome to the perfect example of the saying 'fine line between pleasure and pain'. I love these cars and they love my wallet. But to be fair, that's all old cars. Try finding a fiat the same age as your new 6'er at anywhere near the same condition.

You find that the oil leaks are gaskets gone bad. I know it's a pain but engine refresh may be the best fix. Sump gasket can leak. If the head overheats it can bend like a banana up at each end and the head gasket can leak. Timing chain cover gasket can leak. And with your car being a non runner for so long they are all probably spent. You may not need to rebuild the bottom end or the head for that matter but it may need the head, checked for flatness and then if okay, new gaskets all around.

Do you run an oil cooler? I replaced my radiator with a 540i radiator and it works very well. Not an expensive fix.

Check your sway bars are still attached as this affects on road performance. Swap in 17 inch wheels for far better road holding. Mine started with 14 inch.

You have just bought one of the most beautiful cars ever produced. Enjoy.
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi,

Welcome.

As long as the car is solid and mechanically sound you have a fitting chance of getting it to where you want it.

Goodlook. =D>
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Hi Ronnie.
Thanks for the warm welcome. the good thing is that its all there, its just a matter of FIXING EVERYTHING. As we speak my mechanic is working through the simple things, (oil and fluid changes and flushes,) and establishing where the the oil leaks may be coming from. the car has been barely driven for 11 years, and everything had been covered with oil... in a way, it probably helped to preserve everything..

we will get there, i am confident...
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Yes, the "BMW Rust Prevention System" works very well :D
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

A few pics
Attachments
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 18414 times
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 18414 times
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 18414 times
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

another...
Attachments
DSC_0075.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 18413 times
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Looks a nice project there. The seats look recoverable just thirsty.

First thing I would try would be to just wipe them over with a wet cloth a few times.

Then use the leathereque rejuvinator oil with the prestene clean. It may need several applications but the results will be great. Seems to work best when letting it soak in for a few days in a warm car so taking advantage of the warmer weather maybe a good time to do it now.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Based on the condition of the sunroof, I would address that as a bit of bad weather will really mess up your interior. And be careful, another chap is having a difficult/impossible time finding sliding roof tracks......

Think of it like a boat: first job is making it watertight. Everything else is subordinate to job #1
Sansouci
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Excellent analogy, Ken. =D>

But, unlike a boat, the day you sell your E24 is not the second happiest day. :wink:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Having owned a J/24 racing sloop i know what you mean.
Sansouci
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hornhospital wrote:Excellent analogy, Ken. =D>

But, unlike a boat, the day you sell your E24 is not the second happiest day. :wink:
I've heard that sellers regret hits before the sale and that it really is a very sad day indeed. If you need parts, either Addam on the Gold Coast or my mate Dimitri who has 6 and is breaking/selling 3.

My car has soaked up so much money, but when the wife and son are away and I'm on a country road at 6am and the sun is just rising and the air fresh and crisp, priceless. Simply priceless!!!