Removal of OE body stripes

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Removal of OE body stripes

Post by olympia57 »

In the process of prepping the front spoiler/bumper for repainting I had to remove the factory thick / thin bodystripe from the lower edge of the spoiler.
I had to use a heatgun, hair dryer, selection of scrapers and eventually an orbital sander . Even then the residue left had to be removed with tar & glue remover, thinners and then petrol applied by toothbrush. It was surprisingly difficult.
I'd like to replace the weathered body stripe along the full length of the car but unlike the spoiler I will have to find a way that doesn't damage the paint underneath.
Has anyone any tips or methods on removing these decals without damaging the paint ?
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I was cleaning my Highline with a pressure washer the other day and it took the stripes off! Maybe it'll work for you too :-k
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

My 2 year old did one side of mine while I wasn't looking :shock:

The other side came off easy as well but I don't think they where the original ones
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

You can try a "decal eraser wheel". Look on youtube for videos.

Finish with a decal remover spray and then polish and wax.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Da_Hose wrote:You can try a "decal eraser wheel". Look on youtube for videos.

Finish with a decal remover spray and then polish and wax.

Jose
I seen one of them on U tube and have to say I was a bit sceptical but it did seem to remove the broad bonnet stripe the guy was working on.
I'd need to take some " courage " pills before I used one though , but it may be the only solution.....
Have you used one Jose ?
Don
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Pod wrote:I was cleaning my Highline with a pressure washer the other day and it took the stripes off! Maybe it'll work for you too :-k
Ha! Same.
Oct. '81 635
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Never tried one myself, but I do have an RV that needs a repaint and the old decals need to come off.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Da_Hose wrote:Never tried one myself, but I do have an RV that needs a repaint and the old decals need to come off.

Jose
I've ordered one so I'll let you know if it works .
deacs

Post by deacs »

Be interested to see if it works, I have some body stripes to remove too
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Be very careful, if you are referring to a rubber wheel that you put in an electric drill.
I bought one to remove some stripes before a repaint.
It is very easy to 'burn' the underlying paint.
Eventually gave up as I thought it was causing too much damage to underlying paint and left it to the body shop to remove prior to repainting.
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

I have used these wheels they are terrific. We call them a "caramel" wheel down under because they are a light brown colour and smell like caramel when you use them. They work really well but do generate heat, on a 2 pack paint this is no problem but more care is needed on acrylic paints.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

BTW if you go with the 'pressure washer solution' try to use a hot wash.

I used to use a 70C hot wash on my bikes (every day in the winter) and I could have taken off all the decals with no difficulty. As it was some of the lesser ones came off even though I didn't mean them to.

I'd say that you have a pretty fair chance of shifting any decal that way provided it isn't under a good layer of clear coat.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~