Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Tommys 89 635

Re: Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Phillip,
Even though there are a few bumps in the road, glad to hear things are coming along.
Paint looks great
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I replaced my heater core as a pre-emptive strike while the engine was out last year. It's not a job I would ever want to do again and took 3 weekends, but not overly difficult. I managed to do this only removing seats, centre console, glove box and lower dash panel, and the fan covers on engine side.

I even managed to leave the heater cables connected. I can imagine disconnecting these being an absolute nightmare. The most difficult aspects:
  • lining up the heater box and reconnecting the ducting
  • getting the centre console back in - easy removing without the gearbox but with this back in wasn't
  • re-installing the glove box. I've done this several times now and find it a real pain
  • reconnecting the backlighting
I didn't reinstall the air-con box so this was a bonus.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Update!

Okay, first, thanks to jps635 and Tommy for helpful and kind words. Danke!
And now to the next order of business. After driving Grace, Doug Park commented that the single best thing I could do to improve engine performance was to "chip" Grace. Furthermore, he pointed me to speednutz on ebay, who sells used Dinan chips as the place to go. Well, a used Dinan chip was $89.00 delivered (via USPS).

My biggest complaint with Grace has always been the lack of acceleration throughout the rpm range and especially off of idle. It's why I swapped out the original fuel injectors for the Mustang replacements and why I swapped out the original 3.25 open differential for a 3.73LSD. These changes helped because make no mistake, Grace was a slug before.

The change! THE CHANGE! Folks, it took my breath away! THIS is the car I had hoped I was buying on January 12, 2009. This simple plug and play change gave me a car that, while NOT tire smoking or whiplash inducing, is still so different and thrilling to drive, it's as though I have a different Grace to drive now. The power is strong, steady and very linear and it just builds and builds! I swear to you I am NOT a shill for speednutz. He was very conscientious that I get the correct chip. Grace uses a Dinan Chip number D900-3522. It arrived early and was a piece of cake to install. The key matter is to position the little divot which is at one end of each chip, identical to the way the one being removed was positioned.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Hello fellow maniacs!!

Yep, it's been a while. Well, life intervenes. I'm going to reveal a truth here so perhaps you should sit down? K? Once you get a little taste of speed, you want moooooorre! Who knew, right? Well, if you've read my previous post/s you know that Grace was improved HUGELY by the expert mechanical work of Doug Park & the addition of (at his suggestion) that chip. Yeah well, it's not enough. At first I thought the addition of a turbo with about 6lbs of boost would be perfect! I even had a buddy with a 7.45 unit just wasting away on a shelf in his storage unit and he was willing to part with it. Then I found out the ugly truth about California's increasingly clear skies and lowering pollution. The folks associated with the California Air Resources Board never (apparently) cared much for modifiers. It doesn't matter if your after-market supercharger, turbo or various other tweak-age improves mileage, lowers particulates per million or reduces your ozone output. Unless said item has a CARB sticker on it, you can't register your vehicle here in The Golden State. ~sob~
Yep, unless I want to register Grace in AZ, MT or WA, I'm not going to get the HP with a puffer on Grace. Drat! Sooooooo, what IS the answer? Well, a 5 speed 260/6 will go a long way to making that M30B34 come to life, but will it be enough? How about a swap to an M30S38? Yeah, running the numbers on THAT swap let's me know I'm not going down that road. Sooooo, maybe swapping for an M30B35 along with a 5 speed...hmmmm.

There is an M30B35 available (from a 1989 e24) and at a reasonable price. (under $750) I don't THINK I'll have to have it 'referee'd' by the DMV folks, in large part because from a visual inspection it won't appear significantly different from what is there presently and there won't be any shiny chrome bits to suggest that tweaking has been underway. So it'll look stock. I am pondering the addition of aftermarket exhaust headers to increase flow and gain some percentage points of HP. Though apparently THOSE shiny bits can cause smog station techs to froth at the mouth and demand CARB stickers. ~sigh~ Please, let me know what you think and especially any fellow Golden State members who might have encountered issues with custom parts.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Move to a state that doesn't think it needs to be a nanny to you on everything you do. It'd be easier to list what California DOESN'T regulate than what it does.

You: [-o< "Can I make this modification that will improve everything about this car, including lowering every measurable type of pollution?"

C.A.R.B. : [-(
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

hornhospital wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 pm Move to a state that doesn't think it needs to be a nanny to you on everything you do. It'd be easier to list what California DOESN'T regulate than what it does.

You: [-o< "Can I make this modification that will improve everything about this car, including lowering every measurable type of pollution?"

C.A.R.B. : [-(
Ken?

Don't be hatin' on California. I'm NOT moving, thanks. Now, have you any CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions to make? I'm serious about this swap.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I was being semi-factious, but everything I've seen/read/heard about California is that it's a wonderful place to live (albeit VERY expensive), but has some of the most ridiculous regulations about cars and modifying them. Your idea of turboing is a prime example. When done correctly it would vastly improve not only the power, but the emissions, but since the turbo system wouldn't have a C.A.R.B. sticker of approval, it's a no-go.

Going with the later engine sounds like a do-able path. Just pray you don't get an inspector that knows what he's/she's looking at.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Hey Phillip,

When I smog my 89, the guy uses a flashlight and looks for everything and still uses the wand in the tailpipe. He even noticed my original cat.
I'm sure if you drop in the M30B35 motor with the necessary smog parts, it should pass.
If you had after market headers, you probably will not pass. If you weld on the 02-sensor bung, I'd imagine the emissions should be ok but will they get you on the visual part. Maybe ask a local BMW shop in your area if they may know.

Next time I get a smog, I'll have to ask my smog guy if would pass or not.

CA's emissions are tough. Maybe rebuilding the motor will give you the pick up you are looking for.

Good luck with your decision.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

MM you have my disease!

My 1977 633CSi did have around 160hp from its tired M30B32. But with a 5 speed manual I needed more.

So;

1. 14 inch wheels went to low profile 17 inch. This made a big difference.
2. 2.5 inch single tube exhaust. Do this before the extractors.
3. New front sway bar.

And then I too said "tis not enough!" I had tracked Gertie and her progressive bum out in the worlds most controllable way had me thinking engine swap!

So;
1. I bought an M30B35. Then I sold it.
2. I bought an S38B38 from Iceland of all places.
3. It was completely refreshed. But had an oil leak from the timing chain cover.
4. Mechanic went to start after repairs (took forever to get gaskets, like 4 months) but battery flat, timing chain jumped gears.
5. All valves hammered so insurance repair.
6. Purchase $6k of race parts.
7. S38B38 built into race endurance engine. Blue printed, balanced, high performance valves, cams and springs. Light flywheel.
8. Engine in car now and awaiting tune.
7. Changed the diff to a 3.73 LSD large case.
8. Bought a 6 speed gearbox.

It is all about the speed. So I get what you are after. My advice?

1. Big exhaust. The exhaust strangles the M30 far more than extractors. I've seen a neat 3 speed auto 1976 633 keep up with fresh 4 speed auto 1988 B35's solely on exhaust swap!
2. Manual will help heaps. Go 5 speed overdrive with your diff or get the E34 M5 6 speed. It is the 5 speed dogleg with the 5 speed overdrives 5th as a 6th.
3. Big bore throttle body and extractors. The extractors can be sourced easily but the BBTB is a neat trick.
4. Go to ebay, search 2003 Landrover Discovery V8 throttle body. Fits perfectly but needs two bolt holes welded up and two new bolts holes drilled. It is a BMW throttle body and the M30B35 throttle body fits inside it!

Those 4 things will give you best bang for buck before you go CAM. After CAM you start looking at complete engine race build.A Schrick 288 degree CAM or Catcam (http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/BMW_M ... gines.html ) to say 299 degrees will see your car rocket to around 260hp (with exhaust and extractor changes).

Oh, and springs and shocks make a big difference. Go 30mm lower springs 30% stiffer and bliestein sports shocks.

Hope all this helps.

Ship
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Thanks Shipper!

Yeah, you're a bit more focused than I plan to be. I already have my aftermarket, (Ireland) cat back muffler set up. Great exhaust note by the way. And I already have a 3.73 medium case LSD dif. I'll be going with a 260/6 5 speed mated to the M30B35 with a lightened flywheel.
I'll have a look at the BBTB you mentioned but since I have no desire to track my car, I'll be sticking with my stock springs and my Bilstein touring shocks. (I LOVE em)

Keep the shiny side up

Phil
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Hey Phil,

My springs and shocks comment was not really track related. I just like the look of a 6'er lowered 30mm and the feel of a slightly stiffer car.

I think you'll end up with a great grand tourer with a good bit of speed. And something that can stay with a hot hatch and look far better.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Ship (Josh)
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Great Googly Moogly!

Ladies and germs, there is NEWS! One week ago I journeyed to Lake Hughes, CA and purchased a 265/6 Getrag and now the assembling of parts begins! Grace WILL GET HER 5 speed swap!! Updates as the plan comes together.

Keep the shiny side UP

Phillip
Attachments
Ain't she purdy?
Ain't she purdy?
60072470217__2F5B0007-6B38-433D-B4F5-ACB2288AA615.jpg (190.62 KiB) Viewed 11378 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

It can finally be said. For the time being, Grace is complete! Doug Park completed the swap a few days ago and I had the chance to run Grace up Big Tujunga canyon road with VinceG101 and his M535i. Gosh what a difference. Doug Park is a WIZARD! The swap is flawless. The trans works without any issues. No rattles, synchros work like a dream and the fit/finish of the components is OEM perfect!

Keep the shiny side UP

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well done Phillip that must be a good feeling !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement