Which A/C hoses do I need?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rooban

Which A/C hoses do I need?

Post by rooban »

Hi all,

I am in them process of fixing up my 1986 M6. It was transported from Canada to EU so all the liquids and gases were drained. I wanted to refill the A/C but a leak was discovered in one of the hoses. Since replacing an A/C hose may require a lot of time disassembling and I do not have a garage nor the tools and skills to do it all by myself, I am probably better off replacing all hoses at once.

Since I am not a mechanic and just a fanboy, my knowledge is quite limited, so sorry if some questions may seem obvious. Also, please correct me where I got it wrong.

My car (VIN WBAEE1401H2560257) seems to be built with the S823A Hot Climate package (not 100% sure but it was originally sold in Florida and it has the #64511380659 voltage regulator),
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (622.36 KiB) Viewed 797 times
which means it has fuel cooling in addition to dual A/C.

Here are the hoses I think I am going to need but I would like to ask for help clarifying:

1. 64501380308 - is this a hose or a pipe? Pipe is less likely to have a leak IMHO and just plain replacing EVERYTHING just in case is just too expensive.
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (911.8 KiB) Viewed 797 times
2. "Hose evaporator - compressor" as some diagrams but in reality it runs from the voltage regulator to the compressor. And here it gets messy for me. This is what I have (marked with a white X)
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (990.26 KiB) Viewed 797 times
. The part number should be 64531386663, but I couldn't find a real picture to verify it's the correct part (I started doubting after I saw some diagrams showing just a hose without the top part with the fuel cooling tubes)
3. 64539067595 (compressor -> condenser).
4. 64 531381075 (condenser -> dryer).
Anything else that has hoses and may leak? Talking only about the A/C circuit right now.

Thanks a lot!
Mark

P.S. Tons of questions will follow :)

P.P.S. What is the best site for parts and diagram references? I mostly use realoem.com but in the case of A/C hoses I had to change M6 to M635CSI in order to find the hoses that look like the ones that are actually on my car.. http://bmwfans.info/ also seems like a good source.