1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kronus

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by kronus »

Really sorry to see this. There is a hood and driver's fender for sale in Sacramento on FB Marketplace - they are blue, but they look straight and pretty cheap.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

kronus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:48 pm Really sorry to see this. There is a hood and driver's fender for sale in Sacramento on FB Marketplace - they are blue, but they look straight and pretty cheap.
Thank you so much for the lead. I have sent a message to the person and will see how they respond. Sacramento is about 2.5 hours from me and it would be well worth the drive.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Unplanned Bodywork - Yup, Accident.

Post by songzunhuang »

bm635csi wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:25 am
songzunhuang wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 am It is with a heavy heart that I post these pictures. ...

I will have the car good as new...stay tuned.
That upsetting Song ,I'm glad that you're OK though . We been watching your exceptional build from New Zealand , and I am sure you will have it back .
Wow, New Zealand! I appreciate the message. Support from the forum can give me the fortitude to get through lots of bumps in the road. Each day I feel more confident that the shark will be back on the road.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Slownrusty wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:33 am Ouch!
Sorry this happened but glad you're fine.

Definitely talk to Elias Gergy, he'll take care of you for the parts needed. He is dismantling an '87 right now and getting ready to cut the car-up and send it to the crusher.
Thanks for the tip! I've been in touch with Ralph and I'll run things by him first after I get the list of parts needed from the body shop. Anything I can't get from Ralph (although I expect it won't be too much he can't get), I'll be sure and reach out to Elias.

I just need to wait for the list of parts from the body shop. I hope to get that list this week.
Hopefully very little goes to the crusher. We need parts to keep our rides on the road!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Doctorbeer

Post by Doctorbeer »

Hello Song,

I am sorry to hear about the car. I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago. Less damage, someone backed into the driver fender wing and driver door. How does someone back into a parked car? #-o
I always peek in your thread from time to time because our cars are the same year and I seem to be following your progression when it comes to replacing parts or fixing things. Though I haven't updated my thread in awhile, my car has been in different shops for almost 2 years now. (New transmission, paint, next window seals, etc.)

A lot of hammering will be needed and it may be cheaper just to find a replacement fender and hood than paying for the labor to bang them back into shape. This is what I did on mine, $100 fender vs labor to smack the original into shape with no promises.

If you do need to find parts, I use https://www.car-part.com/index.htm. It's mostly junk yards, you'll need to call them, and see if they do shipping if you do find a new fender.

If you can't find them, they do make carbon fiber wings and hoods. Wings are at https://www.xmoorcars.co.uk/product-category/exterior/ and the hood is at https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=594

Good luck!
1984 633i Auto
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
Pre-pandemic I had a quote to do a full repaint with all the glass out for $20k. Of that, $5k was for materials, $10k for labor and $5k for parts such as trims, seals and unknowns. You may be able to paint the hood, nose and fender yourself. This time work in a paint booth to control the dust and insects. I know you can do it successfully. You did it once so you have some practice.

Enjoy your Father's Day. The 6 will get fixed!

Best of luck,
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A Few Body Parts are In

Post by songzunhuang »

Well, this weekend I was able to get a few pieces of the puzzle towards the restoration of the shark. I was able to find a hood, driver fender, and a few parts I didn't really need. Luckily these were near a relatives house and my relatives were visiting this weekend, so they picked it up and brought it over. A nice step forward.
Parts in the back of a truck.
Parts in the back of a truck.
Delivered Parts.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2209 times
So I spread out the bits and I have a hood and fender in really good shape. Of course it'll need to be repainted, but that's not a big deal. There's also a front bumper and a lower rear valance panel. I don't need those and will offer them up to anyone who needs them for cheap. Just sent me a PM.
These will work nicely.
These will work nicely.
Hood Fender and such.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2209 times
I am planning to visit the body shop this week to get a first hand look at what else is needed, but I know the hood and fender were on the list. I'm excited to get these major bits in house.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Glad to see that you're getting things together Song =D>

Almost the same color :shock:

Please keep us posted on your progress, which I know you will do :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gonna Need a New Front End

Post by songzunhuang »

Well, I got a chance to go see my sickly car at the body shop today. The damage was a bit worse than I had anticipated, but still salvageable I think.
First, they had to cut up the hood to remove it. I learned that there's a metal hook around the latch that keeps the hood from basically decapitating you in an accident! I'm glad it's there.
Cut up hood to remove.
Cut up hood to remove.
Cut Hod.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
With the parts removed, you can see the full extent of the damage. There are many bits to inspect further including my A/C condenser and battery. There were signs of contact on the battery.
Hit hard.
Hit hard.
Crunched.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
There's not a lot to salvage here. I was hoping that the radiator support was intact, but it looks like that got bent in and the radiator is contacting the orange cooling fan so that it cannot spin. In fact, the radiator is bent around the fan. Ugh.
Closeup of Hit Hard.
Closeup of Hit Hard.
Crucnhed Closeup.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
Final closeup of driver side area. I'm going to need to replace it all at this point. I can't see bending anything back here.
Nothing to save.
Nothing to save.
Carnage.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
I've reached out to Ralph to figure out what bits I can get and how to transport it from the LA area to the bodyshop in Mountainview. The saga continues. It'll be a while, but we can rebuild her!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ugh, not pretty :(

Song, curious what shop you are using, as the green beast was repaired and a complete repaint at Autobahn, basically right behind BMW of Mountain View \:D/
Bobbo
kronus

Post by kronus »

actually these photos show a lot of good news. it looks like your impact was all above the frame rail - straightening that out is a big pain to deal with, and the impact looks like it would have definitely exceeded the 5mph bumper shocks' capabilities.

a new nose and rad support will be necessary, but that's the only major non-bolt on thing that will need to be done. I see a couple complete nose sections on ebay for a couple hundred bucks each.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

GRNSHRK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:55 pm Ugh, not pretty :(

Song, curious what shop you are using, as the green beast was repaired and a complete repaint at Autobahn, basically right behind BMW of Mountain View \:D/
No, I had to call around a few shops before finding one willing to take on a car of this age. It's not any of those shops you listed and the jury is out on the job they will do so I don't want to say who it is yet. If they do a good job, great! If not, then... Either way, I'll let you know.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

kronus wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:00 am actually these photos show a lot of good news. it looks like your impact was all above the frame rail - straightening that out is a big pain to deal with, and the impact looks like it would have definitely exceeded the 5mph bumper shocks' capabilities.

a new nose and rad support will be necessary, but that's the only major non-bolt on thing that will need to be done. I see a couple complete nose sections on ebay for a couple hundred bucks each.
Thanks for your observations. I was dumbfounded that there wasn't a mark on the bumper! It looks like the headlight and nose took all the damage. I think the bumper went under the other car. Good news is that I think you are right that the frame didn't take much of the impact. Ralph has a new nose for me and I am ordering a new radiator, lights, etc. The trick is transport from LA, which is about 6-7 hours away depending on traffic.

If anyone out there has advice on where to cut or if there's a thread with the info and pictures, that would be greatly appreciated. The body shop hasn't been super communicative and I am just trusting them at this point. I guess when the replacement nose comes in, we will have a good idea of what needs to be removed/replaced. Anyhow, I have some time to research this before things start to show up.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
What soldering station did you use to make your circuit board repairs? I hope the body work is moving ahead successfully. We're all praying for you.
Ken
Sansouci
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
When you replaced the transmission cross shaft seal, was there a nut or washer to hold the seal in place? Mine is leaking and it doesn't look like it has either. Let me know as I have the seals.
Ken
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:03 pm Song,
When you replaced the transmission cross shaft seal, was there a nut or washer to hold the seal in place? Mine is leaking and it doesn't look like it has either. Let me know as I have the seals.
Ken
No, the seal was in there tight and it was very hardened. I had to use a drywall screw and then pliers to lever it out and it shattered like hard plastic. I just used the appropriate diameter socket to tap the new seal in. The gear selector lever goes over it so that probably keeps it from popping out, although I don't think there's a lot of pressure in there to push it out. Since my replacement, it's been dry from that spot.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:19 pm Song,
What soldering station did you use to make your circuit board repairs? I hope the body work is moving ahead successfully. We're all praying for you.
Ken
I bought mine a long time ago from a Radio Shack! That store doesn't exist anymore. However, searching on Amazon, this is pretty close. https://smile.amazon.com/MMOBIEL-Helpin ... 570&sr=8-7

I remember paying like $30 for it. What I really needed was the magnifying glass so that I could see the joints better. Also separately I got a soldering iron with a small pointy tip. My normal Weller pistol unit was too big. I discovered it doesn't take much heat for the tiny solder blobs to reflow.

I looked for any cracks between the pins and the solder. When it wasn't obvious, I just reflowed it anyway. You just have to touch it for a second or two. The trickiest part was remembering which joints had been done! There were so many in the ECU. I did find one leg to a power transistor that had a really weird solder joint. It looked liked there was some metal wrapped around a leg and there was a bit of a hollow part in the solder. To that joint, I added more solder.

OK, that's what I recall.

Oh that last comment - praying - is a bit strong! I am not doing much right now, just waiting for and gathering parts. I've been purchasing things and noticing how much more expensive they have become. For example, I remember buying a Nissens radiator for about $180 when I got the car. I just ordered one from FCP for $214. There's not much more to update until I get parts. Been kinda quiet.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
My shaft seal is leaking on the other side which only has the shaft but no control rod. I will replace both at the same time for good measure. I've been looking at a Hakko or knock off station that is temperature controlled with a variety of tips and of course a strong magnifier.
Regards,
Ken
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ralph to the Rescue!

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I met up with Ralph and got the final bits needed to really go after the repair of my car.
First, I had to include this picture to prove that you can actually get the entire front nose of an e24 into the interior of a 5 series, if you remove the seats!
It actually fits inside a 5 series!
It actually fits inside a 5 series!
Front Nose in Car.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1692 times
As for the hood, it didn't fit in our SUV and I had to tie it to the roof rack for the 40 minute drive to the shop.
The hood is bigger than it looks.
The hood is bigger than it looks.
Roof Hood.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1692 times
All the bits are dropped off at the shop and I'll be in touch with the shop owner next week to see where we go from here.
Sitting and waiting.
Sitting and waiting.
Parts for e24.png (2.12 MiB) Viewed 1692 times
I believe he'll get my car on a frame machine to pull out some of the front just so we can remove the radiator, which was wrapped around the cooling fan. Then based on the nose I got, he'll figure out where to cut or drill out various spot welds to get the front end off. I'm just glad we are moving on to the next step. It's been 2 months since my accident.

Stay tuned for a shark repair...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Was a little bit cramped in there with shark nose co-pilot.

Progress Song!!

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Operation Begins - a new Shark nose

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I got to visit the sick shark and see what it looks like when the nose is off!
First, I am glad to report that there was no sign of frame damage. It was all sheet metal as I had hoped. Approaching the car, you can tell something is not normal!
Something is missing
Something is missing
Front 3_4.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1573 times
The front of the car had been pulled, straightening what was save-able and all of the bent metal had been cut off. Well, save for a bit of the nose on the passenger side, but that will be gone in time. It looks like they were able to save the battery tray, which was folded, and get it reasonably straight again.
View of the battery tray, which is going to be saved.
View of the battery tray, which is going to be saved.
Driver High.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1573 times
I had a conversation with the guy doing the work. Turns out he's been at this for close to 40 years. I didn't question, just listened to his idea and thinking process. He was going to save as much as he can. In this shot, you can see how the radiator was wrapped around the fan. It's amazing that it didn't leak at all, even if the radiator is toast.
Radiator fan shape very visible.
Radiator fan shape very visible.
Driver side.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1573 times
Here's another shot straight on from the front. It looks so different missing all the front bits. This is a temporary phase. We will build it back!
Front shot at a lower level.
Front shot at a lower level.
Front.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1573 times
According to the body man, he'll have this done inside of two days. Then it'll be time to turn it over to paint. I'm going to try and get some pics along the way. It's been challenging since the shop is not close to my house. In any case, I am excited to see the carnage and progress.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
TimU

Post by TimU »

Progress is progress!

While the fenders are off, see if you can extend your sunroof drain hose and give the fender fender internals some sort of anti-rust coating to keep them happy for years to come.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

TimU wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:04 am Progress is progress!

While the fenders are off, see if you can extend your sunroof drain hose and give the fender fender internals some sort of anti-rust coating to keep them happy for years to come.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look for those items the next time I am at the shop.
I'll be good to see it all come together again.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Wow, quite the progress indeed =D>

Song, curious if your 6er was totaled by your insurance company or not :-k

You don't have to answer here, or you could PM me :-"
Bobbo
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

TimU wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:04 am Progress is progress!

Aren't the sunroof drains running down the C pillar? Or do I need to clean out drains in the front?
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo