Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1981 633 CSI Revival and Refresh

Post by GRNSHRK »

You're more than welcome Kurtis \:D/

Both Craig (pasocb) and myself are deeply immersed in these older versions, so please don't hesitate to ask questions :-"

Great to hear you're getting it together and running better =D>

And BTW, Craig and his crew (brother and nephew) have been a huge help to me as well \:D/

I need to pay these gents a visit, sooner than later [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

Kurtis,
It warms my heart to learn that we have another car back on the road running more as it was originally intended.
Your input and feedback to the forum is what is most important to all of us and will continue to be useful into the future.
cb
1981 635 Hennarot
1980 635 Polaris (Project)
Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ »

Hey Team!

Its been a long time since I have given any updates to the forum. As you all know life can get busy and messy and sometimes those priorities come first before I "goof-off" on the internet haha :mrgreen:

Im happy to say that since my last update I have been driving and breaking/fixing the 6'er quite often.

Sidenote: I love how cryptic this car is considering how I have learned so much from it that I wouldn't else receive from you're typical 90's car or anything younger than that.

Most of what I have done to the 6 has been nothing more than TLC.

Replacing the oil filter housing gasket and cleaning out the oil filter housing has definetly shortened that time frame of how long it takes to make the oil pressure light turn off on a cold start. Not sure of how many years of "sludge"/varnish I was able to clean out of the housing.
IMG_9428.jpg
IMG_9428.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_9427.jpg
IMG_9427.jpg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Out of all the TLC Ive been doing, the ignition switch was probably the biggest PITA I ever had to deal with. What didn't help my experience was that I decided to be hard headed and try to remove the switch with the upper steering column still in the chassis. Took me a long time to get it out, but it was definitely worth it. Why replace it? I never really knew that the switch was bad, however I was trying to diagnose an issue I had while driving. The car would randomly start/not start after driving and this eventually lead to the car turning off while driving. It got so bad that I had to park the car for some time while I had to study my trusty Bentley manual and the wiring diagrams.

[Disclaimer] - I own a series 1 E24. My Bentley manual is for series 2. It will only get me so far on some items....wiring diagrams is not one of those items ](*,)

Amidst testing the ignition components I want to drop a piece of information in this thread that I would believe is helpful for others (I trust that other members will correct me if I get this wrong). To alleviate the headache that youre fuel system is functioning (electrically), the "big block" ignition relay by the brake booster is youre guiding light. Jumping pins 87/85d will prime the fuel system by turning on the main fuel pump. If this does not work then that will save you a lot of time.

Once I ruled out that my plugs weren't bad and my fuel system was bad I pulled the trigger on ordering the ignition switch. Not going to dive into the details of replacing the switch because I know a lot of articles cover that part far greater than I ever would (Im not a writer lol) :-"
IMG_2965.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg (83.54 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_9802.jpg
IMG_9802.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Its winter here in FL so the current idea is to consistently drive and test the car out on small trips until I know everything is solid....for now :lol:
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse
Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ »

In addition to what I have above, I have other TLC photos. My hope with all of this is to prep my car for a rally to the Keys from Orlando. After that I will be doing a huge restoration project to the 6....rust repair that is.

Forgive me as I am "young", but I picked up a tach and dwell meter to help me diagnose some of the idle issues I have off and on since I rebuilt the head on this car. Didnt know that a tach and dwell meter even existed or knew what it was until a good friend of mine taught me about how detailed mechanics were when they performed a "tune up" before the fuel injection age.
Attachments
IMG_9598.jpg
IMG_9598.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg (148.41 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg (166.62 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9429.jpg (136.57 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Interesting, I just gave a tach/dwell meter away =D>

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32705

Not sure why you would need a dwell meter however, your 81 shouldn't have breaker points :-?
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ »

GRNSHRK wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:27 pm Interesting, I just gave a tach/dwell meter away =D>

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32705

Not sure why you would need a dwell meter however, your 81 shouldn't have breaker points :-?
To be perfectly honest that was a huge part of my learning curve :lol:

Atleast I am able to figure out what the RPM is when I adjust the dizzy. Still a great tool and piece of history.
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse