ANYONE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BORN2RUN

ANYONE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM?

Post by BORN2RUN »

On my '88 there are two orange colored connectors (they look like fuse holders, approx. 4") near the top of each fender well inside the engine compartment. These are connected to two smaller orange boxes and make up the SRS (airbag) wiring system.

My connectors are brittle and practically falling apart. The dealership says you have to buy the pricey SRS wiring loom (it plugs into the control unit under the dash).

But all I want to do is replace the connectors.

Does anyone know of a source for these connectors??
JCS

Pluse generators

Post by JCS »

I believe that they are connectors for the ABS pulse generators located at each wheel. The part # is 34521179981

I had to replace mine, the outside black rubber insulation rotted away, the new ones use a better rubber.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/produc ... 33-1606249,

This may not be it, show us a picture.
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

NOPE, NOT IT. I'LL POST PIX LATER...
demet

Re: ANYONE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM?

Post by demet »

BORN2RUN wrote:On my '88 there are two orange colored connectors (they look like fuse holders, approx. 4") near the top of each fender well inside the engine compartment. These are connected to two smaller orange boxes and make up the SRS (airbag) wiring system.

My connectors are brittle and practically falling apart. The dealership says you have to buy the pricey SRS wiring loom (it plugs into the control unit under the dash).

Those are for the air bag. I had the same problem and just cut the wires and spliced them directly into the existing SRS harness. Not sure if I can recommend that approach to anyone else though. If the SRS light is on you will need to reset it but I think the dealer is the only place to do that.

I have a couple of used crash sensors from an 89 e34 with good connectors if you're interested.
chicane

Re: ANYONE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM?

Post by chicane »

BORN2RUN wrote:On my '88 there are two orange colored connectors (they look like fuse holders, approx. 4") near the top of each fender well inside the engine compartment. These are connected to two smaller orange boxes and make up the SRS (airbag) wiring system.

YES! I have the exact same problem they are plugs for the airbag system.
I was thing about making a mold for them and possibly making replacements because you cannot buy these covers anywhere.
88 635csi Highline Lux Biege
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

Exactly.

I had to tape mine together or risk them totally disintegrating.

Sure;y there's anther connector that could be spliced in place of these, so long as it has the same number of pins/blades.

I found 2 in a junked car and they were in worse shape.

If you can fabricate these, I'll buy 2!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Tom, you should be using the BMW websites for most of your parts.
Bavauto.com; autopartswarehouse.com; azautohaus.com pelicanparts.com.
There are acoupla more I never can remember at the right time, but this is a good start. I never recommend the 'stealership', but, I just bought a window switch for $50 'cause no one else had them. It doesn't make sense to me to buy used electrical stuff either, but, that's just me. Sometimes newer parts are found. :o
Good Luck,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

I agree. The dealer part no for this is 61-12-1-386-309 but it comes as the complete airbag wiring that routes to the glove box. The price is $231.19.
Not crazy expensive but I was hoping to replace the 2-pin connectors.
Attachments
bimmer1.jpg
bimmer1.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
bimmer1.jpg
bimmer1.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Again Tom, check the websites. I've also found that even if online says NLA, if you speak to a person at the website #, it might be found. Weird, huh?
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

the connector looks very similar to the ABS ones. Does it have the same number of pins? I wonder if you could splice one of those into the harness?

-just a thought....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

You're right. Upon further inspection, the appear to be the same. So my assumption is both are 2-pin connectors. But mine are so brittle, I don't want to take a chance on disconnecting them.

Thanks all for the advice.

My search continues...