" Auric " the odyssey ........

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

olympia57 wrote:Thanks for your kind comments lads .
Can't help you with the source of the mats Ken as they were in the car when I bought it needing only a good clean to get them as new again. I'll look through the invoice /receipts file to see if there is any for them.
The shifter knob is actually a later phase 2, 4 speed plastic item that I cut down and modified sightly to fit the 3 speed shaft ( that was wrapped in chrome vinyl wrap ) . I painted the faux wood finish on both it and the shift console surround wishing to introduce a little detail to the car to better integrate the steering wheel. It's another hobby of mine and I've done a number of parts and steering wheels for older cars along with many pieces of furniture . I kept the original shift knob and got another console from Ron so I could reinstate the car to original if needed . I tried several " wood " finishes before settling on a burr walnut theme , here's a sample of the selection I made .That's genuine Oak underneath !
Nice details on the woodworking!!
Northern VA, I-95 drone...
RHD 81 635
02 530i
00 528iT
91 535i
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Been driving it whenever I could recently whilst we have enjoyed an Indian Summer over here.
Running really well with the only problem being the creaking of the leather and trim pieces in the cabin .....:roll:
I got some killer 6 x 9 speakers from Ron to be mounted under the rear seats and a pair of tweeter pods for the front door / window gussets , so upgrade to be done soon along with some final engine bay detailing .
Expect the correct Lokari liners to be delivered this week so will post up some photos of them fitted.
I'm really enjoying this car .
DSCF7970 - Copy (Large).JPG
DSCF7970 - Copy (Large).JPG (431.88 KiB) Viewed 18293 times
DSCF8387 - Copy (Large).JPG
DSCF8387 - Copy (Large).JPG (347.44 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
DSCF9157 (Large).JPG
DSCF9157 (Large).JPG (422.23 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
22256755_1607798315909054_3752884523894133343_o (Large).jpg
22256755_1607798315909054_3752884523894133343_o (Large).jpg (182.39 KiB) Viewed 18265 times
Last edited by olympia57 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1981 635 series 1
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't believe what I saw...

Post by songzunhuang »

Add me to your list of admirers. I was proud of myself for removing a few rust holes on the rear fender. Today, I am struggling with radio wiring that blew a fuse.

Then I saw this post.

I am not worthy....

Amazing work. Amazing car.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Your bronzit beige metallic looks a whole lot better than mine. But I know I need a respray. What did you finally do for paint materials?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

sansouci wrote:Your bronzit beige metallic looks a whole lot better than mine. But I know I need a respray. What did you finally do for paint materials?
I only painted it from the waist down as the top half was in good sound condition and I took great care to protect it during all the work done on the car .
I've covered the painting earlier but it was done in a clear over base as per original. The base is metalic solvent based straight 1K and the clear is a 2K product .After a lot of polishing it's starting to look OK.
I've machine polished the whole car several times now . Initially the fresh paint was machine compounded using 3M fast cut twice after wet sanding ,also twice . I used the softest black sponge on my polisher and speed was between 600 and 1400 rpm on light pressure .
I've since twice compounded the whole car again using Meguires mirror glaze 205 , which gave great results , followed with several layers of Autoglym super resin polish . I did put a couple coats of carnauba wax on to but wasn't happy with the finish , the super resin is much better .
Prior to starting the polishing I clay bar'd the old and new paint too .
Post paint finishing is an art that I'm slowly trying to master . Some amazing results can be achieved on mediocre paint finishes and some of these detailers are true artisans .
Wheels need regular polishing with Solvol Autosol metal polish to maintain the shine but it's easy to do.
Oh 'bye the way being an earlier car the paint is actually Kaschmir .
Thanks
Don
DSCF3688 (Large).JPG
DSCF3688 (Large).JPG (582.86 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
Last edited by olympia57 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

So the Kaschmir is a much deeper gold tone than the Bronzit. Now I understand.

So the paint manufacturers I've compiled are Axalta (FKA Dupont); PPG; Speis-Hecker; BASF (Glasurit), MIPA and Standox.

I know that most of the great results are the prep work, but was wondering if the group has views of the various lines. My car is Bronzit-Beige Metallic and will be re-done in the same color.

Great job on your restoration....
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

First real run today in beautiful autumn sunshine . Local vintage vehicle club arranged a pleasant drive up into the Co. Kerry mountains .
Very eclectic range of vehicles from beautifully restored vintage tractors ( some literally just off the fields too :roll: ) on display to 40's through to 80's cars on the run .
Great " craic " ( google it ) was had by all .
Lead car was an 1940's Armstrong Siddeley and this was the stop whilst we waited on it cooling down after boiling up on the hills !
DSCF8047 (Large).JPG
DSCF8047 (Large).JPG (433.3 KiB) Viewed 18454 times
Car ran great and cruised effortlessly and seems to have returned an astonishing 26 mpg . :D
Lunched at the Ring Of Kerry golf club and I bet none of you have encountered vehicles like this in front of an award winning course clubhouse .....
DSCF8078 (Large).JPG
DSCF8078 (Large).JPG (300.92 KiB) Viewed 18454 times
I live just left of centre of the view and I'd say that it's about the third time you'd see over the bay this " summer " .....
Resting beside a Lovely old Riley RME .
DSCF8076 - Copy (Large).JPG
DSCF8076 - Copy (Large).JPG (277.38 KiB) Viewed 18454 times
Last edited by olympia57 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Had a couple of wonderful days with Don and Sheila in the south of Eire. Absolutely glorious place and the weather was brilliant as well.

His car looks better than the pics could ever convey and is a testament to Don's meticulous workmanship. Well done Don.

Thank you for your hospitality and hope to get over again one day.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

ron wrote:Had a couple of wonderful days with Don and Sheila in the south of Eire. Absolutely glorious place and the weather was brilliant as well.

His car looks better than the pics could ever convey and is a testament to Don's meticulous workmanship. Well done Don.

Thank you for your hospitality and hope to get over again one day.
Thank you Ron .
You and Cassie were wonderful company and the time passed all too quickly.
Thank you also for your praise , I'm deeply honoured.
I reiterate what we said about an open invitation.
" Haste ye back ......"
Don
1981 635 series 1
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: " Auric " the odyssey ....

Post by olympia57 »

Well now .
After the Photobucket debacle this thread was decimated and even after applying the known patch that is available some of the photos have disappeared from my ( no longer used ) PB account . I initially tried to delete the PB missing images on each post and substitute theme from my PC but it seems that a max of four images can be loaded from your PC and some of the thread posts had more than that so I was beaten and just abandoned it in despair .
However several owners who are working on ,and soon to turn out ,some stunning cars had got in touch with me asking if I could fix the problem re the photos for them so the thought occurred that if I couldn't amend the original thread posts I could just hang them on the end here in the order they are missing.
Don

1981 635 series 1
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: " Auric " the two year odyssey ........

Post by olympia57 »

And just to update the thread .
The car isn't used in winter so miles covered is quite low. Since completion it's required no additional work other than upgrades and minor changes.
For five months of the year it's tucked up in here .

I did fit the speakers that I mentioned way back and the sound quality is superb, I highly recommend fitting 6x9's in this position along with tweeters on the dash edge . The BMW business HU gave way to a period RC unit with aux input . A small discreet bluetooth receiver gives effortless use now from my phone with no clutter of cd cases.

Ron ,of this parish , forwarded me a cam cover that came from Rob(wattsmonkey ) after he had it crackle coated . I spent some time polishing the raised portions which finished it off nicely. I had polished the standard cast cover and to be honest cannot make up my mind which I prefer.

And then we came to wheels .
I ran the 8 x16 Remotecs but was always unsure if I was satisfied with the offset. As I wished to stay on 16 inch rims I opted for a set of Style 5's from an E39. These come in 7 and 8 inch widths but I settled on 7's . Nothing is ever easy though and after drawing a blank here in Ireland I looked further afield and found a set in .......Germany . However BC came to the rescue and fellow member Phileas ( honyama) was kind enough to collect them and sent them over to me .
I stripped and restored them painting them in a Nissan silver .
but was disappointed in the "flat" look so off they cam and I repainted them in a mercedes benz silver and polished the rims , better .
However I'm still undecided so fitted up the Remotecs again with tyres and switch between the two depending on mood .

I also eventually fitted the Lokari Inner arch liners after some supply problems. Their website ordering info lists the series one and two versions . I queried this with them as I could not understand what the difference was between the two models under the front wings . They were rather vague but we decided to go with the series one version . When they arrived there was clearly something very wrong and it took little time to realise that the liners were for a valance equipped car and not one with a bumper /spoiler. It took some time to persuade Lokari what the problems were but they eventually admitted it was their mistake and supplied the correct spoiler version items and accepted all costs in the exchange , an honorable company.
Valance equipped liner (series one on website ) you can clearly see the wrong profile .
IMGP2391 (Large).JPG
IMGP2391 (Large).JPG (306.22 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
IMGP2401 (Large).JPG
IMGP2401 (Large).JPG (326.94 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Correct bumper/spoiler version ( series two on website )
front of arch
front of arch
Fitted 4 (Large).JPG (377.83 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
rear of arch
rear of arch
Fitted 1 (Large).JPG (434.64 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
I highly recommend fitting these as they will certainly prolong the life of any E24 but ensure you order the correct ones !
And lastly, the seats were showing a sign of slight wear after use so after taking advice from the supplier of the dye materials I redid them again and applied a matt sealer on top of the fresh dye and after two years now they are as good as new.
Should be out of hibernation anytime now and back in use for summer .
Don
Last edited by olympia57 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
randall977

Re: " Auric " the odyssey ........

Post by randall977 »

Just read through your project posts - amazing work - especially the re-spray. You really know your sills inside out as well :P ! The standard of finish is excellent - you must be very satisfied with the outcome.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Looks fantastic there. Well done.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Thank you gentlemen. :-)
As you will see the car was completed some time ago but the last post was to update it to present and replace all the lost Photobucket photos .
Bloody Photobucket ..... :evil: I had to select from PC ,upload to new host site , delete PB items and then edit and down load onto all the individual posts on the thread about sixty times .
Ah well , it's done now .
Don

PS I enjoy reading project threads and there never seems to be many on BC and many of them have been affected by PB's grasping greed so why not get some new ones going ?
1981 635 series 1
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Gorgeous looking car.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

olympia57 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm Thank you gentlemen. :-)
As you will see the car was completed some time ago but the last post was to update it to present and replace all the lost Photobucket photos .
Bloody Photobucket ..... :evil: I had to select from PC ,upload to new host site , delete PB items and then edit and down load onto all the individual posts on the thread about sixty times .
Don

PS I enjoy reading project threads and there never seems to be many on BC and many of them have been affected by PB's grasping greed so why not get some new ones going ?
Or...........you could have installed one of a few Photobucket embed fixes for Mozilla or Firefox. Seconds thought though perhaps ditching PB altogether is a good thing.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

baders wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 am
olympia57 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm Thank you gentlemen. :-)
Don

Or...........you could have installed one of a few Photobucket embed fixes for Mozilla or Firefox. Seconds thought though perhaps ditching PB altogether is a good thing.
I did , indeed the very one from a thread on this site , but about 50% of the photos on page one were still MIA . Strangely page two suffered less so.
Anyway after the destruction caused by PB I'm finished with them.
Don
1981 635 series 1
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Don , I just reread your whole project posting. Once again blown away by the quailty of work and eye for detail. Its a great read. Almost makes me sad there isnt more body work for you to tackle. ( Im sure you wouldn’t agree).
I also wholeheartedly agree with your PB hatered. Ive wasted hrs and hrs messing with the stupid system they have. Flickr for me now
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I've run the car on 16 inch wheels since I built it ,a decision made for reasons of comfort , but every time I seen a photo of an E24 on 17's it made me envious .
So I had to scratch that itch .
A bit of serindipity occurred when I found these for sale on a website that I rarly visit ,they had only posted 12 minutes before I contacted the seller.
004 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG (196.07 KiB) Viewed 17024 times
A phone call saw them bought after he assured me that they were straight and true. The guy turned out to be a thoroughly honorable and trustworthy guy . I arranged the courier from UK to Ireland and they arrived less than 48 hours later .

They really were as bad as they looked , and were described , but the seller insisted that I inspect them prior to paying for them , as I said he was a trusting guy.
20180908_091118 (Medium).jpg
20180908_091118 (Medium).jpg (204.07 KiB) Viewed 17024 times
20180908_101201 (Large) (Medium).jpg
20180908_101201 (Large) (Medium).jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 17024 times
So they were dismantled , which was quite a brutal exercise due to them being 1997 originals , and then chemically cleaned for restoration .
All the old original steel splined bolts and nuts were discarded to replaced with new Stainless steel replacements .
20180908_151821 (Medium).jpg
20180908_151821 (Medium).jpg (195.4 KiB) Viewed 17024 times
To anybody considering properly refurbishing a set of RC090's I 'd warn you that it is a dirty ,messy and very time consuming job.
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Excellent project.

I hope you used some appropriate anti-seize on the new stainless hardware. The chance for serious galvanic corrosion between aluminum and stainless is even worse than regular steel. I've seen way too much of that in aluminum locomotive horns, where the stainless fasteners just a few years in service are completely locked in the threaded holes, whereas plain steel bolts come right out even after 50+ years in service.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

So , now that they were checked ,cleaned and dismantled the refurb could commence .
They had been crudly painted with rattle can matt black over the original delaminating factory laquer so all of this had to be stripped back to bare alloy .
The only stripper that will touch this stuff is Aircraft Stripper as the more available products are worse than useless thanks to the bureaucrats of the EU deciding that we are too simple to be trusted with real paint stripper .....
Wear gloves and don't go for a pee whilst you're doing this phase....
042 (Medium).jpg
042 (Medium).jpg (222.02 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
Strong as the stripper is it still took three/four applications to get back to bare alloy.It's also worth advising that you carefully collect and dispose of the residue removed as it has an active life similar to spent plutonium.
The polishing stage is torture .
The wheels had suffered over the years resulting in corroded areas on the surface of the alloy. The only way to overcome this is to abrade this slowly using 120 , even 80 grit , paper. This leaves severe scratches but there is no other way.
I started with 400 grit ,wet, and did two passes taking time to cover all the areas of the rim.600 , 800 ,1000, 1200,1500 and then 2000 followed again working slowly and replacing the dirty water with clean fresh replacement to ensure that all areas were covered. This took a lot of time and was spread over several evenings as it was tedious and uncomfortable .
This is the finish prior to actually mopping the surface .
20180913_152837 (Medium).jpg
20180913_152837 (Medium).jpg (173.25 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
And this after using two stages of polishing mops .
044 (Medium).jpg
044 (Medium).jpg (177.52 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
The rear of the rims were sprayed to finish them off in a hard polyureathene silver /grey.
The fronts were sanded and power filed where required to remove any blistering and then primed in 2K primer and then 2K silver that I had and then painted in Wurth silver laquer. The Wurth paint is the closest I've found ,after painting many sets of wheels ,to factory colour and finish.
The centres were then finished in 2K clearcoat.
040 (Medium).jpg
040 (Medium).jpg (187.05 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
1981 635 series 1
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

As I said , I discarded the old original bolts prefering to use dome headed socket bolts . These look nicer are easier to clean and are lighter than the originals . Thread lock was used for safety but also to prevent galling on the stainless steel surfaces.
The wheels were assembled and torqued to 20 ft/lbs.
20180919_185012 (Medium).jpg
20180919_185012 (Medium).jpg (230.83 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
New caps and removal key were found in Latvia as they are NLA here in Ireland and new badges ordered for the damaged one on the original cap.
A bit of final polishing and we ended up with these.
20180921_165106 (Medium).jpg
20180921_165106 (Medium).jpg (329.22 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
20180921_165114 (Medium).jpg
20180921_165114 (Medium).jpg (291.59 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
20180921_165352 - Copy (Medium).jpg
20180921_165352 - Copy (Medium).jpg (214.92 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
They're not perfect as the years of neglect has taken it's toll on the alloy surface but as RC090's are unavailable in Ireland and getting rare and very expensive in UK and Europe they will certainly be good enough for me .
I've got 235/45 tyres to fit but these may scrub on the front which will then require 225/45's . I'll trial fit two and try them on the car next week ,if OK then fit the other two ,if not order two 225's.
I'll post some photos when fitted.
1981 635 series 1
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

hornhospital wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:26 pm Excellent project.

I hope you used some appropriate anti-seize on the new stainless hardware. The chance for serious galvanic corrosion between aluminum and stainless is even worse than regular steel. I've seen way too much of that in aluminum locomotive horns, where the stainless fasteners just a few years in service are completely locked in the threaded holes, whereas plain steel bolts come right out even after 50+ years in service.
There you go Ken , just for you , copper grease . :lol:
Don
20180919_185012 (Medium) (Small).jpg
20180919_185012 (Medium) (Small).jpg (139.38 KiB) Viewed 17020 times
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Yikes. I hate to tell you, but copper is a no-no when it comes in contact with aluminum. [-X You should use a zinc-based antiseize.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Had them fitted with a set of Kuhmo 235/45/17 tyres that I had , they balanced up perfectly which was a concern after them being dismantled and rebuilt.
Fitted them with spigot rings and the difference in offset between the Remotecs at et16 and the RC's at et20 is more noticeable than I thought it would be .
046 - Copy (Large).jpg
046 - Copy (Large).jpg (463.61 KiB) Viewed 16899 times
The tyres aren't new having been removed from my daily but have only covered about 12 K miles but the fitter told me that they were not as soft as new tyres . After driving it slowly around the garden to my surprise there was no contact between tyres and suspension or body even on full lock and with the Lokari liners fitted . I had a set of et20 x 17 wheels fitted when I bought the car and they rubbed so it was a relief when no crunching was heard ....
I went for a 25 mile drive this morning and it drove better than I anticipated with only a small drop in ride quality . Turn in on the harder walled tyres on the twisting mountain roads was noticeably different than the 16 's so I'll replace the fronts with new fresh Kumhos but drop to 225 size .
I'm much happier with the look of the car on 17's , it just seems more pleasing than on the smaller 16's , so all in all worth the effort .
Excuse the phone photos ,lovely autumn sunshine in normally wet Ireland confused my phone camera . :roll:
036 - Copy (Large).jpg
036 - Copy (Large).jpg (573.31 KiB) Viewed 16899 times
1981 635 series 1