Need advice, Engine decision.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Austintatious

Need advice, Engine decision.

Post by Austintatious »

OK everyone. I would like some words of wisdom.

I am about to sell one of my Sharks. I am expecting it to bring some decent money.

My other shark, which I have had since I was 17 is an 83 euro spec. I have always wanted to put a metric mechanic turbo engine into it and have it wrapped with the X ray scheme.

Well, As I think about doing this, I can help but realize that this would be a 20k dollar project, between the engine, turbo system and wrap. Not to mention other things I might need to do. I COULD do it, but it is a lot of money.

So, I got to thinking, since my current engine runs pretty well, why not just spring for the turbo system, put it on this engine, run it till it is done and then get a MM engine down the road? This would let me learn about installing and setting up turbos and stand alone ECU systems and give me some time before shelling out 14k and doing an engine swap. I also already have a turbo manifold and oil cooler, so I could probably get a turbo system on the car for just a few thousand.

This engine is the higher CR version. I think 10:1. I did some looking online and I have seem some people turbo charging engines with this CR and seeing 400+ hp out of 2.5 L engines... So I think it is possible.

What do you guys think?
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Need advice, Engine decision.

Post by jps635 »

Ask this guy, read about his projects http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/memberlist.p ... le&u=14179.

He's built a couple turbo engines.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

My thoughts are to start with the latter for the reasons you stated I can't speak to the higher compression, but keeping the boost within reason I'd think you'll be fine. Others probably have more tech.

Mine has 170K on the clock and to my knowledge it has not been opened up. Reportedly the first owner had the Dinan stuff installed near new. I don't know how it was cared for before I got it. Probably could use a head refresh. Mine is US spec running 1 bar with a conservative tune.

I'd do the MM thing myself if I hit the lottery. I don't buy the tickets.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
N44RP

Post by N44RP »

I’m not familiar with anyone turbocharging the higher compression motors (just less of these motors in the US to begin with)

I’m curious to know what sort of tuning is required. I’ll message Todd Dehate and see what he says