High Output Lights / Fall 2015 update, sale

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MisterFixit

Re: lighting questions

Post by MisterFixit »

Antipodean wrote:
MisterFixit wrote: Rob,

Bulbs are P3497, high output bulbs - 45cp, 27W.
One customer said a fuse blew, same one I think; he went to 10A and solved it.

Another had occasional check panel false negatives, so I sent him a relay with separate power tap for lighting the added bulbs directly off of the battery (relocated in the trunk, easy to get to).

Did your M6 have sockets and wiring in the empty fog light spaces, or did you install your own? Sounds like a US car...

Also, I assume 22W means they are secondary brake lights. Did you know secondary tail lights are possible as well?

Happy to help,
Andy
Thanks Andy - nope, mine is a bog-standard US model M6 and I used the "MisterCheapBastard" mod and found a couple of lamp bases at my local parts store that just press fitted into the empty spaces in the plastic tail light module. That, and some $15 rattle can chrome paint and I was good to go. Makes quite a difference to the illumination.

But given your experience I think I need to do it properly and add a relay for the additional load on the brake light circuit for the new bulbs. I am sure BMW over-engineered the wiring just as they did everything else on the car, but stil, I am a little reluctant to just up the fuse rating and hope for the best. Also I too have had some false negatives on the "check" panel. I already have a fused aux line off the battery for the after market remote locking system installed earlier, so adding a circuit for the addional break lights to this is no biggie. Thanks again for the advice.

Rob.
Rob-
Thinking of making the relay setup standard for these dual brake light conversions, since there seems to be a pattern developing.

I can do it two ways-- one, do the entire conversion, install the wiring, and let you find or buy a relay on your own, a very common one found in parts yards or auto parts stores (4 pin, 30/85/86/87), or I can do the conversion with all wiring and install the relay for you, so that all you need to do is provide fused power to relay terminal 30.

Happy new year, everyone!
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
MisterFixit

Euro tail lights, triple upgrade and restoration

Post by MisterFixit »

Well, here's something you don't see every day... Euro tail lights restored, with high output bulbs, with working rear fog lights, AND with double tail lights, AND with double brake lights... whew!

THAT'S A LOTTA LIGHT.

I had built a set for Rick in South Africa, shipped them off in June, and they got lost in the sauce somewhere between me and him, so after a suitabaly interminable waiting period, he complained and I sent him a second set of lights.

He was looking to KEEP his rear fogs, which are vital over there, and ADD a new pair of tail lights, PLUS a new pair of brake lights... but wait -- is there enough room in the reflector for all those bulbs??? Of Course there is, the way I build them!

After I got through with them, they --
Look all shiny bright like new lights, with that 'new tail light smell'
Have the shiny steel reflector inserts like all Euro tails are made with
Include High Output lamps in all positions
Feature a Double Tail light upgrade like my 'Plus Four' lights
Feature a Double Brake light upgrade, also like my 'Plus Four' lights
Extra-Special Feature- Rear Fog lights ALSO work !!!

Perfect for that Euro baby you are restoring for Monterey, or driving daily!

Here's what amazed me -- after the first order got lost, and after I sent the second set off to South Africa, the first set came back -- WHOA!

Even had all the parts that I sent with, despite the box being somewhat the worse for wear ... as you can imagine, after travelling around the world.

So here is a unique, no holds barred, deluxe pair of rear lights, with all the bells and whistles, ready for action.

Who's got a European shark looking for a high profile rear set of lights?
Technical and configuration details are available by request.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Andy... are you happy to ship to Australia and what sort of dollars are you talking?

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MisterFixit

shipping and pricing

Post by MisterFixit »

Mark E wrote:Hi Andy... are you happy to ship to Australia and what sort of dollars are you talking?

Cheers...
Not exactly happy, but certainly willing - I get nervous about overseas shipping, and will ask for tracking and insurance. These lights stumbled across the Atlantic for more than three months to and from South Africa, I want to avoid that for my continued sanity. Or whatever is left of it...

Two prices, one is for outright sale, one for exchange basis where we swap, your old reflectors for these.

Outright sale, $299 plus shipping.
Swap yours for mine, $209 plus shipping.

Send me an email, I have questions before we do this, so I can provide proper installation instructions. There is an additional wire to connect, we can discuss the best way to do that.

Thanks for your interest.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Skank

Re: Euro tail lights, triple upgrade and restoration

Post by Skank »

I would recommend these lights to anyone. Floating across the Atlantic for two months not withstanding....Andy Is great to deal with and his product is excellent. My car has serious brakes and now the tailgating muppets behind me know all about it! Thanks Andy.

MisterFixit wrote:Well, here's something you don't see every day... Euro tail lights restored, with high output bulbs, with working rear fog lights, AND with double tail lights, AND with double brake lights... whew!

THAT'S A LOTTA LIGHT.

I had built a set for Rick in South Africa, shipped them off in June, and they got lost in the sauce somewhere between me and him, so after a suitabaly interminable waiting period, he complained and I sent him a second set of lights.

He was looking to KEEP his rear fogs, which are vital over there, and ADD a new pair of tail lights, PLUS a new pair of brake lights... but wait -- is there enough room in the reflector for all those bulbs??? Of Course there is, the way I build them!

After I got through with them, they --
Look all shiny bright like new lights, with that 'new tail light smell'
Have the shiny steel reflector inserts like all Euro tails are made with
Include High Output lamps in all positions
Feature a Double Tail light upgrade like my 'Plus Four' lights
Feature a Double Brake light upgrade, also like my 'Plus Four' lights
Extra-Special Feature- Rear Fog lights ALSO work !!!

Perfect for that Euro baby you are restoring for Monterey, or driving daily!

Here's what amazed me -- after the first order got lost, and after I sent the second set off to South Africa, the first set came back -- WHOA!

Even had all the parts that I sent with, despite the box being somewhat the worse for wear ... as you can imagine, after travelling around the world.

So here is a unique, no holds barred, deluxe pair of rear lights, with all the bells and whistles, ready for action.

Who's got a European shark looking for a high profile rear set of lights?
Technical and configuration details are available by request.
MisterFixit

Re: Euro tail lights, triple upgrade and restoration

Post by MisterFixit »

Skank wrote:I would recommend these lights to anyone. Floating across the Atlantic for two months not withstanding....Andy Is great to deal with and his product is excellent. My car has serious brakes and now the tailgating muppets behind me know all about it! Thanks Andy.
Hey, thanks for the plug, and I can't believe your courtesy -- "tailgating muppets" ??? I don't usually refer to them quite so kindly.

How's the rest of the car doing -- getting well sorted?
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Wrinckled

Post by Wrinckled »

I would love to see some pictures of before / after. Can you pm / post some please?
Skank

Post by Skank »

Wrinckled wrote:I would love to see some pictures of before / after. Can you pm / post some please?
I don't have 'Before' but a massive improvement.

Here is ''After''

Normal and Braking
Attachments
20131015_180636 (Medium).jpg
20131015_180636 (Medium).jpg (127.88 KiB) Viewed 14296 times
20131015_180641 (Medium).jpg
20131015_180641 (Medium).jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 14296 times
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

Wrinckled wrote:I would love to see some pictures of before / after. Can you pm / post some please?
Take a look at page two of this thread, there are some pics there of the lights off the car.

I put in a couple of pics of the reflectors as received (before) and after restoring the 'shiny' with silver paint.

I also show what lights up after the conversion to dual tails, dual brakes.

Thanks, skank! Lookin very nice after the paint.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Wrinckled

Post by Wrinckled »

MisterFixit wrote:
Take a look at page two of this thread, there are some pics there of the lights off the car.

I put in a couple of pics of the reflectors as received (before) and after restoring the 'shiny' with silver paint.

I also show what lights up after the conversion to dual tails, dual brakes.

Thanks, skank! Lookin very nice after the paint.
Can you do LED conversion? I'm very interested if so.
MisterFixit

Can I do LED Conversion - part 17

Post by MisterFixit »

Wrinckled wrote:Can you do LED conversion? I'm very interested if so.
It's a low priority research project at this point, but could easily move into high gear if there was a budget... there will be 'many' LEDs in the prototype, this will cost money. I'd like to start with $350, that should get all the LED parts in house, the relays are dime a dozen... I have dozens of them already.

Send me an email, I'll add you to the list of interested parties.

Status Update-
At this point, I have test fit a single panel into the light, based on that I will be planning to completely fill the lens area, somewhere between 6 and ten panels per light. Panels are about 5 square inches each, 40 high output LEDs per panel. I ordered the 'steady burn' panels, they are built to stay on for hours, not flash, so longevity should be years and years.

I also have a relay configuration that powers the panels either as tail or brake, parallel with 6V for tail, series with 12V for brake. It works very nicely, and with ten panels, it may draw enough for the check panel too! After assembly, an ammeter will tell if the current level is close to a bulb's.

I do have a fallback position - if the check panel is not 'satisfied' with the current draw of LED panels, I can always leave a single bulb in tail and brake circuits, which I suspect will not be noticable when the LED panels are doing their thing.

Perhaps if ten of us get together, share the research cost in exchange for a break on the first ten conversions, things will come to fruition more quickly?

I think I'll start a new post, with pics comparing the output of a single panel of LEDs versus a single high output bulb in the brake light, see what that does to generate interest.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
markh

Post by markh »

Andy - count me in on this research project and let me know what you need.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

I would be interested also. What about using an LED panel as an additional rear/ brake light for the rear fog light not used on North American models?
Dave
MisterFixit

On The List

Post by MisterFixit »

clipper47 wrote:I would be interested also. What about using an LED panel as an additional rear/ brake light for the rear fog light not used on North American models?
Dave- I'm very familiar with this opportunity that Hella left unused in US cars. I am already doing this with a high output bulb, installing a set of socket terminals and wiring it to the harness in the reflector. An LED conversion will use the same part of the reflector, along with some others, in a full 'tail + brake' conversion. Turn and reverse lights will be another project.

And not 'an LED panel'; it will be at LEAST two panels, or a multiple of two. That's the way the dual voltage relay setup for dual output works; dim for tail and bright for brake functions, using all the LED panels for both- "to make best use of your lighting dollar." More 'relay magic' like my setup for Euro cars with working rear fogs, plus dual brakes, plus dual tails. Skank in South Africa has this setup, says it works well.

I'll put you on the project list, Dave.
markh wrote:Andy - count me in on this research project and let me know what you need.
Mark-
I'll be in touch as soon as I get a budget worked up, and add you to the list.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Wrinckled

Re: On The List

Post by Wrinckled »

Awesome! Glad others show interest in this too. What is your email, I have no experience with creating LED conversion - but would love to get a pair!

Hope this ends up happening!
MisterFixit

Still doing this - more available

Post by MisterFixit »

Yes- in answer to recent questions- I am still doing this. I suppose I could post more often.

I have a recent set of Before and After pics from Richard, but the sun was shining on the back of the car for many of them, so it's hard to see clearly. I'll post what make sense.

Update- I am negotiating for a box full of these lights - six pair (makes sense, six pair of lights for a six series -- how Zen).

Once they arrive, I'll be selling on a 'first come, first illuminated' basis. Many of them are Euro lights, they will go for a bit more, because they include the extra reflector metallic insert, and allow rear fog lights to work as designed, and as extra brake lights when not in use. Slick, of course it involves extra wiring and relays, but you don't care about that, do you?

As long as nobody crashes into the back of your shark, we're all happy.

As always, I prefer to sell on an exchange basis so I can restore your lights and sell to the next guy, they will be less than an outright sale.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Bump

Post by MisterFixit »

Still have a set here, ready to go. Euro config, restored, new bulbs, relays, Need to sell this set, it's getting tired of me, and I'm getting tired of telling them to go out and get a job. They will be much happier in a friendly garage!

FEATURES:
Working rear fog lights; Dual tail lights, Dual brake lights when fogs are not used, relays to power extra brake lights by a separate circuit for safety, and to preserve normal amperage in the brake circuit. These babies are BRIGHT, reliable, and very effective at sending a message.

I need to send Ron some money for shipping, I am rebuilding the lights he sent, and would like to at least pay for his shipping cost, plus give him something for the lights... I'm working on it, Ron!

Somebody make a decent offer, maybe you'll get an indecent price!

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Lights begging me for a new home.

Post by MisterFixit »

OK, baby needs a new pair of shoes, so it's best offer time - I need to get these newly restored, high output, double brake and double tail upgraded lights out the door. Relays, full HO bulb set included.

Price is dropping until they ship out. Core charge not included, $50 (refunded for swap).

US lights- Normally $275 delivered. How's $249 sound?

Euro lights, w/rear fog- Normally $350 delivered. How's $299 sound?
Attachments
Euro reflectors upgraded, full HO bulb set
Euro reflectors upgraded, full HO bulb set
P8231196.JPG (445.49 KiB) Viewed 13399 times
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Bump - price drop

Post by MisterFixit »

US lights down to $239 a pair.

Euro lights down to $279 a pair.

HO bulbs, instructions, and shipping included. Core charge, $50. for US, $100 for Euro.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Another price reduction ... plus a bonus

Post by MisterFixit »

OK, US set reduced to $220.
Euro set reduced to $250.

Plug and play, check control is happy, nothing harmed, and you make tons of light in back. What could be better?

A 'core refund' ou your old set of lights, that's what!

PayPal before Monday Midnight, get an additional discount ... but you'll have to contact me to find out how large that discount is.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

The Dutch Auction has ended ... long ago

Post by MisterFixit »

US and Euro lights reduced for Spring 2015 Sale, see later posts!

Several Euro sets available, let's talk about your fog lights - NebelSchlussLicht (-Leucht?) means rear fog light. If you have them, you may want to keep them working. This kit maintains their function WITH the added tail and brake lights in back, not a problem, very slick.

Plug and play, check control is happy, nothing harmed, and you make tons of light in back. What could be better?

A 'core refund' on your old set of lights, that's what! Send the old dirty reflectors back, get a $50 refund and I will restore and upgrade them for the next guy in line with a six series that is worthy of restoring.

AND don't hesitate to ask about other lighting upgrades you can get without spending the $200 or whatever, there are other improvements, other ways to 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt' without spending all that moolah.

Andy[/quote]
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Dutch bump ... price dropping

Post by MisterFixit »

US set reduced to $199. One available at this deal price. Plus Four, full High Output set, adn relay kit included.

Euro set reduced to $219. Several available, let's talk about your fog lights - NebelSchlussLicht means rear fog light.

Plug and play, check control is happy, nothing harmed, and you get tons of light in back. What could be better?

A 'core refund' on your old set of lights, that's what! Send your old dirty reflectors back, get a $50 refund and I will restore and upgrade them for the next guy in line with a six series that is worthy of restoring.

AND don't hesitate to ask about other lighting upgrades, there are various improvements, other ways to 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt' without spending too much...

Or you can wait until some yutz bumps into you, cracks a tail light lens, or worse! Of course, warding off any damage in the first place is easier and less expensive. And safer, too!

Andy
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

A dutch auction works in reverse to an ordinary auction, the price starts high and is dropped in increments, when the first buyer agrees to pay the asking price the auction is ended. You only have one chance to buy the goods.
Are you not running one now?
disqord

Post by disqord »

Every time I see you lower your prices, I have to squeeze my wallet even tighter. I would love to get a set, but right now I've other priorities for my car (like getting it registered and street legal!)

GLWS
Chris

PS: Will the Euros plug and play into a Series 1? :mrgreen:
1978 635CSi #5545154

MisterFixit

Dutch Auction defined

Post by MisterFixit »

m6dave wrote:dutch auction ...
has ended
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"