President Donald J Trump makes history...

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: President Donald J Trump makes history...

Post by CSGuy »

Jlc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:55 pm
CSGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm Agreed, presidents don't control prices when it comes to nickles and pennies but their policies do influence direction
True.
Actually, the Fed tries to control inflation around 2%. It will be interesting to see how things play out once there is some sembelance of a normal economy. High demand and short supply of things like cars, cotton have driven up prices; once supply chains return to normal we should see some easing.
The fed is the equivalent of a house painter, they paint the policy pig and to that point inflation under biden has reached levels not seen since jimmy carter. Supply chain, I won't speak for the rest of the country but in california, a governer with something on his mind beyond his hair and programing the state's children should be able to come up with a workable solution. As for a recovering economy, biden seems to be doing all he can to prevent or slow the recovery. Note bidens failure to meet employment targets for the last 2 months
Interestingly, inflation was rising under trump until the pandemic hit.
Rising but in a controlled manner, not the 1970's manner that bidens policies have brought us

If you're talking about the guy in Glendale he was arrested for spitting on and threatening people.
Glendale is way farther than a jog to the beach. Arrests included a couple of surfers, a kayaker, and lifeguards landed a boat on the beach at Santa Monica to arrest a jogger.

Yea, Florida can be pretty bad.
Funny, but I was thinking more along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hahONQZNjMU
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

sharkfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:09 am
CSGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm
Your saying those things didn't happen, I'm suggesting you get out more because they did and they happened in a state been under blue rule for many years

So yes, it is a factual answer. I can't help it that you don't like
So those two things on their own make it a 'liberal shithole'?

May I suggest you get more and see what the rest of the country and the world is like.
You must have missed the "keep it simple" part of my statement. However, given the shape London's in, I can see you viewing those things as minor.
What I disagree with is your willingness to accept them as normal.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

CSGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm The fed is the equivalent of a house painter, they paint the policy pig and to that point inflation
The control the money supply and since Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon they have some good levers to control it.
under biden has reached levels not seen since jimmy carter.
Actually, the Fed's estimate of 4.2% for the year is less during the GHW Bush high points. We'll have to see how accurate the Fed's 2.2 for 2022 estimate is. Frankly, if we can be reccovered by 2022 and keep inflation at or near the Fed target of 2% the economy will be doing well.
Supply chain, I won't speak for the rest of the country but in california, a governer with something on his mind beyond his hair and programing the state's children should be able to come up with a workable solution.
You can't magically create new ports and truck drivers.
As for a recovering economy, biden seems to be doing all he can to prevent or slow the recovery.
How so?
Note bidens failure to meet employment targets for the last 2 monthst.
Well, trump had the worse job loss since Herbert Hoover.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

CSGuy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:01 pm]
However, given the shape London's in, I can see you viewing those things as minor.

Why do you have to have a dig at London? It was in a pretty good state when I went up there for lunch and a few drinks last month :wink:
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

Pod wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:16 pm
However, given the shape London's in, I can see you viewing those things as minor.

Why do you have to have a dig at London? It was in a pretty good state when I went up there for lunch and a few drinks last month :wink:
bit of a double standard eh.....And apparently not all londoner's fell the same

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Health/Wir ... x9_992.jpg
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

CSGuy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm

bit of a double standard eh.....And apparently not all londoner's feel the same about the ability to have a few drinks [-X

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

How do you know that is a photograph taken in London?
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

Pod wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:39 pm

How do you know that is a photograph taken in London?
ABC said it was. Are you saying they lied?
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I doubt if any news organisation would let the whole truth get in the way of a good story :-?
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Pod wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:15 pm
I doubt if any news organisation would let the whole truth get in the way of a good story :-?
This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
85 635CSi Bronzit
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

You two are starting to sound Deplorable :-P
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

CSGuy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 pm You two are starting to sound Deplorable :-P

Only starting.............................. :-"
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

sky-high-gas.jpg
sky-high-gas.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

FUCK PUTIN

Any photoshop experts please contact me. I have a project for you.

Mods, please let me know if that’s inappropriate. Thank you very much

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Well, we're "supposed" to let it fly in the saloon :-"

Not to worry, I keep an eye on every post :roll:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

laundry.jpg
laundry.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

econo.jpg
econo.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Not really - other pipelines are being built and there is plenty of capacity to carry the expected increase in oil from Canada. Keystone XL would have shortened the route and increased capacity by about 1/2 for the pipeline but its cancellation will not really impact oil import capacity from Canada. In addition, we'll still be able to export oil to Canada as well.
85 635CSi Bronzit
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Jlc wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:51 pm Not really - other pipelines are being built and there is plenty of capacity to carry the expected increase in oil from Canada. Keystone XL would have shortened the route and increased capacity by about 1/2 for the pipeline but its cancellation will not really impact oil import capacity from Canada. In addition, we'll still be able to export oil to Canada as well.
Yeah right
AAVd8fV.jpg
AAVd8fV.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 2831 times
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

The problem is not US capacity, but that oil prices are determined globally. US firms could ramp up production but they no doubt remember tha last bom that went bust and it's hard to get the equipment needed to drill, so are happy taking the profits now and returning the money to shareholders instead of investing in capacity. Fortunately, Brent Crude price has dropped by ~30% off its high.

In 2021, the US exported more petroleum products than it imported.

Maybe we need another Covid wave to shut everything down and cause demand to drop like a rock again to bring prices down.
85 635CSi Bronzit
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

Jlc wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:51 pm Not really - other pipelines are being built and there is plenty of capacity to carry the expected increase in oil from Canada. Keystone XL would have shortened the route and increased capacity by about 1/2 for the pipeline but its cancellation will not really impact oil import capacity from Canada. In addition, we'll still be able to export oil to Canada as well.
If I understand you correctly, you're saying distribution costs have no impact on the price of the product.

and yes I realize keystone was never operational. In the case of the meme it's used as a lightning rod for the many roadblocks biden has put in front of the oil&gas industry
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

Jlc wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:34 pm
Joe-did-that-pump-sticker-feat.jpg
Joe-did-that-pump-sticker-feat.jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
The problem is not US capacity, but that oil prices are determined globally. US firms could ramp up production but they no doubt remember tha last bom that went bust and it's hard to get the equipment needed to drill, so are happy taking the profits now and returning the money to shareholders instead of investing in capacity. Fortunately, Brent Crude price has dropped by ~30% off its high.

In 2021, the US exported more petroleum products than it imported.

Maybe we need another Covid wave to shut everything down and cause demand to drop like a rock again to bring prices down.
you do realize biden enacted restrictions immediately after taking office that cut domestic oil production, as the recovery was starting to look up.

Now that biden's policies have given putin money to go war and American voter outrage is building at the prices and results his policies produced, he's reversing policy to increase production. Its the way of democratic politics, create a problem so it looks like you fixed it.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

CSGuy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:15 pm you do realize biden enacted restrictions immediately after taking office that cut domestic oil production, as the recovery was starting to look up.
TL;DR: It's a complicated issue with many causes, and there are explanations that are easy, simple and wrong.

You do realize that Biden approved over 30% more oil and gas leases in his first year than Trump? And that an oil and gas industry lawsuit over climate regulations put a halt to approvals until the legal situation is sorted out. The industry shot themselves in the foot there; even so things like manpower and material shortages limits the ability to increase production. It also takes time to go from a lease to oil, and when prices were low there was no incentive to drill, even now there is the question of how long before prices drop again and all of a sudden we have a lot of expensive wells that are marginally profitable? Investors like steady returns and right now it's smarter to hold down supply and grab the profits while you can. As one Exxon's CEO put it:

When asked about production targets for 2022 during a January earnings call, ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods responded, "The primary objectives we've had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we're producing."

As for distribution costs, they're already baked into the price because crude is shipped based on where it can be refined. Canadian heavy crude goes to the gulf since those refineries are deigned for it. The XL pipeline may have reduce some transport costs but it doesn't change the refinery landscape and thus not enough to make a difference at the pump; especially since the price of crude is the main determinant of gas prices, at over 50% and the other major components are taxes, refining, and marketting distribution, al at about 14%. Oddly enough, rail transport, even if it is more expensive, is often the preferred method because rail lines can take crude to virtually every refinery, giving producers more flexibility than a pipeline.

As for Putin, he's shopping discounted crude to India, who is very interested in it, as other markets are closed. Even so, transporting it their may yet prove to be the major stumbling block.
85 635CSi Bronzit
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

lol, let's do India first...Yes, they are buying discounted oil, so is China. Meanwhile, biden goes begging to have the US pay top dollar to countries that really don't like us and reportedly don't even answer his calls. Some would call that smart. Anyway, it's sad biden chooses to let Americans pay the prices of his foolish policies when US suppliers are more than capable of meeting the country's needs at a more reasonable price, providing the government allows it.

30% sounds impressive and it is considering he stopped all leases for the 9 months of his presidency and was still able to squeeze a 30% increase in the final 2 months of the year. That must have worked wonders for the oil companies and their need for stability.

As for costs, you say transportation costs are "baked: in, like that somehow makes those costs different than the oil companies knowing how much that gallon of gas they just sold you cost them to produce and deliver to the pump.

If that's the case, there must be a formula that prevents the 48% increase in oil leases that biden is forcing on the oil companies or bidens more than 7 fold increase in clean air act charges or the democrat sponsored bill to impose new methane reduction charges. They must all work wonders for the oil companies and their need for stability.

When you add in taxes paid at the pump, you really need to ask if the government makes more from oil than the producers that are taking the risk
and ask not how, but how much runaway regulatory costs add to the price you pay at the pump.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

CSGuy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:26 pm lol, let's do India first...Yes, they are buying discounted oil, so is China. Meanwhile, biden goes begging to have the US pay top dollar to countries that really don't like us and reportedly don't even answer his calls. Some would call that smart. Anyway, it's sad biden chooses to let Americans pay the prices of his foolish policies when US suppliers are more than capable of meeting the country's needs at a more reasonable price, providing the government allows it.
Right, we should reward the Russians for genocide. Got it.

30% sounds impressive and it is considering he stopped all leases for the 9 months of his presidency and was still able to squeeze a 30% increase in the final 2 months of the year. That must have worked wonders for the oil companies and their need for stability.
After the oil companies sued so they stopped issuing leases while the lawsuits played out? The oil companies opened fire on their foot with an automatic rifle.

Maybe Trump not issuing as many leases screwed up their stability? Not letting them drill off Florida, Ga , SC and the Gulf?
As for costs, you say transportation costs are "baked: in, like that somehow makes those costs different than the oil companies knowing how much that gallon of gas they just sold you cost them to produce and deliver to the pump.
They are part of the price already and are relatively constant, oil price is the big driver. Keystones XL would not have impacted prices that much, given it would have added less the 1% to world supplies and prices are set by worldwide demand and risk.
If that's the case, there must be a formula that prevents the 48% increase in oil leases that biden is forcing on the oil companies

Kinda nice the taxpayers are getting something and not give oil companies windfall profits from taxpayer owned land. Oh wait, what are the getting now?
or bidens more than 7 fold increase in clean air act charges or the democrat sponsored bill to impose new methane reduction charges. They must all work wonders for the oil companies and their need for stability.
Which is, IIRC, the subject of teh oil company's lawsuits that resulted in the lease moratorium.
When you add in taxes paid at the pump, you really need to ask if the government makes more from oil than the producers that are taking the risk
and ask not how, but how much runaway regulatory costs add to the price you pay at the pump.
Gas tax (Federal) is 18 cents per gallon. Oil companies make over $1 per gallon in profit. Even if you factor in state tax, oil companies make more profit per gallon than tax generates, so the answer to your question is, no the government doesn't make more from oil than the oil companies who produce the oil.

Facts matter.
85 635CSi Bronzit