Radio power issue.

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

anchored

Radio power issue.

Post by anchored »

I have installed my new radio and an after market digital temp gauge.
Everything works perfectly in Accessory position, so I did not catch any problems right away. but when the car is on and when the car is driving the digital temp gauge seems to flicker on and off and the radio seems to randomly turn off.

When I step on the brake, the temp gauge flicker stops and it holds stead on. No clue if this effects the radio because that one is much rarer. once or twice in a whole drive.

It restarted the radio when I pulled the headlight knob on as well. (I do not have the dimmer wire hooked up)

I thought the problem might be traced to ground G200 but I am not experiencing any issues with anything else.

I am also having a problem with the factory temp needle. it works but will randomly climb to hot without triggering the warning light. I am not sure how to check that the warning light. I know you need to ground something.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
635sharknose

Re: Radio power issue.

Post by 635sharknose »

My first guess is also a grounding issue.
Strange behavior often leads to grounding issues.

The temperature warning light isn't activated by the same sensor output as the needle. They have there own signal coming from the temperature sensor.
Perhaps the sensor is faulty or the light is broken. You can test this by connecting the temperature connectors to ground one by one. One is for the needle, the other is for the light. See the photo below how to test the light.
Attachments
DSC_0785.JPG
DSC_0785.JPG (113.89 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
DSC_0784.JPG
DSC_0784.JPG (79.58 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
anchored

Post by anchored »

Is that left one the warning light one.

Thats where the previous owner attached the old after market temp sensor.

that could be the reason I am not seeing a light.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
anchored

Post by anchored »

If I can not identify the grounding issue, There is nothing wrong with just running my own ground for the radio and aux digital temp gauge right?
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

There is no issue with that, though it is always good to fix the original problem.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
anchored

Post by anchored »

So there was a loose ground behind the radio. Fixed that for now. I think the issue with the aftermarket temp gauge is actually a voltage regulation issue based on how it responds to headlights or braking, it seems to not like change in voltage. I am going wire in a Linear voltage regulator and see if that fixes the flickering.

Edit. Remembering that car USB chargers are just buck converters. I just took one apart, soldered on to it and hot glued it shut. pumping out a steady 5v and everything is working perfectly.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
Dmckim

Post by Dmckim »

Not sure if the wiring is the same on a later chassis than my "Series 1" car, but the radio and taillights were on the same circuit. When I removed the original factory Blaupunkt and put in a meder stereo, tail lights and and dashlights would all dim. I replaced the tail lights with LED bulbs to reduce the draw on the circuit. That was 10+ years ago with no issues since.

Dale
Buffalo, NY
1980 633CSi
1987 325is (sold)
2001 740iL Sport (sold)
2007 328xiT (Sold)
2014 320dT (Sold)
Current: 2023 Jetta GLI M/T
2007 GMC Sierra,
1972 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
anchored

Post by anchored »

Might be worth doing. I seem to be having no issues right now, but I heard this radio can be a bit picky about voltage drop. LED's would certainly help.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi