"B35" starter purchase suggestions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"B35" starter purchase suggestions

Post by wattsmonkey »

Hi chaps,

I'm going to need another starter for the project car.

For me, it's a no-brainer to get the later, smaller, starter from the E34 /E32 M30B35 -engined cars.

Like all the bits, it's getting hard to find decent second hand parts and I am bewildered at the range of aftermarket stuff.

A remanufactured Bosch unit seems as much of a gamble as a new aftermarket one. Ebay's got a huge range, with names I recognise, like Borg & Beck and more that I don't

Any thoughts welcome!

Thank you,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: "B35" starter purchase suggestions

Post by bpoliakoff »

Rob in the states you can find them in parts houses a lot less than BMW So, keep looking. I am using a rebuilt that I paid about $135 for and am very pleased
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Definitely go for the smaller ,later e34 M30B starter it will allow you to keep the use of all your knuckles .
I just checked Ebay UK and there are several for not a lot of money .
I checked because I was coming to the conclusion that my starter had failed re that starting problem I spoke to you about but it turns out to be the ( Bosch ) battery .
I'm rather wary of the big well known brands now as I recently had to exchange another Bosch battery from my van that had failed after 11 months .
I still have that boat anchor of an OE starter that I removed from mine and am certain it is in perfect working order as it was the battery that was faulty then too ..... :roll:
You can have it if you want it .
Attachments
20141008_114524.jpg
20141008_114524.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 553 times
1981 635 series 1
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Thank you both for setting me straight on this.

Don - thank you, but I think the B35 way is now the only way! Could you send me the details of the one you bought?

Thanks again,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess