drivers door lock problem - '85 sixer

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

crapshooter6

drivers door lock problem - '85 sixer

Post by crapshooter6 »

Hey guys, I've seen this addressed a year or two back, now I can't find any info on it. A small spring has broken inside my drivers door (part # 51211847131). I can't unlock the door by just stickin the key in and using the central locks, it'll lock, but won't unlock - I have to roll the left side window down and jiggle the inside latch with the key in the door, turned to the unlock position....after several tries it'll pop open. This spring has been discontinued, can't find one at any of our normal go-to parts suppliers, even bmw - any ideas how to fix this problem so I can use central locking again?

Thanks,

Bob G
Crapshooter
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you can't get the right one but know what the spring looks like you might well be able to make one that works the same by modifying another, or simply making one from scratch; you can buy piano wire in modellers shops.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Wright

Re: drivers door lock problem - '85 sixer

Post by Chris Wright »

crapshooter6 wrote:A small spring has broken inside my drivers door (part # 51211847131).
The spring part number you give is for a spring that fits on the hinge of the door handle, How does this prevent the lock from working? Is it the right number?
crapshooter6

drivers door lock - '85 sixer

Post by crapshooter6 »

Brucey, hadn't thought of trying to make something that would work....now you've got me thinkin it would be worth a try.

Chris, that part # came from the local dealer, I don't absolutely know that it's the correct #. This happened about a year ago and I've just been dealing with it....haven't been driving the car much at all. The drivers door will lock, but I have to go thru the process I described to get the door to unlock. I think you're right about that being the wrong part # - I just went to RealOEM, entered that part # and the diagram that popped up wasn't the same spring that broke. I need to get my facts right before start asking how to fix something.

Thanks to both of you!

Bob G
Crapshooter