M6 steering wheel

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tmoretta

M6 steering wheel

Post by tmoretta »

Is it possible to retrofit a smaller diameter air bag steering wheel to my '88 M6? I am trying to gain faster steering and still have a driver's side air bag?
PTFunk

Re: M6 steering wheel

Post by PTFunk »

Most folks opt to replace the airbag wheel for an M-Technik version w/o airbag. You may be able to find a compatible wheel from a later series (e.g. e34 or e38), but pay close attention the to spline dimensions as this will dominate your ability to retrofit.

I'd also be wary of the "spokes" of the new wheel being too close to the turn signal and windshield wiper stalks. This is actually a bit of an issue with my M-tech wheel, but I've gotten used to it. Given infinite time and/or money, I'd have modified (shorter) stalks made which aren't as likely to be accidentally hit by hands as I turn.
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Hey Paul
Long x.
I had same issue when changing out my airbag wheel with hitting wiper stalk
I found that many have switched their wiper stalk to earlier ones pre airbag and had no issues ,plug n play.
Yet to do mine as I have gotten used to it also.
Pretty inexpensive used swap out.
Hope to see you in Monterey this spring!
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

What later model BMW wheel would have the same splines as mine?
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

tmoretta wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:44 pm What later model BMW wheel would have the same splines as mine?
Don't know off the top of my head, unfortunately. I'd start with part number comparisons of the steering column and/or other components on RealOEM.com. A quick look shows that the spindle for the M6 (32311158120) was also used on:

5' E28   (09/1980 — 12/1987)
5' E34   (03/1987 — 12/1996)
7' E32   (10/1985 — 08/1994)
Z1 Roadster   (07/1988 — 06/1991)

PLEASE VERIFY THIS and do your own research... don't trust my 30 second look. But you may be able get one or more newer styles of wheel to work!
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust