87 M6 A/C QUESTION

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

emac

87 M6 A/C QUESTION

Post by emac »

Drove the M6 today and used the ac. The rear ac blew very cold, but the front was hit or miss. No matter where I dialed the front temo knob the ac just didnt get very cold in the front. Seemed to work better if I turned the rear temp up about half way. i am thinking the front temp controller knob isnt doing its job. Any thoughts? Seemed to work fine the last time I drove it. Thanks!
cmcgettrick

Re: 87 M6 A/C QUESTION

Post by cmcgettrick »

Typically this is a sign that there is a leak in the system. If you had said the front was cold and the rear was warm then I would say the rear expansion valve is most likely the problem. Have someone check the system to be sure.
Chuck
1988 E24 M6
emac

Post by emac »

Thanks Chuck, that would make sense. The system has enough charge to run one but not both. I know the previous owner replaced something he called the suction throttle valve. He put a lot of effort into getting the AC right. May just be down on the charge a little.

ernest
TimU

Post by TimU »

This is a typical sign of a failed "Voltage Regulator" which controls the coolant flow between the front and rear evaporator coils.
The VR is located in the engine bay, part number 64511380659.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 4511380659
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

I remember reading somewhere that it may be possible to clean the "voltage regulator". Anyone have any experience with this?