1986 635CSI

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hutch

1986 635CSI

Post by Hutch »

Up for sale is my 1986 BMW 635CSI, a beautiful black on black 5-speed example with a long service history including recent work in the past year to make it a wonderful driver. The car is a fantastic grand touring car and a pleasure to drive.

I purchased this car in January of this past year (feels like a lifetime ago) and have spent my quarantine doing my best James May impression fixing up some small issues and tidying up loose ends. In my ownership the following have been replaced:

Both fuel pumps
Fuel sender
Fuel filter
Brake booster
2 Crank Position Sensors
Alternator voltage regulator
Alternator ground strap
New positive battery cable connector
Refinished valve cover and air filter box
New air filter
New ignition coil
New spark plugs and wires
New distributor rotor and cap
Replaced transistor for heater blower
Brand new Bosch heater fans
Adjusted window track and seals to minimize door noise
BBE Exhaust was added (stock exhaust is included with sale)

The interior of the car is in very nice condition and the sports seats are in much better shape than many. The car spent much of its life in TX apparently and as a result the seats were dry when I purchased the car so I have been giving them a regimen of Griot’s Garage leather conditioner and they are now supple once again. The dashboard has typical cracks often seen in 1980’s cars and a previous owner filled these in with a silicone or epoxy mix, I had plans to refinish the dash, but honestly it does not look too bad and prevents them from spreading further. As I mentioned I replaced the heater fans and blower transistor (common problem on these 6 series) and the heat works very well, the a/c system is intact and could probably use a recharge but is adequate for warm weather. The previous owner also installed an Alpine radio with bluetooth connectivity and replaced all the speakers with more modern, better sounding equipment.

The exterior of the car shines up very well but there are a handful of door dings on the sides of the car, I again had plans for a PDR to get them out but it never bothered me too much. The 16” wheels are off an E39 M5 (or so I was told) and are in great shape with basically no curb rash. The tires have plenty of tread on them but appear to be old so should probably be replaced.

The engine is the classic silky smooth BMW inline 6, it starts up instantly and idles rock solid and accelerates all the way through the rev range. The BBE exhaust has a nice presence to it but is not obnoxious at all, though the stock exhaust is included if you would prefer that instead. The transmission shifts smoothly through all the gears with no whines or strange noises. I am not sure of the exact ratio installed but it has long gears so highway drives are very comfortable and smooth even at modern speeds. The suspension feels great, exactly what a touring car like this should be, firm and planted in the corners without being harsh.

The previous owner had this car swapped from an automatic to a 5 speed in 2016 and at the same time replaced the following items, additionally I have a binder of receipts for work done to the car dating back to 1988:

Rear main engine seal
Replaced transmission mounts
Replaced shifter bushings, shifter mount, and center support bearing
Resurfaced flywheel with new clutch hydraulic line
Right rear ABS sensor
Replaced fan clutch
Replaced subframe bushings

All in all this is a well sorted example of a classic BMW that is getting harder and harder to find. I really have loved owning this car but circumstances change and thus need to find a new home for it. I am asking $12,500 which I think is a fair number given the maintenance this car has received, but am open to negotiation.

I think I have covered most of the important points but if you have any questions feel free to let me know. I also have a Google drive full of more images of the car for anyone interested just click below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Photos on my Flickr account:
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1986 635CSI

Post by 86_6series »

Very, very nice example of an 86. I'm here to encourage you
to stick with your price as best as possible. I think your six
is worth the $12.5 in every way.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

Thank you for the kind words!

I struggled to come up with a fair price for it to be honest, prices seem to be all over the place for 6'ers, I know this is a strange market and time to be selling any car. I actually put it up for cheaper here than on the local Craigslist hoping it goes to an enthusiast and someone that will care for it.
loverboyburner

Post by loverboyburner »

Hutch, is the car still available?
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Very nice car, They wheels are interesting. I like them. They don't look like e39 wheels to me. Any chance of a pic of the stampings under the cap.
GLWS.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Good catch Dave, those wheels came from the E28 M5, ask me how I know :-k

My 6er came with the same wheels =D>

GLWS, looks pretty tidy \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige