High Output Lights / Fall 2015 update, sale

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MisterFixit

Re: High Output Lights / Spring 2020 update, sale

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE - One Hundredth Upgrade - Big Discount

I am closing in on my One Hundredth Pair of Upgrade Lights, and am offering a 50% Discount for the lucky person who receives this set. I've made way more than 100 lighting upgrade kits, this is specifically about a SERIAL NUMBERED SET, reserved for the serious upgrades.

This means no discount on bulb sets or parts, it DOES mean any Plus 2, Plus 4, or Plus 6 upgrade, US and Euro cars, where additional lights are inserted into the reflectors... safely and effectively ... and a serial number is assigned for tracking and warranty. As I said, this set will have Serial Number 100.

Think about how nice it would be if you were never tail-gated again, and when you lock up the binders, everyone behind you does too!
This is what better rear lighting can do: help other folks play nice in the sandbox, and that's a good thing for you and for everyone. Now think about getting this at HALF PRICE.

For the sake of fairness (and excitement and mystery), I will not share what serial number is on the bench right now, let's just say it's in the 90's, and increments by one each pair of SERIAL NUMBERED lights is sold and shipped. I will announce the winning set after it has sold, and the owner has received their refund!

Aus Freude am fahren!
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
MisterFixit

Re: High Output Lights / Winter 2020 update

Post by MisterFixit »

OK, it's been a hell of a year, hasn't it? I've been off the forum for quite a while, so it's time to fix THAT oversight.

First thing is an update on rear light restoration improvements. I have been applying a 'chrome' silver paint, suited to outdoor use. It was NOT even close to chrome, and this was frustrating. I wanted the lights to reflect like nobody's business... and read somewhere that a fellow had applied 'aluminum tape' like the stuff you seal air ducts with, and thought it was a step in the right direction.

I wanted something more flexible than aluminum tape, so I have been trying a new material, and it seems to be working out fine. The new method uses a shiny Mylar film with self-adhesive layer, it has more of a mirror-like finish. It is SHINY like the paint never could be, and I have tried it in several pairs of lights- two E9 coupes, a 2002, and a Porsche 911 (an OLD one). The results are initially very good, so I am planning on doing a pair of shark lights. Yes, I know... "It's About Dam Time."

Of course I will post pictures of an E24 light, and will also take some comparison shots of the light output from paint versus Mylar with all other variables eliminated. Meanwhile, to see a picture of the 2002 reflector, before and after, part way through the process, shoot me a pm or email ("board attachment quota has been reached"). I may have to start a new post...

Stay tuned for details!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
brickwhite

Re: High Output Lights / Fall 2015 update, sale

Post by brickwhite »

I've used RC model Chrome trim in the past for projects like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Flite-Monoko ... B0015VO7DE $2.99

They also sell a whole role of the chrome mylar but it is iron on, not sure how well that would adhere to a plastic reflector. And it's $15 a roll of 24"x78"

https://www.amazon.com/Hangar-9-UltraCo ... mes&sr=1-2

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
MisterFixit

Re: High Output Lights /Winter 2020 update

Post by MisterFixit »

Yes, the stuff is widely available. My roll is 5 feet by 12 inches, I think it was $9. It has a much smoother surface than that pictured, much like a mirror when applied, and very minor to almost no 'orange peel' effect. I suspect each manufacturer's version has a slightly different surface character... and one is probably about as effective as another, considering the geometry within the light.

Still planning to offer that half price sale to the 100th upgrade lights customer, whoever you are... getting closer!
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"