Help with wheel naming

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rooban

Help with wheel naming

Post by rooban »

Hi all,

Since last week I'm an extremely proud and happy owner of a 86 US M6. It came with a set of as far as I can tell, http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/127BMW Style 127's (picture attached). I am now on the market for a wheelset that is more accurate to the period and here where I get all confused.

Sorry if the questions have already been answered multiple times, if you could then just point me to them, I would be grateful.

- What are the "true wheels" that originally came with M6s? If there was a range to choose from, what was it?
- I have seen "BBS Style 5" mentioned on the Internet. What does that mean? Was BBS an OEM manufacturer for some of the BMW wheelsets?
- I have also seen "BBS RC 090 (BMW Style 5)" mentioned. That also adds to the confusion :( Is the RC line made OEM for BMW and the RS line a genuine and original BBS wheelset?
- Do modern tires (not the madly expensive TRXs) fit all wheels or some are specifically designed for TRX only?
- What would be the priority in which I should look for wheels for my car? Money is an issue, although I can probably sell my current wheels (pretty good condition 17''s) to partly finance the new ones.
- Are 16'' but more expensive wheels more preferable than more basic 17s? I know this is kinda for me to decide in the end :) but what would you suggest?

The car is not a museum/collector's grade, it has ~130k miles, has been in an accident etc. I did get it relatively cheaply though (certainly the case for EU market, I myself am in Estonia) so not planning spending €5k on wheels + tires, but I woulв like to bring the car as close to the original state as I reasonably can.

Thanks for your time! I'll be popping up with some more questions in the nearest future :)
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-09 at 20.37.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-09 at 20.37.45.jpeg (244.74 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
anchored

Re: Help with wheel naming

Post by anchored »

the BBS RC090 (style 5) was one of the factory wheels for the e24 as well as the e39 528i which makes it easy to find and fairly common. its a good looking and affordable wheel which is why everyone likes it.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi