Cost of Supersprint System

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rmorin1249

Cost of Supersprint System

Post by rmorin1249 »

I'm trying to figure out the cost of Supersprint system for my M635 Euro. I would like to replace the entire system from the headers back. Do I need to buy the front and center resonators and the rear muffler? My car has no cats. Who is the best vendor for Supersprint? I have found a couple but the discount off MSRP is very small.

This what I am finding online:

Front Resonator
022 781 302 Price: $446.88
All Supersprint resonators are of the flow through resonated design. This means each unit has no chambers or baffles to reduce velocity. Simply, a straight through in & out design!

Note: Requires flange modification for US M5 & M6 models. To be used with 022 781 506/022 781 526/022 781 306 muffler only. (more info)

Center Resonator
022 781 523 Price: $644.53
All Supersprint resonators are of the flow through resonated design. This means each unit has no chambers or baffles to reduce velocity. Simply, a straight through in & out design!

Note: Requires flange modification for US M5 & M6 models. To be used with 022 781 506/022 781 526/022 781 306 muffler only. (more info)
Compatible with models from 01/1985 to 09/1987

Euro Muffler w/ Round Tips
Tip Description: Dual 80mm Round
022 781 306 Price: $637.66
All Supersprint mufflers are of the flow through resonated design. This means each unit has no chambers or baffles to reduce velocity. Simply, a straight through in & out design. (more info)

Thanks.
markh

Post by markh »

Those prices seem high. I did a full cat-back SuperSprint system for less than $1,100 a couple of years ago. And I don't remember buying components, but instead the entire system. Yes, the flange needs to be converted from Euro to US but that was a simple cut/weld at the shop. I'll have to dig around a bit to remember where I bought it. I remember it took a few weeks as they were waiting on a shipment from Italy.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

markh wrote:Those prices seem high. I did a full cat-back SuperSprint system for less than $1,100 a couple of years ago. And I don't remember buying components, but instead the entire system. Yes, the flange needs to be converted from Euro to US but that was a simple cut/weld at the shop. I'll have to dig around a bit to remember where I bought it. I remember it took a few weeks as they were waiting on a shipment from Italy.
Not sure I'll have to convert anything as I have the stock Euro exhaust on my car now.
markh

Post by markh »

Randall - Good point on the flange - I had neglected to look at your sig. Therein lies the difference I'm guessing. Mine was 2 pieces from the cat back. Yours appears to have a 3rd section that goes up front in place of the cat possibly. Not sure. Real OEM wasn't obvious. And I can't find the paperwork on where I purchased mine from. Possibly direct from SSNA in Tyler TX.
jpr210

Post by jpr210 »

Any ideas on lower priced sources for supersprint? They all seem expensive for what is essentially a mild steel exhaust that will eventually rust? any other sources other than stebro or BB? need to replace the abomination the PO put on the car, in the worst way...soon.

TIA

Jpr
markh

Post by markh »

Many speak highly of Ireland Engineering. Reasonably priced too.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

jpr210 wrote:Any ideas on lower priced sources for supersprint? They all seem expensive for what is essentially a mild steel exhaust that will eventually rust? any other sources other than stebro or BB? need to replace the abomination the PO put on the car, in the worst way...soon.

TIA

Jpr
I am giving serious thought to finding a reputable shop to design, fabricate and install a custom system if I decide to scrap my OEM stuff. Need to have my current system inspected to see if it's still in good shape. Would it be heresy to use something like a Magnaflow on a BMW? I sure like the sound of the Supersprint stuff but man is it expensive and their warranty is not all that great.

I had a B&B on my '88 635 and it sounded pretty nice. I did not notice any objectionable drone but it also had cats. My current car has no cats so I am concerned that a B&B without some resonators would be too loud. I am wondering if a local shop can fabricate some sort of resonators combined with a B&B rear muffler. The rear muffler alone is almost $1000 (WOW!).

I talked to the new North American distributor for Supersprint, they are in Quebec, Canada. They are checking with HQ in Italy to make sure the right components are still available for the Euro E24 M635. Even if they are, the cost my cause me to rethink whether or not they are worth the cost.

Is anyone running a B&B with no cats? What about a resonator? I really don't want a lot of droning at highway speeds.
waynetusa

Post by waynetusa »

The retail price for this system jumped about $400 about 18 months ago. I purchased a complete system for my 85 M635. The fit was pretty good and I thought the sound was great - not too loud, no whine at speed and nice burble when letting off the gas. Car was hit while parked and I sold it to my mechanic for parts. However, I kept the SS system which has less than 5,000 miles on it. I bought a replacement 85 M635 with a custom exhaust - louder but so far bearable. Might consider selling the SS system...

Wayne
Feld1128

Post by Feld1128 »

I replaced my system with the B&B system, no cats just a resonator in each side and the B&b muffler. Not loud at a all, but I had to have the section from the header to middle of car made which is just stainless piping with a few mild bends. Still can't post pics otherwise I would working off a mac.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

I've decided to stay stock and replace my rear muffler with a new OEM BMW rear muffler. With help from alpinacsi, found a dealer who is offering a nice discount. Including all new mounting hardware it will run about $600.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

jpr210 wrote:Any ideas on lower priced sources for supersprint? They all seem expensive for what is essentially a mild steel exhaust that will eventually rust? any other sources other than stebro or BB? need to replace the abomination the PO put on the car, in the worst way...soon.

TIA

Jpr
I know this post is 8 months old and is no longer germane as the OP has sorted himself out ,but i've got a Supersprint rear section and it's stainless steel, not mild steel. Maybe SS offer both versions but i've only ever seen stainless.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Paul Humpage wrote:

TIA

Jpr
I know this post is 8 months old and is no longer germane as the OP has sorted himself out ,but i've got a Supersprint rear section and it's stainless steel, not mild steel. Maybe SS offer both versions but i've only ever seen stainless.
Can you describe the sound of your system in terms of any drone at highway speeds. Also, are you running headers, any cats, center resonator? I am still trying to decide what to do. Turns out I need both a center resonator and rear muffler. With the mounting hardware the cost will be close to $1000 not including installation. I want a nice mellow sound at idle but no objectionable drone at highway speeds. Getting some quotes on a Supersprint system from a couple dealers in the US.
cornershop

Post by cornershop »

I'm reading that supersprint use 409 stainless, which isn't as durable as 304?

Only skimmed the article below however

http://www.summitracing.com/expertadvic ... nswer/3932
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if so the 400 series stainless is less expensive than 3xx stainless and is also less corrosion resistant. Wherever it is hot enough it will develop a rusty patina in time; salty water will help this along nicely.

Quite a lot of OEM exhausts have 4xx pipework these days, and sometimes 4xx boxes but usually aluminised ones. I have yet to see a 4xx pipe actually rot through inside 15 years, but I've seen plenty where you couldn't tell if they were stainless or not very easily.

If you know what you are looking at you can salvage 4xx stainless pipework at the scrappies and build your own system for peanuts. I also suspect that some OEM BMW exhausts for E24 use 4xx pipes; I always fancied making (or adapting ) new stainless boxes and joining these onto OEM pipes. This way you could have a stock look, lighter weight, and any sound you wanted.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Looks like Supersprint is only offering the non-stainless version components for the M635 Euro. Retail for just the center resonator and rear muffler is in excess of $1000 actually closer to $1300.

Brucey, can you do me a favor and check to see if the following parts are still being sold in Europe? Several US BMW dealers are telling me they are NLA. Perhaps this means NLA in the US. Surely there are enough M635 Euros running around over there to keep these parts in the system.

I can't believe this is true.

Here they are:

18122225082 front muffler
18121309004 rear muffler
18211176472 hardware kit

Thanks.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I tried the rear silencer part number and it is listed as available here;

http://www.online-teile.com/bmw/product ... mpfer.html

and perhaps more usefully for you guys here too;

http://www.top3racing.com/shop/BMW-Part ... 46159.html

Normally when a part is genuinely discontinued it says so on BMW's own online ETK, and the other online ETKs (like realoem and bmwfans) are usually updated to suit. However I have heard that some US dealers won't (rather than can't) supply certain M635 (euro) parts to US customers. Maybe this is the problem.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

rmorin1249 wrote:

Can you describe the sound of your system in terms of any drone at highway speeds. Also, are you running headers, any cats, center resonator? I am still trying to decide what to do. Turns out I need both a center resonator and rear muffler. With the mounting hardware the cost will be close to $1000 not including installation. I want a nice mellow sound at idle but no objectionable drone at highway speeds. Getting some quotes on a Supersprint system from a couple dealers in the US.
At highway speeds, 100kmh through to 140 there is no irritating drone at all. There was for the first couple of hundred kilometres which i must admit i found really irritating and thought i'd made a terrible and costly mistake but once it bedded down it was almost as quiet as stock. I've got the original headers on but from the headers back to the Supersprint rear section was custom made in stainless with new twin cats. It was only custom made as there was no off the shelf option available so it's no super duper straight through bellow box as i didn't want that.

It sounds glorious. Really throaty at idle with the hint of menace and a deep powerful roar when you open the taps but it's never silly loud or intrusive.

Ellis kindly videoed me one the first run we did after i'd had the exhaust fitted so this might give an idea. Mind you, i can't get the bugger to run on this computer.

http://vimeo.com/3306102

Regards
Paul
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Paul Humpage wrote:
rmorin1249 wrote:

At highway speeds, 100kmh through to 140 there is no irritating drone at all. There was for the first couple of hundred kilometres which i must admit i found really irritating and thought i'd made a terrible and costly mistake but once it bedded down it was almost as quiet as stock. I've got the original headers on but from the headers back to the Supersprint rear section was custom made in stainless with new twin cats. It was only custom made as there was no off the shelf option available so it's no super duper straight through bellow box as i didn't want that.

It sounds glorious. Really throaty at idle with the hint of menace and a deep powerful roar when you open the taps but it's never silly loud or intrusive.

Ellis kindly videoed me one the first run we did after i'd had the exhaust fitted so this might give an idea. Mind you, i can't get the bugger to run on this computer.

http://vimeo.com/3306102

Regards
Paul
Thanks, Paul. I don't have any cats so I am guessing this will make mine a tad noisier if I go with Supersprint.

Updated: I ended up ordering a new OEM system through my local dealer. Couldn't justify the cost of a complete Supersprint system and was concerned about the noise level. All is well.
2002alpina

M635 exhaust system replacement

Post by 2002alpina »

This is very interesting. I have two M635's parts car built Nov 85, the other 24 days later Dec 1985.
Mission:
Install B&B system from a low mileage '88 M6
Remove OEM from street car and replace with B&B
Put removed OEM system on parts car (runs, does everything)
Both cars are identical anthracite with Buffalo interior.

The two flanges are different!
Older car is three bolt
New car is two bolt.

The B&B is 2 bolt so I have to convert to three bolt by cutting the
OEM flanged side and installing on the B&B System.

Where can I find 2 bolt flanges so that I can later put the OEM system
on the parts car???
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Are you referring to the flange on the collector from the headers? If so, are you certain you have the original headers on both cars?

When I talked to the folks at Supersprint they advised me of the difference between the US and Euro cars and one was the difference in the flanges; 3 bolts on the Euro cars and 2 bolts on US cars. The folks at B&B said the same thing as their rear muffler is designed to fit the US car but not the Euro whereas the Supersprint components are designed for the Euro car.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I am wanting to check my information based on what you are seeing on your 2 cars. I guess it is possible that the flange changed sometime around December 1985. I see that your newer car is listed as an 86 and your older car is an 85.

Mine is a 03/85 build and it has the 3 bolt flanges.