Style 42 wheels for 1988 M6

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

alinyc

Style 42 wheels for 1988 M6

Post by alinyc »

Hi - new to the shark world and am looking forward to the fun.
The M6 has TRXs on it and I am looking to replace them with 17 inch Style 42.

1. Can you please let me know if you have/know of a set for sale in very good condition?
2. I've seen several listings from wheel suppliers (e.g. OEM Wheels, All Factory Wheels, Nitrous Garage, etc.). Does anyone have positive/negative experiences dealing with these places?

Thanks
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Personally I would prefer to find wheels requiring refurb as opposed to perfect used wheels from those re-sellers. Reason being is you don't know the extent of the damage the wheel may have had previous to the refurb. I have been to refurb shops and I've seen wheels I would have scrapped getting re-done. I had to ask the shop and the response was they get them all the time and they look good as new when done. The wheel owner is then able to command a premium for a wheel that may not be 100% good.

ECS Tuning was selling the Style 42 wheel a couple of years back for some outrageous clearance discount and they sold out quickly. I think they were selling brand new wheels for less than $200 each. Memory is cloudy but I do remember the sale. Now a nice set of used wheels can cost as much as $1200 or more.

You may need hub rings as the style 42 wheel is typically from the e39. Good luck with your quest.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
ericono

Post by ericono »

Style 42s look great on the 6er, IMHO. Good choice.

Ralph, you are correct. I checked my records and it was $680, including shipping for 4 wheels, 4 BMW center caps and 4 hub centric rings (which are required as you thought). I thought I had died and gone to heaven. 42s are some of my favorite rims and to get a brand new set was awesome. They did sell out quickly. I barely got a set. Not sure how many they had, but don't think it was many.

They actually had some 18" style 42s for the same price, I think. I didn't need any 18" wheels, but I wish i had gotten them now just to re-sell. Didn't have enough spare cash laying around to justify that though.

Anyway, go for the style 42s, although I can see the validity in Ralph's concern, you'll be glad you did.

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

ericono wrote:Style 42s look great on the 6er, IMHO. Good choice.

Ralph, you are correct. I checked my records and it was $680, including shipping for 4 wheels, 4 BMW center caps and 4 hub centric rings (which are required as you thought). I thought I had died and gone to heaven. 42s are some of my favorite rims and to get a brand new set was awesome. They did sell out quickly. I barely got a set. Not sure how many they had, but don't think it was many.

They actually had some 18" style 42s for the same price, I think. I didn't need any 18" wheels, but I wish i had gotten them now just to re-sell. Didn't have enough spare cash laying around to justify that though.

Anyway, go for the style 42s, although I can see the validity in Ralph's concern, you'll be glad you did.

Eric
You were one of the lucky ones Eric. Agreed that Style 42s look very nice on the six.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

I agree that Style 42 look great on the 635. I was also able to buy some of the last OEM wheels from Irvine BMW in March 2011. They were closing them out for $141 each! I also bought 4 new hub covers for 14.25 each. $622 plus tax! They refused to ship them for me so I drove down from the Bay Area to pick them up.

I bought some aluminum hub centric rings from Justforwheels.com for $46. :D
1985 635CSi 5MT Delphin Grey/Pearl Beige

Does a guilt free shark have a feeling of remoras?
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

you can get hub rings a lot cheaper that $46,

$6.00 for plastic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-1-TO-72-56-H ... 1054466683

$17.00 for metal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-Aluminum-Hu ... 1207502118
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I have a set of M42s, need a refinish, but they look good on a m6