When obsessive visions become reality. MY E24 with M62.

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pablo_el

When obsessive visions become reality. MY E24 with M62.

Post by Pablo_el »

Finally I kicked off restoration of my bimmer! I am so excited :mrgreen:

Since I knew what a car was I wanted a 635. Nothing else could fill in the void that a picture in one of the newspapers created. It is said that first impressions are the most important and I must admit that there is some to it- after 15+ years that image is still stuck in my head!

I was looking quite a long time for the car I wanted to buy. I did not want a pristine example because I just couldn't go through all that I have planned knowing that I destroy an original example. So I found this 1987 635CSi on craigslist and after 14 hour drive one way to see it I was $1.2k poorer. The car not only made 600 mile journey back home without issues but drove about 4k miles through the summer as a daily driver before it decided to rest. My previous plans assumed using m70 but my friend got rear-ended in his '98 540 in the meantime. I just could not pass up m62B44+6 speed combo (SC anyone :D) that I knew so well with just a touch above 100k done with full service history.

ImageImageImageImage

The car is going to be a daily driver, painted probably Sterling Gray with tan interior, full euro conversion, e38 style 5s, AC. I want to keep original spirit of the car but not without some major updates. Car is being stripped right now in preparation for rust removal. I expect to have the chassis painted this summer keeping in mind that I will drive it on the next.

General condition of the car is surprisingly good. Worst part of the interior is the dash but leather is nice (car used to have seat covers) and I really love the 87 trim with the fridge in the back! Everything worked when I got the car except driver side rear window motor - amazing. Rust is an issue here but nothing that cannot be handled. Body is generally straight and needs just a respray but I will take considerable amount of time to make the modifications I have in mind.

It is really to much to list 15 years of planning over here so I will update as I go :) Just from the top of my head:

Chassis preparation:
- new passenger side floorpan,
- outer skin from e39 rocker panels,
- inner rockers substituted by 3.5x3.5 inch 3/16 wall 6 foot steel square conduit
- custom rear end for euro bumper (no strip or spoiler will be installed),
- custom radiator support ,
- front subframe modification to retain stock m62 engine mounts,
- rear subframe camber adjustment mods, new bushings etc,
- steering rack reinforcement,
- reinforcement of strut towers
- bracing of rear differential mount and trunk floor

Engine:
- valve cover gaskets,
- water pump and all cooling system components,
- rear main seal
- new clutch,
- custom headers and intake.
- OBD1 conversion with DME 404

Electrical:
- installation of audio system which no one will ever see,
- carputer,
- remote start with other goodies,
- e34 smoked euro hella projectors with 5k HIDs,
- custom LED tailights,
- modified e24 gauges with CEL and other goodies - LED backlight etc,
- built in 3 cameras (front, rear and driver),
- valentine :D

Interior:
- dashboard restoration - epoxy resin + vinyl wrap,
- dying all leather pieces and painting rest of the trim to match,
- leather headliner from m6,
- e30 rearview mirror,

No time, effort nor $ will be spared to complete the project however being a daily diver the car will not be super extra clean inside out. Everything within reasons ;]

Pictures

1. Pick up:

After a good wash:

New shoes and front bumper:

Interior:

Door card restored/unrestored

Idiotfest:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Let the fun begin!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Any engine pull needs to have the trademark shots. :D

Interior teardown

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Dashboard
ImageImageImageImage

3/25/2012
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

3/30/2012
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

4/20/12 update :D

7/12/12

Surgery begins. Full album under link below, I will add more photos later.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10224235 ... 6034656849

10/01/12

Outer skins

I used only outer skins from 1998 BMW e39. The jack locations have identical width of 5ft so I decided to match the e24 locations.

This is just a quick fit to measure out jack point which was rusted out on 6er.

ImageImageImage

Even though the e39 sideskirts are longer than e24 keeping the e39 jacks untouched required to cut down front which will be used at the end to fill the gap.

Last edited by Pablo_el on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

reserved
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

reserved
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

Sounds awesome.

Look forward to seeing the resto progress. Good luck with the project.

Regards
Greg
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

E39 rocker panels (sills)?

Do these fit OK? any pros and cons that you know of?

BTW gotta love the vision.... I wish you every success in the realisation of your plans!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Got to love a nice red E24. Still stand by it being the best colour.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Brucey wrote:E39 rocker panels (sills)?

Do these fit OK? any pros and cons that you know of?
I have seen a red 635 on ebay the other day with those rocker panels welded in. Looked pretty good and as I had the whole e39 in pieces I decided to give it a go. Especially considering price of new e24 rockers which the car is desperate for. It used to have Zender skirts which were a perfect enviorment for the rust to develop. Worst case scenario assumes modification of existing panels and rewelding the outer skins.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Some progress! Old engine and tranny are out, interior half way stripped. "Just" need to remove the dash :roll:
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

Subscribed!

I love your vision. Great combo, especially with the six-speed.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Pictures of the rust were added. New rocker panels make sense now? :roll: Check out the foam in the rear rocker panel section. My first time I see this on a car, feels weird at the very least :o

I will strip the floor just for fun but I would cut it out almost completely later anyway . It is not that bad, just as a precautionary measure so it lasts 10 years or so.
tschultz Online

Post by tschultz »

Looking good!

Great collection of photos for build thread too.

That motor with 6 speed will make one sweet E24!

Not sure if the later cars have the problem or not, but it would probably be a good idea to verify the diff mount will hold up with the extra power!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Finally got some progress! And bought new daily to cruise around:

528 5 speed wagon :D
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

One bumper mount done, one to go. :roll:
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

wow what a project, keep us posted.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Engine mounts on the way! First mock ups have been tacked on. If all goes good engine will be in position next week.
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

Pablo_el wrote:Engine mounts on the way! First mock ups have been tacked on. If all goes good engine will be in position next week.
Crossing my fingers that the brake master cylinder clears the engine - and that you can mount the hydraulics it needs to work.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

M?chteWei? wrote:
Pablo_el wrote:Engine mounts on the way! First mock ups have been tacked on. If all goes good engine will be in position next week.
Crossing my fingers that the brake master cylinder clears the engine - and that you can mount the hydraulics it needs to work.
http://www.bmwengineswap.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2

I will relocate the booster and use e34 master combo together with the brackets. Brake lines will be extended with proper adapters.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

Engine mounts mocked up. I still need to adjust the position slightly and decide if I want to cut the tunnel or drop the engine...
ericono

Post by ericono »

Have you tackled the e39 rockers yet? I'd like to see what that looks like.

Great build so far. I love the Dr. Strangelove shot of you on the drivetrain. Nice touch!

Good luck,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

I will start on the rockers as soon as I align the drivetrain. It is a real pain to to angle it properly without leveled floor in my garage [-o<

I will tackle the rockers as soon as I finish building the nose.

Plan - cut the outer skin along side molding line, cut everything inside out, weld in piece of square tubing (like 2x4 or smt) between front pillar and rear subframe mount.

The steel piece will be a part of partial cage, I have everything in my head right now :) Just need to be done with that mounts ffs! So far 80 hours spent and still around 40 to go...
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

I started some work on the rust removal. The e39 rocker is much thinner (maybe even twice!) so I will use only outer skins and build a cage from steel inside to stiffen the car.
Great build so far. I love the Dr. Strangelove shot of you on the drivetrain. Nice touch!

BTW That's my mate, that is a signature shot for every engine pull we do ;)

Here is me in my baller safety glasses eating sparks like nothing happened :lol:
PorscheDude

Post by PorscheDude »

Nice work Pablo!!
'89 635CSi Black/Silver Gray #3269085
Bilstein Sports/H&R's, ACS Type II's, 5 speed, 3.91 LSD, UUC Evo 3, Lt FW

'95 E34 Touring Blk/Blk MTech Bumpers, Euro Trim, Euro Lights, BBS RX.

Past
'86 951 Blk/Blk '94 968 Polar Silver/Black
winfred

Post by winfred »

how are you handling the oiling issue after removing the left motor mount bracket? tapping the holes in the block or building a plate to mimic the stock connection with o-rings? tapping the block would be easiest but is risky. a point to look at on a m60/62 is pull the lower pan and check for loose or fallen out oil pump bolts, i have seen 3-4 bolts fall out of the pump housing and rattle around in the pan, the mounting bolts/nuts for the pump can fall out too
3/81 633 m30b35 & getrag 260/6, motronic 1.3 -sold

86 635 with nearly all goodies from rotted away 85 m635 including the m88/3, tuning in progress on motronic 3.3.1
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

I decided to do what e30 guys do - cut the stock motor mounts to retain stock connections for Oil Filter Housing and AC compressor.

You can also buy a part from BMW X5 if you like to go OEM style. No tapping or drilling necessary!

I will definitely pull the oil pan before I fire up the engine to check oil pump - thanks for the tip.
Pablo_el

Post by Pablo_el »

3.5x3.5 3/16 wall 6 foot pieces of steel have arrived so I started the fun again. Tacked on in place ready to go.

Clogged sunroof drain will not be an issue again :mrgreen: