Another Antenna Question

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

cmcgettrick

Another Antenna Question

Post by cmcgettrick »

So I have been noticing differences in the mounting of the antenna on the exterior of the car. My car is a 1988 M6 so I have been looking at both 87 and 88 model years. I have noticed 2 different styles, one has a rubber boot surrounding the antenna mast and the other is a metal collar with a screw on nut, photos of both styles are below. My question is what determined the style that was installed on the cars? Was this simply a case of whatever parts were on hand were used at that time? Or was there a line change at a specific time in the production that might corollate to a VIN number range where one would expect to see the different part?

We see these two types off scenarios in the classic corvette world as part number changes or design changes were not uncommon throughout a model year run.

The one with the rubber boot is what is currently installed on my car. The metal collar is on a friend's 40,000 1988 M6.
Attachments
Antenna 1.jpg
Antenna 1.jpg (516.4 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Antenna 2.jpg
Antenna 2.jpg (772.88 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Chuck
1988 E24 M6
Sbeaud

Re: Another Antenna Question

Post by Sbeaud »

No picture, but mine is the same as your friend's M6.

Scott
1988 M6
cmcgettrick

Re: Another Antenna Question

Post by cmcgettrick »

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. Not sure why I have what I have but I’ll look into it some more next weekend. Thanks!
Chuck
1988 E24 M6