1987 635 euro spec in the deserts of the UAE

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TBM

Post by TBM »

m6dave wrote:I had the Miller MAF and WAR chip on my M6 and the difference in throttle response and smoothness was terrific. I have since gone to a standalone fully sequential system and would be happy to sell the MAF and chip if anyone is interested, only suits S38 not M88.
Dave,

What standalone are you using? I want to install a standalone on my M88 but the biggest issue is base program that takes so much time to get right. Thinking about haltech.
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Dave,

What standalone are you using? I want to install a standalone on my M88 but the biggest issue is base program that takes so much time to get right. Thinking about haltech.
I've pmed you rather than hijack this thread
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Had plans for today but quickly scrapped all of them when I realized my distributor cap was ready for collection.

We swapped out the cap and rotor, the ones installed looked as they were the originals from the factory (car manufactired 11/1987) distributor and rotor were manf (85/87) and they showed signs of wear. The pins on the cap were worn down 50% while the rotor looked completely gone.

On cold starting the engine in the morning the rpm kept rising and falling and the idle control valve had alot grime inside, cleaned it out and need to temporarily jubilee clip the hose that connects by the valve cover as it's very loose till it's replaced.

With the dist. cap replaced the idle was much much smoother, as well as revving it up gradually, very faint misfiring is still there and the spark plugs were all good except for #6 cylinder it had more carbon deposits and could smell unburnt fuel. I'll be taking the injectors to get tested and overhauled in the morning while the valves get adjusted. Fingers crossed everything gets bolted back on tomorrow and engine runs well, that'll mean I can take it down to the exhaust shop, get rid of the cat pipes swap the mufflers for a slightly more aggressiveone and get rid of the horrendous exhaust tip to the normal double pipe.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec
Was: R̶o̶y̶a̶l̶b̶l̶a̶u̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶1̶8̶9̶)̶
Now: Tiefseeblau Metallic (A76)

VIN: 0766354
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Check the banjo bolts on the oiler tube while you're in there adjusting the valves.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

hornhospital wrote:Check the banjo bolts on the oiler tube while you're in there adjusting the valves.
Will be sure do that, thanks
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Put everything back on today as valve clearance was spot on when we checked so we didn't need to adjust or tighten anything up, had a small vacuum leak and two of the vacuum hoses were routed wrong so we replaced those with new ones and connected them to the correct areas.

On testing we started experiencing very rough idle, tge engine would rev smoothly but as soon as revs drop to idle it would stumble almost die and catch itself, we knew the ICV needs replacing but it wasn't this bad before we cleaned everything up and fixed the vacuum leak.

Took a break then went for a short test drive and noticed the temp gauge would stay on cold and max moved up by 2-3mm when engine was at operating temps...

Went back under the hood and double checked everything and all was correct, until we looked at the oil and coolant temp connectors. One was coded blue and the other black. Blue connects to blue right? Wrong! We swapped the connectors just to try and temp gauge works fine now and the rough idle is gone. The icv will be swapped out from a scrapped vehicle and need to pick up some new belts for the engine, next step exhaust.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Had an exhaust fabbed up on Saturday, sounds much better now and I don't need to cringe each time I look at the rear end and see that exhaust tip it had on.

I'll throw on the gopro when I have time and try to capture the exhaust note.

1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Here's a full shot of the custom ss exhaust
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

madman

also in UAE

Post by madman »

Hi, I came by your thread and it's interesting to know some 6 enthusiasts in UAE. Great job on your 6 so far keep it up. Let me know if we can catch up sometime I am in Dubai.
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims
Desert635

Re: also in UAE

Post by Desert635 »

madman wrote:Hi, I came by your thread and it's interesting to know some 6 enthusiasts in UAE. Great job on your 6 so far keep it up. Let me know if we can catch up sometime I am in Dubai.
Thanks still far from completion but progress has been good, are a member with the bmw club uae? I've registered but never been to any of their meets or events yet
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

madman

Post by madman »

I registered to their forum but never went to a meeting anytime....always busy. Let's meet sometime and put our 2 sixes next to each other and have coffee....would like to know your opinion about some technical stuff too you seem into it.
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims
spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

madman wrote:I registered to their forum but never went to a meeting anytime....always busy. Let's meet sometime and put our 2 sixes next to each other and have coffee....would like to know your opinion about some technical stuff too you seem into it.
Mohammed is always busy, he missed the last Bimmerfest
Desert635 wrote:
madman wrote:Hi, I came by your thread and it's interesting to know some 6 enthusiasts in UAE. Great job on your 6 so far keep it up. Let me know if we can catch up sometime I am in Dubai.
Thanks still far from completion but progress has been good, are a member with the bmw club uae? I've registered but never been to any of their meets or events yet
Mashalla, off to a better start than mine!

Strange, i didnt see you at Bimmerfest....Lets all meet up and chat!

Let me know if you need help locating parts or want to do some mods, there is plenty to be done to wake up the M30
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
madman wrote:I registered to their forum but never went to a meeting anytime....always busy. Let's meet sometime and put our 2 sixes next to each other and have coffee....would like to know your opinion about some technical stuff too you seem into it.
Mohammed is always busy, he missed the last Bimmerfest
Desert635 wrote:
Mashalla, off to a better start than mine!

Strange, i didnt see you at Bimmerfest....Lets all meet up and chat!

Let me know if you need help locating parts or want to do some mods, there is plenty to be done to wake up the M30
I didn't make it. Didn't have the 6 ready in time, for know I just need to source a driveshaft for the manual transmission so I can overhaul all the parts and make the swap
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:I didn't make it. Didn't have the 6 ready in time, for know I just need to source a driveshaft for the manual transmission so I can overhaul all the parts and make the swap
Its better to buy it whole...the gearbox, pedals, shaft. Look on mye28 and bimmerforums if you have no luck here

Whats your rear diff ratio?

Do you have a shipper to deliver it to UAE?
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
Desert635 wrote:I didn't make it. Didn't have the 6 ready in time, for know I just need to source a driveshaft for the manual transmission so I can overhaul all the parts and make the swap
Its better to buy it whole...the gearbox, pedals, shaft. Look on mye28 and bimmerforums if you have no luck here

A memeber here was selling a whole set for a conversion and as I already had a gearbox aside I took everything aside from the trans, druve shaft and diff. I still need to check the diff ratio and if the gearbox I have works well. Shipping is getting done through aramex, i wanted to first try sourcing the larger heavier items locally as shipping would be a killer
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote:

A memeber here was selling a whole set for a conversion and as I already had a gearbox aside I took everything aside from the trans, druve shaft and diff. I still need to check the diff ratio and if the gearbox I have works well. Shipping is getting done through aramex, i wanted to first try sourcing the larger heavier items locally as shipping would be a killer
Ahh, shop and ship...killing us since 2010

If you want, you can use my shipper that i use to get muscle cars and parts from the states. Deliver it to his warehouse and 45 days later infront of you and payment upon receiving.

A word of advice, better buy the whole kit even if you have a manual tranny with you, its better to have a spare one rather than it failing then waiting to source another one
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote: Its better to buy it whole...the gearbox, pedals, shaft. Look on mye28 and bimmerforums if you have no luck here

If you want, you can use my shipper that i use to get muscle cars and parts from the states. Deliver it to his warehouse and 45 days later infront of you and payment upon receiving.

A word of advice, better buy the whole kit even if you have a manual tranny with you, its better to have a spare one rather than it failing then waiting to source another one
The parts already shipped out and should be delivered to aramex by tomorrow, the seller had a getrag 260 which is the same box I have, I'm trying to find a 265 which I want to open up and rebuild to make sure everything is as good as it can be, i want this thing to be reliable, it won't get abused but I will push her hard every now and again.

If I can't find anything here and need to get the trans from the US I'll hit you up for details on your shipper
Thanks

Mechanically wise aside from the auto-manual conversion only have 1 or 2 gaskets that need replacing, axle boots and a set of springs/shocks and then maybe convert the afm to a conventional maf. Electrics I'm not touching and having someone else do, the interior needa a new headliner and speedo. For the exterior I'll replace all the lights, complete rubber seals and chrome trim and give it a full re-spray.

What's funny is I've always loved the e24s and even had a revell model kit of the alpina b7 turbo coupe as a kid but I was actually looking for an FJ40 to restore when I stumbled across this one I almost passed it up, it was advertised for $6.5k but when I told the seller mya budget was $3.5k and he agreed that made me seriously consider it and thank god I did, had a freind (mechanic) come with me to look it over and we sealed the deal at $3.6k
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote:
Desert635 wrote: A memeber here was selling a whole set for a conversion and as I already had a gearbox aside I took everything aside from the trans, druve shaft and diff. I still need to check the diff ratio and if the gearbox I have works well. Shipping is getting done through aramex, i wanted to first try sourcing the larger heavier items locally as shipping would be a killer

The parts already shipped out and should be delivered to aramex by tomorrow, the seller had a getrag 260 which is the same box I have, I'm trying to find a 265 which I want to open up and rebuild to make sure everything is as good as it can be, i want this thing to be reliable, it won't get abused but I will push her hard every now and again.

If I can't find anything here and need to get the trans from the US I'll hit you up for details on your shipper
Thanks

Mechanically wise aside from the auto-manual conversion only have 1 or 2 gaskets that need replacing, axle boots and a set of springs/shocks and then maybe convert the afm to a conventional maf. Electrics I'm not touching and having someone else do, the interior needa a new headliner and speedo. For the exterior I'll replace all the lights, complete rubber seals and chrome trim and give it a full re-spray.

What's funny is I've always loved the e24s and even had a revell model kit of the alpina b7 turbo coupe as a kid but I was actually looking for an FJ40 to restore when I stumbled across this one I almost passed it up, it was advertised for $6.5k but when I told the seller mya budget was $3.5k and he agreed that made me seriously consider it and thank god I did, had a freind (mechanic) come with me to look it over and we sealed the deal at $3.6k
Mashalla...thats free for how it looks.

Shalat mali for 9,000dh. Not running, no keys, registration, warqat 7iyaza and not started for 2 years and looked like absolute garbage.

You can do like what i did, convert to motronic 1.3 and coilovers. The coilovers do wonders to the cars handling.

For brakes, you can use E31 front calipers and E34 540i calipers.

For interior, ask mohammed to take you to his guy, everybody says his interior is too new for such an old car and switch to a battery-less SI board

If you plan going for MAF and WAR chip, let me know, mohammed and me want in also
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote: Ahh, shop and ship...killing us since 2010

Thanks

Mashalla...thats free for how it looks.

Shalat mali for 9,000dh. Not running, no keys, registration, warqat 7iyaza and not started for 2 years and looked like absolute garbage.

You can do like what i did, convert to motronic 1.3 and coilovers. The coilovers do wonders to the cars handling.

For brakes, you can use E31 front calipers and E34 540i calipers.

For interior, ask mohammed to take you to his guy, everybody says his interior is too new for such an old car and switch to a battery-less SI board

If you plan going for MAF and WAR chip, let me know, mohammed and me want in also
To convert the maf I'd need the motronic 1.3 but i might not do the war chip as I'll probabky keep the engine stock. Which brand coilovers did you go for? As for the speedo the only gauge not working is rpm but when we opened it up some repairs had been done to the board and parts of the housing are cracked so would try to swap the whole unit out
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:To convert the maf I'd need the motronic 1.3 but i might not do the war chip as I'll probabky keep the engine stock. Which brand coilovers did you go for? As for the speedo the only gauge not working is rpm but when we opened it up some repairs had been done to the board and parts of the housing are cracked so would try to swap the whole unit out
Its better to go WAR chip to fully unlock the gains from the MAF, i currently have a Dinan chip and the gains only come at the end of the rev range.

I got Nex coilovers
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:If you want, you can use my shipper that i use to get muscle cars and parts from the states. Deliver it to his warehouse and 45 days later infront of you and payment upon receiving.
If you can pm me details of your shipper that would be great.

Also if anyone has an account on mye28 or knows any of the moderators there I tried to register on the forum to source some parts but got a 403 forbidden message and sent an email to the webmaster but that failed to deliver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote:If you want, you can use my shipper that i use to get muscle cars and parts from the states. Deliver it to his warehouse and 45 days later infront of you and payment upon receiving.
If you can pm me details of your shipper that would be great.

Also if anyone has an account on mye28 or knows any of the moderators there I tried to register on the forum to source some parts but got a 403 forbidden message and sent an email to the webmaster but that failed to deliver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sending PM
What do you need from my28?
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote: Sending PM
Meant mye28.com
http://www.mye28.com
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:
Meant mye28.com
I know, what do you need?
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
Desert635 wrote:
Meant mye28.com
I know, what do you need?
Misread thought you said what do you mean not need.

There's a member named south26 i wanted to contact as he's parting out a 535 and might get the parts for the manual swap from him

Thanks
1987 635CSI Japan Spec