Loud Ringing / Exhaust Hanging Issues?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

L.Tigre

Loud Ringing / Exhaust Hanging Issues?

Post by L.Tigre »

I got my 6er back Friday from the shop where it got a new clutch and front end work.

Drives great now; but it emits out a persistent and very loud ringing sound. Literally like an old 1950s telephone was under my car. It's an intermittent noise, but more on than off. The ringing only really stops when the car is stationary. That led me to believe it's driveline related.

During all that work, my mechanic took off this bracket (see pic); he said it was rusted to the point where it was barely holding on. It's an exhaust mount near the transmission where he was working (just near the red button on the light, in the photo).

I can't help but notice there's also a mounting rod on the catalytic converter un-attached to anything. That makes two mounting points near the front-end of the exhaust that don't mount to anything. Pic shows underbody view from the drivers side; the bracket held toward the front, near the left-side of the pic.

Looking at the exhaust from the right side, I can only see one hanger toward the rear of the car, and it seems to be on its last legs.

So my diagnosis is:the exhaust is under-constrained and moving a lot while driving, and banging the driveline leading to the ring. Thoughts? Agree or disagree? Anyone seen this before?
Attachments
IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5408.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 423 times
IMG_5404.jpeg
IMG_5404.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 423 times
IMG_5407.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 423 times
L.Tigre

Re: Loud Ringing / Exhaust Hanging Issues?

Post by L.Tigre »

Update: I was able to re-install the bracket. No luck; the telephone continued. Tried various things and finally found a collar around the center mount was loose and basically floating along the shaft as it turned. I tightened that and now all is well. Exhaust replacement is on the to-do-list however...
plip1953

Re: Loud Ringing / Exhaust Hanging Issues?

Post by plip1953 »

I had something similar recently with the exhaust on a Mercedes. Thought it might end up needing a complete new exhaust, but thankfully a new clamp and was good to again.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi