Anyone Ever Bought A Fiberglass or CF Hood from DTM Fiberwerkz?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Slownrusty

Anyone Ever Bought A Fiberglass or CF Hood from DTM Fiberwerkz?

Post by Slownrusty »

Perusing the interwebs, and came across these guys in California.

https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?rou ... =59_83_131

They make body kit and a neat light weight hood for the E24. Anyone ever heard or dealt with them?

Thanks,
Yasin
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone Ever Bought A Fiberglass or CF Hood from DTM Fiberwerkz?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Yasin, you might want to talk to this guy :-k

https://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32260

Just a couple of posts below yours :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Oops!! totally missed that...thank-you!
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Surely there must be many “old” bonnets available in the US for much less $$$ than these fibreglass examples? Why would you wish to spend much more money, at the same time as devaluing your motor :-k
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I have to admit that for a black car, the CF hood is tempting. For $695 you get a perfect, lightweight hood, that doesn't need paint, and it lightens the front end which impacts the 57% front weight bias.

Compared to the price of getting a damaged hood repaired, that is CHEAP! Hell, just stripping, and painting a "straight" hood could be upwards of $1000.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Da_Hose wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:44 pm ................ and it lightens the front end which impacts the 57% front weight bias.

Compared to the price of getting a damaged hood repaired, that is CHEAP! Hell, just stripping, and painting a "straight" hood could be upwards of $1000.

Jose
Wow!

You guys seem to pay loads of $$$$ for a repainted bonnet. Over here I would think it would be no more than £300 for a repaint. I painted one myself last Autumn (changed colour from Zinnober to Black) and all it cost me was about £50 for the undercoat, gloss & thinners.

If you need to reduce weight at the front, then move the battery into the boot :wink:
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

For sure Pod, here in California we have lots of factors like environmental regulations, and a high cost of living that makes getting things done WAY more expensive than in other parts of the world. That is why I am such a DIY type person. I took another look at pricing, and the CF hood is actually $900, so I have to edit my response a little.

I am not a painter, so having someone else paint means at least 2-4 hours in labor for sanding/prep, on top of the job itself. Labor in my area (Napa, CA) will be from $100 - $200 an hour. Given labor costs, $1000 is probably on the low end of what it could cost me for a high quality repaint with factory matched, PPG paint and good clear coat.

Compare that to a $700 hood ($900 for CFRP) that would just need a light 2000 grit sand and it's ready for a couple coats of paint, and final top-coat with 2K clear. The CFRP hoods are more like $900, but if the hood just needed a polish, I do have a DA to give a gloss finish. I really like the idea of a nice, hard clear coat on there though. With that, we are talking less than 2 days work, way less fumes, and under $1000. I could probably just bite the bullet and have a shop do the clear on a nice new hood for a couple hundred.

If you paint for a living, or have done a lot of it that's awesome! I do not, and I have not, so spending money is really my best option. That is what makes those $700 fiberglass ($900 CF) hoods so doggone appealing if yours is damaged, or if you like the CF look. On a black car I think the CF hood would be ok, but could be pretty obnoxious on any other color.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Hi Jose, I take your point and am grateful we don’t have such expensive labour rates over here, nor (for Classic car restorers) such strict environmental regulations 😉
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

+1 on what Jose said, same here in New York State.

Just an fyi. If you go the fiber route the hood dampers may put to

much pressure on the hood when closing and crack it where they attach.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3