Inexpensive Window Switches

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Inexpensive Window Switches

Post by Da_Hose »

I just bought one of these switches to replace an intermittent rear window switch in my console and thought I should share the info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361350081465

The fit was a tiny bit loose, but putting a slip of paper behind one of the metal retaining clips tightened the fit just fine. The switch works great and is a lot brighter than the existing switches. I think I will replace them all.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
brickwhite

switch

Post by brickwhite »

I had one of those, it seemed to get alot hotter than the others for some reason. I replaced with an OE from the Junk yard.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Probably got hotter due to a brighter bulb.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I tinkered with the switches today and discovered some stuff I found rather interesting.

The BMW OEM switch has nice, rounded shoulders on the buttons. The buttons also have a really nice patina. However, they are very dim and a couple have started malfunctioning.

The new switches I bought have square edges and that makes them look like a modern replacement. I would be fine with them if this was a standard, daily driver 6er, but not for an M6. However, they are WAY brighter than the OEM switches.

I have opened up a switch before to restore function, so I thought maybe I could swap around parts. When I had everything apart, I realized that the bases of the new switches are made from the same materials as the OEM. However, the metal used to make contact inside the button seems pretty flimsy.

So in the end, I took apart 2 old and new switches and used the pieces as follows.

Complete base of the new switch (with brighter bulb)
Complete Button and top switch frame from OEM switches

The result is switches that look like they belong in the car, but restored function and brighter bulbs. If they get temperamental down the road, then I know for sure I don't like how the cheap switches look. I will just buy new OEM switches.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
jacko

Post by jacko »

I've found that these switches can be "restored" pretty easily. fiberglass scratch pen, Deoxit and a dab of dielectric grease.
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I restored the front, driver switch once before, when the window wouldn't close.

The curious thing is that the contacts on the main body seem to wear down from the arc of electricity, but the metal on the button part looks just fine on the switches I opened up. The new switches use really thin copper with thick contact pads in the button part. I didn't like the way you had to really lean on the button to make it work with those contacts, so I reused the heavier brass contacts in the old buttons with the new bases.

I put the remaining parts together so the cheap switches are now good spares. In the future. I might go ahead and buy a couple more of the inexpensive switches, so I can switch out the bulbs. I wish the BMW switches used the brighter bulbs.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
jacko

Post by jacko »

The closest I can get with replacement bulbs are too bright (hot).
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

With the brighter bulbs, the switches definitely get warmer than OEM.

I've had the replacement in for a month now to confirm the extra heat is OK. No problems at all, so I am confident swapping out the bulbs.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car