Car I did not buy today...

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

francoid

Car I did not buy today...

Post by francoid »

Today I went to look at an E24 http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5750041626.html. It looked like a good idea in the first place, '87 in Red which matched one of my cars, so possibility of having a donor car eventually, etc. It's funny how pictures can look better than reality...
That car looks very tired. Engine is still decent, and very little rust (apart from under the windshield on both sides) but for the rest... In addition to a handful of significant dings, tail light bezels that need to be thrown away, rear bumper rubber separating, lacking front spoiler, the clutch was almost dead (at least master and slave), no steering assist and no brake assist. Odometer stuck (and probably way under reality). Warning light on for coolant (could be a range of things including wrong cap on tank). AC not operative. Lots of other little issues...
Altogether that was an interesting test drive ;)
Too much work for me, and my wife will kill me if I bring in another project or donor car.
By the way, I was pretty sure an '87 car would have painted side mirrors, but it has the chrome ones. Thoughts?