Replacement battery pack for cordless power tool

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Replacement battery pack for cordless power tool

Post by GRNSHRK »

Gents, I realize that this battery pack is from an old sabre (jig) saw, but i'd still like to see if I can find a replacement rechargeable battery pack for it [-o<

Totals 9.6 VDC, so each cell would be putting out 1.2 VDC, 8 total :-?

I'm thinking that the cost of a battery pack like this would cost more than a replacement saw itself, but I hate tossing things that can be fixed, especially tools :roll:

Should I just bin it and get a new one :-k

After all, Christmas is coming \:D/
Attachments
Battery pack.jpg
Battery pack.jpg (719.92 KiB) Viewed 6769 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Replacement battery pack for cordless power tool

Post by Da_Hose »

Hey Bobbo,

Yes, it will be most efficient to just buy a new tool. However ...... with no BMS and just being welded together, those look like basic NiCD cells. You can buy them cheap with metal tabs already on them. Then you just solder them and wrap with some heat shrink, or Kapton tape.

I say that if the saw is a favorite tool, it's worth the effort to buy a few cheap batteries and give it new life.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

It's pretty vintage you'd probably end up spending around $30-40 bucks. Maybe time for a new one ($50-100). You can borrow mine (not cordless) if you need.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

1.2v nicads are about $1.50 each if you want to DIY it. Check with Battery Source and they may have a ready-made pack for it. They have a huge inventory of oddball battery packs.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks gents, will check out the battery source [-o<

BTW, this was not my favorite tool or saw, but it was handy when I needed it, being cordless, until the last time :-({|=
Bobbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Gents, I wanted to follow up on yet another project that I had going, I wasn't going to give up on finding a replacement battery pack for this saw very easily [-X

So I tried Ken's suggestion, the Battery Source, apparently they are popular in his neck of the woods, AL and the southeast :-?

However, while that was a dry hole, my Google search turned up a few others, and I got a decent response from a place in MI called the Complete Battery Source. They requested a few photos, gave me a quote, it arrived yesterday and I now have a working rechargeable jig saw again \:D/

Sure, it cost a few beans and "may" not be worth it, but I simply wasn't going to bin this tool without giving a decent attempt at getting it working again =D>

Here's a shot of the replacement battery pack, installed and charging as we speak, although it already works :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG (512.49 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Bobbo
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Glad you got a replacement!

I have almost completely switched to battery powered tools. I still have a ton of corded and even more air powered tools, but I bought a 3/8" cordless ratchet wrench about 2 years ago, and was so impressed with it I have since bought a 1/2" impact gun, a 4" side grinder, a weed eater, 3/8" reversible drill, a 14" chain saw, and a 6.5" circular saw. All but the impact gun run on the same 'family' of batteries. They all work just as well as their corded or gas powered counterparts, with none of the hassles of dragging a cord and finding a place to plug it in, or cranking a contrary small two-stroke engine, never mind trying to carry an air compressor to power the air tools! Battery technology and battery powered tools have come a long way in the last few years.
Ken Kanne
knunger

Post by knunger »

Sorry if I am sort of highjacking this thread, but I couldn't resist...

I received my first modern cordless when my daughter bought me a DeWalt flashlight with the 20vMax battery system. I love it, the battery lasts forever and it is bright as hell.

The second, another gift from my son this time, a Milwaukee drill using the 12max battery system.

Since then I have bought:
DeWalt string trimmer, chain saw and 1/2" impact wrench
Milwaukee 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet, and a 'Hackzall" (what a blessing this beauty is - a 100ft power cord didn't quite reach the far corners of my property and it is a game-changer when camping).

I have a spare battery for each system and have never run out of juice.

I tried to sell the corded tools on Craigslist but got nothing but scammers offering to pay with a cashier's check. SO, they got donated to Goodwill...
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

I'm in the cordless camp as well. All of mine are Ridgid to minimize battery types as well as for the lifetime warranty. The impact wrench makes taking off wheels easy, and not having cords is a godsend when doing other projects. I gave away my dad's air compressor and tools to someone who would use them since I knew I wouldn't.

I have a handful of corded ones, my old Made in USA ones I bought years ago or inherited from my dad that I simply can't part with, an el. cheapo harbor Freight grinder I bought for a one off job and some air staplers/nailers for home projects. I recently dug out my Sun timing light that I hadn't used since the late 80's now that I have a Shark. Somewheres I have an old plug into the diagnostic connector tach/ dwell / starter button meter I bought to use on my 77 320i years ago...
85 635CSi Bronzit
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

While cordless is attractive from a functional perspective, there is no assurance when the batteries no longer retain a charge that you would find a first quality or OEM replacement. I've tried professional rebuilders but the cells don't seem to be as good as the OEM.
Luckily the 120v 3 prong plug isn't going away.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

I do have a few other cordless tools, 2 drill drivers mainly :-"

The Sear's/Craftsman 19.2V is a brut =D>

But I also have a battery powered lawnmower and chainsaw, both from Ego and use a 56V battery #-o

The lawnmower can go for like an hour, even has headlights \:D/

Although I'm not sure who cuts their grass at night :-?

Alas, after moving a year ago and having retired, I now employ a yard service :roll:
Bobbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Rigid is Home Depot's brand but is an old company dating back to the year1 that they bought out. It is top quality and what makes it super is not only life time warranty, but the batteries forever and if they dump, just take them into a store and they will swap them out. Just make sure you register the tool when you buy it.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

bpoliakoff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:02 pm Rigid is Home Depot's brand but is an old company dating back to the year1 that they bought out. It is top quality and what makes it super is not only life time warranty, but the batteries forever and if they dump, just take them into a store and they will swap them out. Just make sure you register the tool when you buy it.
I'll second the Rigid recommendation. Working in power plants, the Ridgid Tools calendars were everywhere; though I was partial to Pirelli.

Just bought an 16G 18V finishing nailer, after my Porter Cable one died, for a wood floor project. Lot's more convenient than pulling out my compressor and dragging it upstairs in the house. Can't beat their warranty, though not all tools offer lifetime warranty even if registered. I'm surprised DeWalt or Kobalt haven't done the same.

I still have my 60's and 870's vintage corded tools from my dad and my youth but they rarely used; I keep them mostly for the nostalgic "Made in USA" look. Hard to beat the old cast aluminum casings, etc. Still have a Sun Timing light I used on my 77 320i.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I bought into the Ryobi1 tool family at least 15 years ago. I couldn't justify the cost of Makita or DeWalt, so the original, blue NiCd powered tools (drill, impact drill, circular saw) were a stopgap solution. Then Ryobi put out the green, LiON battery powered units, which were WAY more powerful, but could still use the old NiCD batteries. I hunted down schematics, and discovered that the internals were identical between NiDC/LiON tools. So I decided I would just get LiON batteries so mine would be way more powerful. I ended up buying a new drill/impact drill set on sale, because that was the cheapest way to get two batteries and a charger! Plus the new drill could fit up to 1/2" bits.

I have been waiting 15 years for those "cheap" Ryobi tools to break, but they refuse to give up the ghost, no matter how hard I use them. Granted, I take care of my tools, and don't earn a living with them. Bottom line, the value I've gotten from my original NiCD Ryobi tools has been way beyond what I could expect. Now I'm eyeballing an angle grinder, and small blower for my garage/shop use. They got me HOOKED!!!!

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

It wasn't a cordless tool, but we had (and they presumably still have) a Ryobi 3/8" variable speed reversible drill at the machine shop where I worked for almost 26 years. It was used when we got it (boss bought out a machine shop) and we used, and I mean USED THE HECK OUT OF that drill for 26 years. We never had to replace the VS switch, the brushes, or even the power cord. Dangdest thing I ever saw. We wore out milling machines but couldn't kill that drill motor. Thanks to that I'm a fan of Ryobi power tools.
Ken Kanne