Need to buy Bilstein Bumpstops but which ones

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

orlando

Need to buy Bilstein Bumpstops but which ones

Post by orlando »

Hi guys,

I need to replace the bump stops in my 1985 M635CSI as they are cooked. My shock absorbers are Bilstein and I had a look today and the rear ones have the numbers 5210725W00. I have searched for this number and also googled it and find nothing.

Could you please help me to identify the shock absorbers? Are the bump stops standard? or are they shock dependant?

There is a post: An appeal for OEM Bilstein information where it appears that Brucey had cracked the code of the Bilstein part numbers, maybe you can help me.

Thank you.
aussie_bronzit
1985 M635CSI Right Hand Drive
M88 engine not S38
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Hi Orlando
The listed part number om realoem for an M635 rear bumpstop is 33522225023.
Pelican parts have this available for just under $20 each.
Cheers
Dave
orlando

Post by orlando »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. That is assuming that I have the original shock absorber and I don't know if I do. The part number in RealOEM for the absorber doesn't correspond to the numbers printed on the absorber itself.

Regards, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Orlando
What I've done to save some info, is to write some things down since I'm not able to save in a folder.
Bilstein's # is 858)386-5900. In San Diego, Cal. Actually, I think Poway, Cal.
Outside of San Diego?
Good luck,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

orlando wrote:Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. That is assuming that I have the original shock absorber and I don't know if I do. The part number in RealOEM for the absorber doesn't correspond to the numbers printed on the absorber itself.

Regards, Orlando.
Bilstein doesn't make bump stops for it's rear shocks, You just use the stock, external BMW bump stop and dust cover.

Now, the front Bilstein inserts don't use external bump stops as Bilstein includes the bump stops inside the inserts, at the bottom of the insert. Brucey has a post on the different Bilstein internal bump stops for the inserts if you do a search.

The BMW part numbers and the numbers on the parts themselves often don't match. The numbers on the part may be the manufactures/suppliers number.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

as others have pointed out the correct bumpstop at the rear is the BMW stock part. You might want to shorten it slightly if you go nuts with lowering but then keeping the bumpstop and shroud kept in the right place gets tricky.

At the front there are at least three choices of bumpstop, all bilstein part numbers (BMW will sell you the complete insert, but not just the bumpstop inside it).

Front part numbers and piccies here;

viewtopic.php?t=3039&highlight=bumpstops

These can also be cut down and in a way, it is an easier job because they don't locate a shroud or anything. You do have to dismantle the entire front strut which is a PITA though.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
orlando

Post by orlando »

Thank you so much to Dave, Chris and Brucey for your replies, it helps a lot. On my way to order the bumpstops.

Brucey, I still would like to identify the shock absorbers I have at the back, they have the numbers 5210725W00 in case I need to replace them too.

Thanks again an best regards, Orlando
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I did give you the number to Bilstein, right?
I just went to 'Bilstein.com' & even found a distributor in N.S.W.! =D>
Last edited by GripGreg on Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

they are the stock M635/M6 bilsteins

Old PN; B46-0725

New part number; 24-007252

The valving and the stroke are different from the bilstein sport shock, and of course the spring diameter is larger than that found on the other E24/2 (E28 chassis) shocks. You can use one of the other fitments provided you swap the spring perches over.

cheers
orlando

Post by orlando »

GripGreg wrote:I did give you the number to Bilstein, right?
You did indeed Greg, Thank you so much. A bit tricky with the time difference between USA and Australia and work commitments but Saturday mornings are good for calling USA suppliers. Again Greg thank you.

Regards, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
orlando

Post by orlando »

Brucey wrote:they are the stock M635/M6 bilsteins

Old PN; B46-0725

New part number; 24-007252

The valving and the stroke are different from the bilstein sport shock, and of course the spring diameter is larger than that found on the other E24/2 (E28 chassis) shocks. You can use one of the other fitments provided you swap the spring perches over.

cheers
Thank you very much Brucey. I don't intend to lower the car, just keep it as it is. You have come up with the goods again!!!
Regards, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

You can go to the Bilstein website also, much of this info is on there.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Orlando, re-read my edited version! :wink:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

For those running H&R springs with bilstein sports are you trimming the rear bump stops and if so, by how much? I realise this is somewhat dependent on where the rear spring perches are sitting, but assuming is in keeping with front height.

Thanks Chris
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

orlando wrote:
You did indeed Greg, Thank you so much. A bit tricky with the time difference between USA and Australia and work commitments but Saturday mornings are good for calling USA suppliers. Again Greg thank you.

Regards, Orlando.
Hello Orlando,

How are you going, Hope all is well.

If you are buying Bilsteins from the USA, Look up E-Shocks. They are Bilstein agents and the prices are great. I bought 4 Bilsteins for my Navara and they cost me $450 the set incl Freight and arrived in 4 days!! Top service.

Regards

Greg
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

jps635 wrote:For those running H&R springs with bilstein sports are you trimming the rear bump stops and if so, by how much? I realise this is somewhat dependent on where the rear spring perches are sitting, but assuming is in keeping with front height.

Thanks Chris
I'd suggest that you tune this by trial and error.

Be careful though; if you trim one end much, the shroud falls off the bump stop, and if you trim the other end much the bump stop slides down the shaft.

cheers
orlando

Post by orlando »

Hi Greg,

Things are going really well. Thank you so much for the lead up. Good to know the supplier.

The shocks were good after having them checked. I ended up installing new mounts, new bump stops where applicable, new dust boots and new hardware (bolts, nuts etc).

I took the opportunity to also treat the rust in the struts and painted them and the spring coils with Por-15.

They look great and the ride is lovely. I have only done the back ones as I am waiting for some parts for the front.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
slofut

Post by slofut »

AusE24 wrote:
orlando wrote:

Regards, Orlando.
Hello Orlando,

How are you going, Hope all is well.

If you are buying Bilsteins from the USA, Look up E-Shocks. They are Bilstein agents and the prices are great. I bought 4 Bilsteins for my Navara and they cost me $450 the set incl Freight and arrived in 4 days!! Top service.

Regards

Greg
Great link Greg, thanks much!
Bill
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville