Greetings from Canada - New Shark Owner

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

david85csi

Greetings from Canada - New Shark Owner

Post by david85csi »

Hi Guys, recently signed up over and bimmerforums and someone suggested coming here too. Both seem to be great resources so far.

I bought the car a couple weeks ago and have been sorting out some of its issues. Idle and fuel mixture seems to be satisfactory for now. After replacing the o2 sensor and changing the settings of the AFM, its finally running nicely. Had a tendency to oscillate when at idle, Surge at WOT, and backfire when upshifting or engine breaking (nothing crazy, just an occasional muffled pop).

Main issue right now is the suspension. One of the car's many previous owners lowered it, and the rear camber/toe is visibly out of spec with negative rear camber. The front wheels seem to be ok but I haven't checked the alignment yet. I'm not yet sure what brand of springs I have in, but the red paint led someone to suggest they are BavAuto lowering springs. No plans to hoon this thing, and after scraping one speed bump already, I'd rather just put the car back to OEM height than try installing a camber correction kit.

I wouldn't mind keeping the current spring rate on all corners since handling is quite good as is, but does anyone know if I can get some stiffer springs that are stock height? I'm new to BMWs but so far everything seems to be geared toward lowering. Kinda like pickups, only the other way round.

As you can see in the photos, someone already did the euro bumper conversion and the BBS wheels are a nice upgrade. The earliest Carfax records are from southern California and it does have an American speedometer so I'm guessing that's where it came from. Other than a few spots where a power buffer wore through the paint, its 99% rust free.
Attachments
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG (541.62 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1607.JPG (564.11 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

What year is it? I am assuming '83/84?
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Handle says 85csi . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

Welcome David :shock:

Yes, you're in the right place, for dealing strictly with 6ers that is :wink:

Looks like a nice example, with some nice mods already completed =D>

Too bad the P/O didn't go with the later wraparound style rear bumper from the later Euro models :-?

You should be able to get plenty of help here with your current running issues, and sorting out the suspension, evrything really :lol:

Once again, welcome to the madness 8)

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Love the rusty 2-6-2 in the background. Canadian Pacific? Can't read the markings on the tender. Almost like an unrestored 6'er. But they use thicker metal than the German car builders.....
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Sidrick

Post by Sidrick »

Love the car, love the train!
tschultz

Re: Handle says 85csi . . .

Post by tschultz »

GRNSHRK wrote:Welcome David :shock:

Yes, you're in the right place, for dealing strictly with 6ers that is :wink:

Looks like a nice example, with some nice mods already completed =D>

Too bad the P/O didn't go with the later wraparound style rear bumper from the later Euro models :-?

You should be able to get plenty of help here with your current running issues, and sorting out the suspension, evrything really :lol:

Once again, welcome to the madness 8)

I like the the early bumpers personally!!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
david85csi

Post by david85csi »

Thanks for the complements guys. Yeah the car has been turning a lot of heads. Wasn't quite prepared for that in all honesty. Normally I drive either a saturn or a rusty old ford F250 (latter is in early restoration process).

The car is a 1986, and yes, I agree the euro wrap around bumpers would have been nicer, but beggars can't be choosers. The only other euro styled 6er I saw was a white 1984 M6 (german spec car). Needless to say, I couldn't justify that kind of price. I almost went for a 1987 canadian version CSI for the same price a while back but that one already had some rust at the rear wheel arches. I'm glad I held out for this one.

So...does anyone have some suggestions for front springs? I have done autobody, suspension, engine/auto trans overhaul on other vehicles but I'm new to BMWs. Figured I better ask before going out and buying parts.
david85csi

Post by david85csi »

sansouci wrote:Love the rusty 2-6-2 in the background. Canadian Pacific? Can't read the markings on the tender. Almost like an unrestored 6'er. But they use thicker metal than the German car builders.....
Its actually a 2-8-2. Letters say "Canadian Forest Products Ltd."

Pretty much everything on the island that old was either in mining or forestry. Even now the rails are mostly used for freight on the island. Thicker steel or not, there are plenty of spots where rust was coming through. We actually came on it by accident while looking for a reason to drive the car.

I'm discovering that driving a shark can be quite habit forming.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Looks great there.

Some rear -ve camber is ok up to about 2deg is ideal. I have -3.5 on the rear which is too much also as a consequence of lowering.
The only real option is to install done weld in adjusters which you would do on the toe as well. If the toe is ok around 0.5 to 1mm per side it will wear the rear tyres fairly evenly. If you have any toe out on the rear it will use up the inside edges pretty heavily.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Now I see the other pair of driving wheels behind the steam cylinders. Love the contrast with the red 6 against the black and silver engine
Sansouci
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Welcome to the forum :D
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

welcome aboard! -have you run your VIN number to identify the exact build date?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
david85csi

Post by david85csi »

sansouci wrote:Now I see the other pair of driving wheels behind the steam cylinders. Love the contrast with the red 6 against the black and silver engine
I'm kinda wishing I parked the car right next to the locomotive. There were no signs of anything fenced off so it would have made for some interesting contrast. My sister got some better photos of the car on her camera. I just used my old Iphone.
Brucey wrote:welcome aboard! -have you run your VIN number to identify the exact build date?

cheers
Hmm, yes that would have made sense. Now I'm a good 1000 miles away in the next province. #-o

I could probably get someone to text me a photo of the dash tag though.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Don't you keep your registration in your wallet?
Sansouci
david85csi

Post by david85csi »

Nope. That stays with the car.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Last thing I want is to have some moron break into my car and know where I live....
Sansouci
david85csi

Post by david85csi »

Well, new front springs are on the way. I ordered a pair of 31331127662 springs which should bring the front up to stock height (thanks to Brucey for his list over here: viewtopic.php?t=16947). For the rear, I'll try just changing the perch height. Once everything is at the correct height, and properly aligned, I'll decide if its worth replacing the rear springs as well (probably not).