4.4 V8 e24?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Iainwr

4.4 V8 e24?

Post by Iainwr »

I was having a chat t'other day about engine replacements for the old M30 Traktion-Panzer.
I was told that the M30 weighs approx. 85 kilos, and that the V8 from the e39(?) is only around 65 kilos.
Has anyone done/seen a conversion?
Cheers,
Iain
'99 Subaru Impreza STi-spec Sportwagon
'95 Audi S2 Avant
'86 635 CSi Manual
'86 M6
'80 Aston Martin Vantage 5.7
540i

Post by 540i »

Unless your kilos are different than mine, those seem like very light numbers.

But from what I have heard, the M30 and M62 are similar in weights. Not sure of any who have done the swap into a 6er, but the M62 is a tall and wide engine. In fact, it is the largest (physical dimension wise) V8 gas engine I have ever seen -at the same time being among the lowest displacement. Thanks to the Vanos and DOHC configuration, the valve covers are enormous and the intake manifold sticks up quite a ways. In many ways it is a gorgeous engine, and thankfully BMW didn't hide it with tons of plastic, just a small intake manifold cover.

I would love an M62 in my sixer. They have a very nice exotic sound at wide open throttle, although I find the idle sound to be weak and almost V6-ish.

I'd be worried about it fitting because of the height. A 5 series hood is almost a clamshell shape to fit the engine, while a sixer's is long and flat.

Maybe that is why people do the M70 V12 swap in a sixer instead? Also, if you are looking at junk yards swaps, a popular e39 mod is to replace their tired 290HP M62 with a 350ish HP M62 from an X5. This model is the M62B46 which is rated at 342HP, and found in the 2001 X5 and 1997-2002 Alpina B10.

For those in the States -and I know this is borderline heresy- a few have dropped in 400hp+ naturally aspirated LS series engines into their e39. They do this for pennies on the dollar of what it would cost for a built M70 or built S62 swap. I also have a feeling an LS series engine would fit inside a sixer easier than the M62 as well.
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

I have said this ad naseum and I'll say it again: Turbocharging the M30 is the best way to get v8 (or v12 power).

540i wrote:I also have a feeling an LS series engine would fit inside a sixer easier than the M62 as well.
Ed Raether is just about done with his LS1 conversion in his M6
Iainwr

Post by Iainwr »

Fritzs Bits in Devon have offered to do a V8 conversion. They're actually in the process of doing just that for another customer.
Apparantly it's a bit of a headache, although that might be due to the twin superchargers strapped to it!
737 bhp!!
I wonder if it's someone from this forum?
'99 Subaru Impreza STi-spec Sportwagon
'95 Audi S2 Avant
'86 635 CSi Manual
'86 M6
'80 Aston Martin Vantage 5.7
540i

Post by 540i »

Ed Raether is just about done with his LS1 conversion in his M6

Think he'd part with his M88? :-)
ZROSSA

Post by ZROSSA »

I do love the big six in my 635 and probably wouldnt swap it for anything else. I have done a v8 swap in my datsun 260z. With aluminum heads its lighter the the original 6. The datsun six is also significantly lighter then the m30 as well.

The point I mean to get to is even the old school chev will be lighter and have far more naturally asperated power potensial then the six and probably much better then the bmw v8 as well. the one in my zed make 515 hp at the crank, all below 6500 rpm. Pretty good bang for the buck!

Douglas
GRNSHRK Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ed's "extra" engine

Post by GRNSHRK »

Think he'd part with his M88?
The engine he has (had?) is an S38, US version :?

And one of the reasons that he proceeded with this project in the first place is that the original engine had low compression or something like that, in one or more cylinders :roll:

But ping him though, ya never know :shock:

BTW George, I haven't talked to Ed lately, curious how you know he's getting "close" :wink:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
The Sixer Kid

Re: Ed's "extra" engine

Post by The Sixer Kid »

GRNSHRK wrote: BTW George, I haven't talked to Ed lately, curious how you know he's getting "close" :wink:
Hey Bobbo, ever since the meeting at Scotts place I've kept in contact with Ed. I know he doesn't post too regularly but his knowledge with this car is unbelievable. He makes me look like a down right novice.

Anyway, I believe his problem right now is with SMOG. To get the engine to fit correctly, he needed to fabricate his own headers (which are in a very confined space). Aftermarket headers require SMOG certification to become legal. I believe he is somewhere at a crossroads with this.

Maybe he will chime in with a more detailed report.
Rob-

Post by Rob- »

ZROSSA wrote:I do love the big six in my 635 and probably wouldnt swap it for anything else. I have done a v8 swap in my datsun 260z. With aluminum heads its lighter the the original 6. The datsun six is also significantly lighter then the m30 as well.

The point I mean to get to is even the old school chev will be lighter and have far more naturally asperated power potensial then the six and probably much better then the bmw v8 as well. the one in my zed make 515 hp at the crank, all below 6500 rpm. Pretty good bang for the buck!

Douglas
god i love those old datsuns, never had done the V8 swap though, that was my dream before my buddy crashed her... he came out unscratched, luckily..
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Just for the record the M30B35 engine weighs 212kg and the M60B40 weighs 210kg. These figures are from the BMW Publication 'The History of Engines - Engines that Made History 1945-2000)'.
MWrench

Post by MWrench »

I am here guys, been VERY busy lately updating my RV (I know, I know it isn't the M6) for the next road racing I am working at the beginning of August.

I have the entire rear end out of the M6 now doing the camber adjusters and toe adjusters. I am also adapting the E31 rear diff cover as this cover has two ears and will take a lot of torque load off the subframe. I am replacing the dogbones and replacing the trailing arm bushings with E34 M5 "slide bearings". they are pricey but very well worth the cost, it removes all the fore/aft compliance of the the bushings and keeps the trailing arms where they are supposed to be. Beefing up the sway bar attach point and revising the fuel tank and breather system to be OBD II compliant, and I should be able to put the LS6 engine back in the final time.

The S38 engine is still here and is for sale. It has 160K miles on it and has a low hole ~90 lbs. PM me if anyone is interested. No shipment, must be picked up.

Bobbo, call me and we could get together--
JoeCoolinATL

Post by JoeCoolinATL »

MWrench wrote:I am also adapting the E31 rear diff cover as this cover has two ears and will take a lot of torque load off the subframe.

I am replacing the dogbones and replacing the trailing arm bushings with E34 M5 "slide bearings". they are pricey but very well worth the cost, it removes all the fore/aft compliance of the the bushings and keeps the trailing arms where they are supposed to be.

I know this is an old thread, but -
mwrench-
did you adapt the e31 diff cover to the e24? if so what did you connect the "ears" to?

also- anyone feel free to answer, what are the e34 M5 "slide bearings"? and how are they diff from the regular RTABs?
GRNSHRK Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe, may I suggest . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...contacting Ed (MWrench) directly, as it's doubtful that he's trolling the board these days :-?

[email protected]

And tell him that ole Bobbo says hi :wink:

Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black