Opinions on exterior mod that won't be "visible"

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Opinions on exterior mod that won't be "visible"

Post by GRNSHRK »

OK gents, on to my next project :roll:

I am considering replacing the reflectors in the front bumper side surrounds with actual lights, but this will take a bit of modification to the surrounds :-"

The photos show what the rear looks like, which is what I would have to do to the fronts, in order to mount the lights :-k

And while I'm opposed to doing any type of mods that aren't reversible (think no cutting of wiring harnesses, for instance [-X ) this mod wouldn't even be visible once the lights are installed. In fact, even if I were to go back to the reflectors, who would know :-"

That being said, the rear surrounds were chopped by the body shop that installed the rear skirt, so what am I really worried about [-(

And I'm sure the next question will be, how am I going to power and control them :-?

Well, got that covered as well =D>

Since I changed to Euro front blinker assemblies years ago, and they only have one bulb, not 2, absent is the little one that mounted down in the lower corner of the "elephant ear" USofA lenses =;

So all I have to do is run pigtails down from that part of the harnesses that are just tied off right now, and Walla :wink:

Speaking of which, I'm in need of 2 of those pigtails, if anyone has a harness they are scrapping out, please let me know [-o<

I'll probably request that in the "Wanted" forum as well :|
Attachments
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4119.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4364 times
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG (963.97 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
IMG_4118.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4364 times
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4364 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
635sharknose

Re: Opinions on exterior mod that won't be "visible"

Post by 635sharknose »

Good idea! Looks much better than the US blinkers the car was delivered with.

I would assume you can make a cable yourself with a set of TE Connectivity positive lock connectors
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-926522-1.html
I do not know the size you need, you could measure on you car and check on the TE website by downloading the cad drawing.

You should have enough space to fit the light, but I do think there is a metal plate inside the rubber of the surround (see rust spots on the photo), a Dremel should do the work though I assume.
Attachments
20200808_190722.jpg
20200808_190722.jpg (547.05 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Wow, crickets again, I guess I never cease to amaze you guys :roll:

Thanks for your input sharknose, hoping to find the OEM pigtails, as while I would prefer not to make harnesses, although it's not out of the question :-k

Surely somebody out there is chopping up a harness [-o<
Bobbo
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Hey Bobbo.

I wonder if this wouldn't be a case where you really want to go with something very custom.

I suggest buying some 3M adhesive COB light strips, and seeing if they can stick to the inner surface of the mounting area, then using the OEM cover. I think you could well end up with a crazy bright LED signal light, but not need to cut anything other than a small hole for a wire to reach the harness.

I think you could just release the original plug ends, and fabricate a T-adapter with spade ends. That way you don't cut original harness. I HATE when someone hacks up an original harness and leaves a half-assed end result. I try to always use solid connectors, and dielectric grease, or re-wire correctly from the source.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hmm, made me look up what "COB" stood for :-k

Interesting idea, but my brief look only turned up strips, and they run on 24 VDC, not 12 :-?

I was planning on going with LED type bulbs anyway, in fact I need to see about replacing all of the stock stuff, both single and dual filament versions, think there was a thread about that conversion on the board a while back [-o<

Thanks for your ideas Jose =D>
Bobbo
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Well .... I did say it would need to be really custom. :wink:

I would consider these bulbs, but it would a fair amount of work, although once assembled, I think they would be super bright! 8) \:D/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000484 ... web201603_

Assembly could be done on a piece of aluminum, with heat tape/paste. Just make the base plate fit the inner space, and cover with LED's. Silicone the connections to make water resistant (or clear epoxy if you are an overachiever), and then use some double sticky strip get the panel to stay in place. You could put some pads under the reflector if you wanted to squeeze the whole panel against the bumper end, and it ain't goin' nowhere. \:D/

You could wire 8 led's together (4P-2S is ideal) to run on 12V. The other thing you could do is run a buck voltage converter, to get a stable 9V at each led.

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-Conv ... 569&sr=8-6

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I am considering replacing the reflectors in the front bumper side surrounds with actual lights

What's the reason? Interesting different laws in different lands. That sort of thing wouldn't be allowed over here. especially being orange/red. However we don't emission test like you guys in Cal.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Well, technically speaking, when I installed the Euro front blinker assemblies, I was no longer compliant to DOT requirements here in the states [-X

They require a side marker, which was removed when I went Euro :-"

This mod will not only make the car compliant again, but I think it will also be a cool modification, and one that no-one else likely has performed \:D/

Face it, I just can't stop :lol:
Bobbo
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

I guess that’s the beauty of US inspections. I had a 320i that I pulled the air pump and reactor pollution controls that always passed emissions well within limits so no one ever checked for them. As long as my headlights were aimed properly I had no issues passing the inspection. With my 6er I don’t even need a test since it doesn’t have an OBDI connector and all the test looks for is no code that causes a check engine light.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Hey Bobbo,

I would definitely go with those COB lights, but if you want to try something easier to build, you could buy SMD LED strips and just stick a few of them to the flat surface of the bumper end, under the reflector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QL ... =pd_gw_unk

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car