Bell housing and Getrag mounted separately

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

msoft

Bell housing and Getrag mounted separately

Post by msoft »

Here comes a stupid question; it is a pain to get to the upper bell housing bolts when mounting the transmission in my 635. Has anyone tried to mount the bell hosing first, aligning the clutch release bearing roughly, and then mount the transmission separately? Is it doomed to fail?
20220811_172420.jpg
20220811_172420.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 585 times
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bell housing and Getrag mounted separately

Post by olympia57 »

I have a manual conversion for my car that has a split bellhousing 265/6 gearbox.
I recently spoke to Rob (wattsmonkey) on this very question and he confirmed my same thoughts in that it was perfectly doable to mount the flywheel/clutch properly with a good alignment tool and then attach the bellhousing prior to fitting the gearbox.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Don
1981 635 series 1
msoft

Post by msoft »

That sounds great. Once I get the gearbox back from restoration, I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks.
msoft

Post by msoft »

The refurbished gearbox is now back in place together with new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and shaft seal. It went very smooth mounting the bellhousing prior to fitting the gearbox. Indeed, I failed aligning the clutch disk so the axle did not align with the pilot bearing and the last couple of centimeters did not go in. That was solved by mounting the clutch slave cylinder and pressing the clutch pedal once. As the clutch disk was released, the axle aligned with the bearing and problem solved :-)

20220920_190054.jpg
20220920_190054.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 447 times