AMETECH "ENGINE RESTORE"

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

horsetan

AMETECH "ENGINE RESTORE"

Post by horsetan »

Anyone used this stuff before?

If you did, what happened :?:
bfons

Post by bfons »

I bought my 1990 525 with close to 200K miles. The PO advertisied it as "oil changed with synthetic and Restore every 3500 miles"

I have to say that for a car with 200K miles plus now, the compression is still there. I have never done a compression test but maybe I should as it has never had a top end rebuild.

I cannot say whether it was the Restore or not but I have continued to use it every other oil change.
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Interesting, thanks Brian.

I have someone in the oil supply industry here who is going to do a chemical analysis of the stuff and attempt to prove to me that it either does not work, or will do damage to my engine.....
Kaotiq635

Post by Kaotiq635 »

I've always been skeptical of the claims made for these additives.

Known a few people in the oil industry over the years and they always argued that if there was a way to improve the quality of the product they make to give them an edge over the other manufacturers they would do it, particularly if they could do it and improve their margins at the same time.

I strongly suspect the oil companies have done serious analysis of these additives and they know what they are and what the effects of them are.

YMMV,
Iain.
bfons

Post by bfons »

horsetan wrote:Interesting, thanks Brian.

I have someone in the oil supply industry here who is going to do a chemical analysis of the stuff and attempt to prove to me that it either does not work, or will do damage to my engine.....
Please keep us posted. It's very thick and blue in color btw.
Brian

-----------------------
AnalogReigns

Post by AnalogReigns »

I use Restore religiously. On my old Acura it was the only thing that quieted the (typical) flaw of clattering lifters. No other thickener or additive did a thing. If you search on Acura threads you will see others with the same experience with this (one) product.

With my 231K BMW shark, I think it helps too. It's a metal emulsion (copper, silver, lead, I believe) not plastic as in Slick 50 and other additives. That and Castrol Syntech keeps her going, IMHO.

I had the valves adjusted a 3000 miles ago, and the comment of the technician was the car shows "excellent oil service," i.e. clean as a whistle inside.

With the cruise control set at 60 MPH, she gets over 30 mpg too.
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

30 mpg? damn i struggle to break 20 ( i know ive got a heavy right foot, but 30 mpg is pretty freakin amazing)
bfons

Post by bfons »

horsetan wrote:Interesting, thanks Brian.

Ivan,

Any update on this. Inquiring minds want to know.
Brian

-----------------------
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Definitely!!!!!!

Come on Ivan 'oil' chap, 'spill' the beans..... :lol: :wink:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

I sent it off after the New Year, and the feckin' Royal Mail sent it back to me!

I'm sending it again tomorrow, this time omitting my return address in the hope that they'll get the idea of where it should be going :(
dm635

Post by dm635 »

AnalogReigns wrote:I use Restore religiously. On my old Acura it was the only thing that quieted the (typical) flaw of clattering lifters. No other thickener or additive did a thing. If you search on Acura threads you will see others with the same experience with this (one) product.

With my 231K BMW shark, I think it helps too. It's a metal emulsion (copper, silver, lead, I believe) not plastic as in Slick 50 and other additives. That and Castrol Syntech keeps her going, IMHO.

I had the valves adjusted a 3000 miles ago, and the comment of the technician was the car shows "excellent oil service," i.e. clean as a whistle inside.

With the cruise control set at 60 MPH, she gets over 30 mpg too.
not 6 related.this may be what my other car needs(960 volvo wagon),the lifters are notorious for noise.i don't like using additives,but if it works,i'll give it try.worried about clogging small passages,especially lifters.
Past:
84-318i, 85-318i, 85-635 CSi, 86-635 CSi

Current:
87-635 CSi
GLTHEURO

Post by GLTHEURO »

So is the consensus that this stuff is worth putting in your car? Will it damage it?
evergladesbob

Post by evergladesbob »

I have used Restore in all my older vehicles. It will not help new cars.
It works but takes about 40 to 60 miles before you can feel it. Check your RPMs The same speed can be acheived at lower revs. You can feel the power increase. I have noticed no long term effects except the motors seem happier.
DriveOn
dblrifle

Post by dblrifle »

After reading this thread I looked for and found some Restore. I put one can in my 85 635 last weekend. My engine has 98K showing but I believe it has about 150K as PO changed the cluster and speedo. I come to this conclusion from Carfax reported mileage. After 4 days and about 250 miles I can conclusivly say the RPM's required to maintain 60mph on level road is 200rpm lower. Engine is quieter but that's a subjective evaluation as is the feel that the motor spins up FREERER than before. The lower RPM is fact unless someone can give me an explanation. I found an absolutely straight flat 5 mile stretch of road and drove an indicated 60mph and did this both before and after adding Restore. RPM's were lower after. I will continue to use it at every oil change till I hear some other facts. I will report back after next oil change. I run straight 20w50 motor oil year round here in So. Arizona.
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

dblrifle wrote:After reading this thread I looked for and found some Restore. I put one can in my 85 635 last weekend. My engine has 98K showing but I believe it has about 150K as PO changed the cluster and speedo. I come to this conclusion from Carfax reported mileage. After 4 days and about 250 miles I can conclusivly say the RPM's required to maintain 60mph on level road is 200rpm lower. Engine is quieter but that's a subjective evaluation as is the feel that the motor spins up FREERER than before. The lower RPM is fact unless someone can give me an explanation. I found an absolutely straight flat 5 mile stretch of road and drove an indicated 60mph and did this both before and after adding Restore. RPM's were lower after. I will continue to use it at every oil change till I hear some other facts. I will report back after next oil change. I run straight 20w50 motor oil year round here in So. Arizona.
I just don't understand this "engine speed lower at road same road speed" claim. I'm not saying it's not true, but I don't understand it. Is the relationship between engine speed and road speed not fixed and governed by the gearing?
GLTHEURO

Post by GLTHEURO »

Engine speed and road speed are directly related at all speeds. The rpm's are translated by the tranny, rear end and finally the size of the tires to translate to road speed.

BULLSHIT!!!!!

I do believe that this agent works well to restore some engine power though. I'll have to buy a can!
dblrifle

Post by dblrifle »

I am merely reporting what I have observed. As I said I don't understand it and if someone could explain it please do. Until then i will use it and see what happens with mileage. I just was intrigued by the posting and decided to try my own test unscientific as it may be those are MY observations.
GLTHEURO

Post by GLTHEURO »

Sorry man. I was in a bad mood but you can't go the same speed at a lower rpm. It defies the mechanics of an automobile.

I do agree that this mixture made the car run much smoother though.
ghostinhere13

Post by ghostinhere13 »

i have to agree with some of the posts on here. i poured one of the '6 cylinder cans' in my engine with my last oil change (because of this post, i might add) and i significantly noticed a difference in my car's performance. my engine was acting very tired and had a difficult time operating in the higher rpm range. it seems now, that it is a lot more willing to do 6 grand on the rpm tach than it was before. my car runs well all the time now, not just when it's cold. which used to be the only time it would squeal tires :D i dont know anything about the lower rpms at same speed business, i havent noticed a change in that area. my engine however is much quieter, and accelerates faster. oh.. my engine has somewhere over 202,000 miles on it. the odometer stopped working before i purchased the car. and it was at 202 when i got ahold of it.
UKDaveJ

Hmm, this is getting interesting!

Post by UKDaveJ »

This is quite intriguing!

Quieter because of a higher overall oil viscosity??

How more performance, what is the science behind it that can cause these benefits & also, what are the negatives?? :shock:
GLTHEURO

Post by GLTHEURO »

I believe that this product works by resoring the cylinder wall surface as well as the piston rings allowing for a better compression with less blow by. The material also allows the pistons to slide up and down more easily in the cylinders.

This is what I believe to be the case. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

that is what they claim.... thing is no-one has ever published independent scientific (lab style) tests for this stuff, if anyone knows any different please post a link or something, we all want to know....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Brucey wrote:that is what they claim.... thing is no-one has ever published independent scientific (lab style) tests for this stuff, if anyone knows any different please post a link or something, we all want to know....

cheers
Fancy doing a scientific test Brucey?

Perhaps a few of us in the UK could do some less scientific testing as well?

Anyone up for it?
GLTHEURO

Post by GLTHEURO »

I'm not in the UK, but I will do it. Tell me when.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-seems there has already been lots of unscientific testing... if your engine is a bit poor (for an unknown reason) you put this stuff in, and it either does nothing, you think it does something, or it genuinely does something (assuming it doesn't actually do harm) and hey presto even if it is useless you will have some people who will say that it has done wonders (rightly or wrongly)....

This stuff might be wonderful for all I know, but until the testing gets out of the whole area of apochrypha and into the area of science I shall take any claims made for it with a pinch of salt. After all, there are people who swear blind they have been abducted by aliens, seen real little green men, etc etc etc and have yet to produce any real evidence; no-one much believes them but we are meant to believe equally unsubstantiated claims regarding something that could easily be properly and scientifically tested.....

makes you think, eh......

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~