removing door handles

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

falcotim

removing door handles

Post by falcotim »

Can anybody help me out with removing the exterior door handles? The handle is much more complicated than any cars I have worked on so far, and I am stuck.
JT

Post by JT »

I got to a similar point & had to back out - sorry I can't help. I just wanted to make sure I got notified when someone with the right answers pipes in...
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Does this help? It does describe them as "the evil exterior door handle"!

http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Body_Inte ... or10134915

I'm sourcing some new exterior door handle gaskets so I may have to do this myself soon. No looking forward to it. I've buggered around with the door handles on the green car before and that was very frustrating.
JT

Post by JT »

amibuggnu wrote:Does this help? It does describe them as "the evil exterior door handle"!

http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Body_Inte ... or10134915

I'm sourcing some new exterior door handle gaskets so I may have to do this myself soon. No looking forward to it. I've buggered around with the door handles on the green car before and that was very frustrating.
This is exactly why I will be doing mine, Ellis. If you have a hard time sourcing then down there, Steve Haygood was able to get them for me. They've been sitting on my workbench for about six months, mocking me every time I walk past... :wink:
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Door handles.

Post by ron »

Will try and do a "how to" guide with some pics.It is one of the most

awkward jobs on the "6".I've had both handles off on both the red and

white cars.Just be warned,it's taken me up to 2+ hours to get one back on

and a lot of damaged knuckles/backache and real foul language!!

Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I looked at this job a while ago (one of my first 6er-fixits actually) and decided that it looked so bloody awkward that I would change the lock barrel in situ (which I did) and if I ever had to change the gasket only I'd seriously think about cutting it underneath in order to fit it (have not bothered with this one yet).

To anyone delving in the door here; you have my sympathies....

Ron, you must have extra joints in your fingers or something.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GWL

Post by GWL »

Brucey wrote:I looked at this job a while ago (one of my first 6er-fixits actually) and decided that it looked so bloody awkward that I would change the lock barrel in situ (which I did) and if I ever had to change the gasket only I'd seriously think about cutting it underneath in order to fit it (have not bothered with this one yet).

To anyone delving in the door here; you have my sympathies....

Ron, you must have extra joints in your fingers or something.....

cheers
Not to hijack the thread, but a very small hairpin style spring on the driver's side door latch assembly wore in half and froze the door handle so that the driver's door would not open on my 80 Euro. I learned this while on a cross country trip when I could not exit the car. After an uncomfortable trip home, I had to go into this forbidden territory in order to modify the newer style latch now sold and install it in the door. To add insult to injury, my door had been modified with an internal door brace to comply with US DOT import regulations, which as the Gods of mechanics no doubt decreed, was positioned in a way to make the insertion of a human hand almost impossible.. My hands were just not made to contort in the ways necessary to accomplish this job gracefully. This particular job, never to be undertaken again in my lifetime :D , lasted for a full 9 hours.
psspt

Post by psspt »

Tring for a day to get the lock out of the door. PO sold me the car and then told me the lock was busted. Just now getting around to pulling out the barrel but cannot get the clip off the back to be able to push the barrel through.

Anybody done this so i can get some advise?

Jason
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

IIRC correctly it is just very fiddly and awkward. It helped a lot having a replacement lock part in my hand so I could see how it was fitted together. It might be that the lock barrel needs to have the correct key fitted to it when it is removed; I had no problem here as I was missing my bezel, and the barrel still worked, but I'm not sure I'd have got it out if the thing was completely jammed.

sorry not to be of more help, maybe Ron will post his pics soon....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
barry 88 635

Post by barry 88 635 »

not that bad, just removed 2 of them last week and have done a bunch of others and did a install on mine, start by using a scredriver and pop off the half circle lock retainer aft, it will just fall off, there is a pole coming off the lock that goes down to a plastic retainer, take it out of the retainer, using the pole u can now turn the lock untill it pops out, sometimes u have to play with it, now on the handle u will see a nut facing u, take that off, u will see 2 smaller nuts that face each other at each end of the lock, take those off, at the top of the handle is a steel bar held on be 1 or 2 clips, remove the bar, now the handle will just come out of the door, only takes about 10 to 15 min, install a little harder because u have to get the lock retainer back on in a tight spot, first time should take about a hour for removl and install, hope this helps
Kamps16

Re: removing door handles

Post by Kamps16 »

Help! I have a 1989 E24 and the driver's door handle came out without any issues. This forum was a huge help and thanks to those of you who share your expertise. My problem is with the passenger door handle. The mechanism on the back of the tumbler is plastic. There is no pin to slide out. It seems to me the only way to remove the door handle is to turn the locking mechanism with the key to the point that it releases from the handle. My problem is that it seems I need to apply a lot of torque and the key is on the verge of breaking. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance to the experts! Your help is greatly appreciated.