Diving into an '88 M6

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Griphish

Diving into an '88 M6

Post by Griphish »

Hi everyone!

In a few days I'll be picking up my 1988 E24 M6. The car was originally bought by my wife's uncle in the early 90s. He's barely driven it and at this point it has 74k miles.
On Thursday I'm flying out to Oklahoma to pick up the car and bring it back to North Carolina. For the last 7-8 years he has had the car locked away in storage and hasn't started it at all so needless to say we will be trailering it back here.

I'm super excited to dig into the car. I've been lurking here for the last month or so and I love seeing what y'all are up to with your cars. I've already bought some parts that I'm sure I'll have to replace based on some posts here. Things like plugs, wires, and cooling system parts, etc. I'm sure I'll find I'm missing a ton of stuff though haha.

I want to thank everyone here for sharing. I've already learned so much from the posts here. If there is any advice you could give to someone new to E24s it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

IMG_20201123_141043.jpg
IMG_20201123_141043.jpg (386.58 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Diving into an '88 M6

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome to the insanity! You'll have what I consider the best color for an E24. Very, very nice!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GAflyer

Post by GAflyer »

Welcome :D

There is indeed a wealth of information and wisdom here, and many members also read and post to the E24 area on Bimmerforums. I have learned a great deal in both places, and I rarely dig into any M6 project or repair until I've read every relevant thing I can find on one or usually both forums. Yours looks like a beautiful example with very reasonable mileage. When the car is safely home and you've had a good chance to inspect it, I suspect you'll start spotting things you want to address.

A couple annual events to look forward to are Southeast Sharkfest, a gathering of BMW coupes which is held in the spring at sites around the SE US, and The Vintage, featuring all sorts of older BMWs, usually near Asheville (this past year excepted due to...well, you know...). Plan to go the first chance you get. Lots of great cars and friendly owners.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Welch

1988 M6 Black/ Lotus
2000 528i Orient Blue/ Tan
1981 911SC Targa Wine Red/ Gray
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Good luck with your new acquisition! The best advice I can give you with such a collectible E24 is to keep it as original as possible.

One thing to look out for is that sometimes the wiper motor freezes on a stored car and it is possible to knock the wiper stalk when attempting to start the engine, without realising. This only becomes apparent when the wiper motor starts to smoke!

Let us know how you get on when you get it home.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Welcome, being second owner is nice and also who was the original owner. Keeping it as original as possible will fetch you big bucks in the coming years.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Nice get! Definitely keep it clean if it's all original. You are also in THE right place to get help keeping her happy.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car