Can we talk about the Tech Articles section please?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TimU

Can we talk about the Tech Articles section please?

Post by TimU »

The Tech Articles section in a fantastic information resource with hundreds of great articles, but I get frustrated when I've spent a significant amount of time to craft a post intended as a public reference article, only for it to be added to the Tech Articles forum which is hidden behind a paywall.

It's nice to have all the great articles together in one place, but unfortunately when a post is added to the Tech Articles section, it causes the original article to become inaccessible to public (unregistered) users and search engines.
Articles in the TA forum area are only accessible to registered forum users and new forum registrations now require payment.

This creates a problem when I've published an article and shared it externally, only for it to be paywalled a few hours later, effectively black-holing the info.

I totally respect Brian's prerogative on how the site should be run and monetised, however having my articles locked behind a paywall is a huge frustration for me; Doubly-so when requests to UNDO the move are not acknowledged.

I've tried to work around the issue by creating new [cross-posts] in the TA section which link back to the original article, but sometimes our helpful Mods will still add the original article to the TA section anyway.

Mods and @BCAdmin - Can we review the setup (or the process) of adding posts to the Tech Articles forum please?
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
bcadmin

Re: Can we talk about the Tech Articles section please?

Post by bcadmin »

Tim

I must admit I assumed this was addressed by one of the mods

If you do a write up and do not want it moved to the Tech Section, I respect that. I’ll get them moved for you by tomorrow
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

Also

Your last write up was amazing!!!
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
TimU

Post by TimU »

Thanks, someone moved it back yesterday :)
Appreciate the encouraging words.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I understand your point of view, but is it so bad to expect individuals using this source to help pay towards the upkeep? If it wasn't for Brian continually improving and maintaining this site, we wouldn't have everything at our fingertips that we currently enjoy!

Just my 2c :wink:
TimU

Post by TimU »

This is really not a debate about the pros and cons of monetising the forum. That's entirely Brian's prerogative on how he wants to support the upkeep of the site.

I thought the point I was trying to make was pretty clear in my OP :-k
04/1986 635csi Euro spec