'88 635 Manual Gearshifter Woes

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

spankey

'88 635 Manual Gearshifter Woes

Post by spankey »

Guys, just a quick informational post.

I recently picked up another 6'er. High mileage- 350k, with the 5 speed manual. After having rebuilt both my '85 M635 and '88 M5, I found an issue I hadn't seen before. Previous owner replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and faced the flywheel, so that's all in good order, and I've got another thread on issues with clutch engagement that were solved. Gearshifting was becoming a REAL pain, especially getting it into reverse, which it would sometimes not go into. Additionally, when in reverse, the gearshift would move around in circles, making all sorts of odd noises. I was fearful that I may have a dying gearbox.

I bought all the bits for rebuilding the gearshift linkages, and got under the car to do the work. I referenced the attached RealOEM image for orientation of the shifter linkages. I replaced parts, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=25_0071

As I was lying under the car, referencing the image, which showed part number 10, the linkage, with the bent end facing upwards, it dawned on me that this was VERY close to the Guibo. I tried swapping it around, so the bent elbow was facing downward, thus placing the linkage higher, and away from the Guibo, but in contradiction to the drawing. This was exactly what was needed, and now the shifter feels like it should from the Factory. The previous owner told me he'd had it like that for 100k plus, and it had come from the original owner like that.

Anyhow, just posting this, in case anyone else had that issue, and letting them know of the fix.